Golden tincture to -dark brown crude,what is wrong,?

I extract at -50 for 30 min,then filtering with 5 micrno filter paper in buchner.After that i do filter cake with Celite 545 and AC and filter again.
My tincture after filtering is golden clear.

I recover Ethanol with moonshine still and then decarb on hot plate stirrer for 1 h on 110 C and 1,5 h
My crude comes out dark brown,what am i doing wrong?
The crude is for tinctures and i want a better color.

You’re concentrating the crude, that will make it darker. Not sure how to lighten up alcohol extracts though. Sorry.

I think there is a thread on color remediation with alcohol though.

3 Likes

Happens every time you add heat. I have probably 500 gallons evaporated and about 5 gallons of crude I’ve made under my belt.

1 Like

Same happens to me. The infamous LostBiologist has a vid on instagram of EHO spinning in the rotovap with most of the solvent removed that is yellow. So it is possible. Maybe with incredibly cold solvent (-80C) and incredibly short residence time (less than 5 min). Haven’t tried that yet b/c at the moment I’m more concerned with yield.

You’re planning on diluting it, so it should lighten up again…

Decarbing catalytically, or under an inert gas are possible solutions to oxidation/degradation

1 Like

If your problem is it’s going in as a filtered light “tincture” and coming out a dark brown crude it’s cause you’re distilling at too high of a temp. You distill your filtered “tincture” at 30° for a light to golden yellow concentrate.

3 Likes

doh!!

@GroovyOctopusLabs is on point. if you’re recovering your solvent at atmosphere, you’re doing it way too hot. if you want the lightest possible extract, you need to remove your solvent under vacuum. preferably below 35C.

decarb is still going to darken things, but less so if done under N2 or Argon. Haven’t tried catalytic decarb, but a quick search here should reveal how it’s accomplished.

2 Likes

Thanks for your answers guys.
When i placed extract with some ethanol on hot stirrer it is still golden color,but after decarb. darken realy bad.
Do you think decarb under vacum in rotovap will make a difference?

This is what i got after dilute with MCT

And this is what i want.This is a CO2 extraction

The only way to get light coloured crude is to do a very cold extraction (-60 and below) with a residence time dialed in in a way that you get cannabinoids but not much of other things. Usually it will require two washes. Very short and cold one to get golden/amber crude and second one to get rest of the cannabinoids (this one will be darker as you are going to pick up other stuff as well).