Globular Distillate

Alright, this is going to be long as I am going to try and be as descriptive as I can.

I’ve been running distillate for awhile now and have never seen anything like what I am dealing with now. My procedure is as follows:
Begin by melting down my crude in a 10:1, ethanol to crude, then winterize over night buried in dry ice. Filter everything over diatomaceous earth, then use a rotary vape to remove ethanol. Dump crude into my short path and start collecting mains, usually around 180C mantle temp, 170C vapor temp (I also run a hot condenser at around 190C that I lower as I raise the temp of my mantle). Then I will almost always run a second pass to clean up the color. Usually I hit 90-95% THC Delta 9. But this stuff has me stumped.
I ran through this usual process, poured my distillate into mason jars then left for the night. When I cam back the next morning my jars had a snow globe looking crash in them. (I don’t have a picture of this as I was certain it was fats as my filter broke during the process and I expected a small amount to have gotten through.) I melted everything back down in etoh and re winterized but was surprised to see almost no fats? Though I did observe an oil like substance on the top of my solution.
I did pull off some fats though so figured I was good, roto’d off the ethanol and ran the distillate again. Everything looked good so I disassembled my short path, left the distillate in the rbf and left for the night. Came back too this…

I melted it down to send a sample off to test and let it reset over night and came back to this…

and got these test results…

After a few days (while waiting for test results) it continued to fully crash into this…

From here i decided to see how it reacted in different solvents and was able to get a precipitate to form in a SMALL amount of heptane (too much heptane and the sample would fully dissolve with no precipitate)

So I melted everything down in minimal heptane and was able to isolate a fairly large amount of this…

Once dry it’s chalky and has almost a shale like structure to it where I can see individual layers forming, it’s easy to snap but very strong if I apply pressure to the sides (ie squueze lengthwise between my fingers)
Sent this small sample off to testing and basically got the unknown peak in the original chromatogram pictured above and minimal cannabinoids.
I proceeded to roto off the excess heptane, poured in a large beaker and again let sit over the weekend only to come back to this…

I poured off the more liquid portion into a seperate beaker only to come back to this the next morning…

Has anyone seen anything like this before? My testing facility is stumped and we have gone back and forth for awhile now trying to figure out what this could be. The people who supplied the material told me they use Nuke’em and Azamax as well as spray sulfur(?). There is no sulfur smell. The biggest thing that has me absolutely stumped is the amount of thca still present when this stuff has been heated multiple times! Hoping to hear what y’all have to say!

2 Likes

It appears to be more THCa than THC, have you run a small sample on decarb until it stops bubbling?

this is super interesting… im sorry I have nothing of value to offer for an answer, but man am I intrigued.

3 Likes

not sure how… hes distilling. his temps are more than into the decarb range and hes ran it through multiple times at this point…

Could there be a wook pranking you? I don’t understand how the THCa is able to be distilled without being converted to THC unless you are able to distill close to or below decarb temps. If you know what is being added to the boiling flask that is converting the THC back into THCa, please let me know since I would rather produce THCa myself.

Looks and behaves just like when you distill CBG, but analytics suggest something else…

3 Likes

The THCa crystals that I get in crude oil don’t look like those, they look like multi facet crystals. The crystals I’ve gotten of d10 were more like tiny spikes

2 Likes

We have had discrepancies with our testing labs unfortunately… so I am leaning towards not believing it. I want to send it off to someone else, but just because of how heavily it’s crashing EVERY time I let it sit for an extended period I am leaning more towards believing.
And the only possible thing that I personally could’ve added is diatomaceous earth but I’ve definitely had this in my bf before and the only side effect I’ve seen from it is a really nasty gum left in the bf after completing my run.

Yeah, the nucleation sites I can see on the sides are like tiny sunbursts, like the beginning of a bloom. Strangely I can seem them in my short path as well right after my condenser.

I have not. Will try this and see what I can get it to do👍🏻

This is super odd. Your analytics suggest it’s THCA. I didn’t think it was possible for that to happen. Weird AF

Occam’s razor would suggest, change your testing lab.

2 Likes

Most definitely. But even setting that aside, why the strange formation? What would behave this way?
ETA
I skipped the cbg comment. Will have to look into spending more money I guess🫠

I’m also inclined to believe the chromotagram as the main errors we’ve experienced have been techs improperly entering data. Whereas for these I’ve been directly communicating with the owner as she has been as interested as the rest of
Not to mention I trust the other labs even less…

Bro you going to Beach and you see a nice shiny cube sitting on the table you ask what it is someone tells you it’s a ice cube you say okay you go away come back a couple hours later that shiny cube is still sitting there on the table you ask what it is they tell you an ice cube you sit back and you think not very likely you come back the next day you see the same shiny cube sitting on a table on the beach on a hot summer day for more than 24 hours straight unchanged… It’s not a fucking ice cube.

Also by the way you are running your condenser hotter than what you are running your boiling flask?

1 Like

D10?

@alexsiegel

3 Likes

lol Ohk dude it’s not behaving like D9 either so you’re point is moot. Please enlighten me to what you think it is and i will go down that route as well. I’m open to suggestions, it’s why I posted :woman_shrugging:t2: I accepted what you said and am looking into other options, currently trying to get my local university to run it with a larger panel. I was simply explaining my reasoning as to why I might be inclined to trust the lab I’m using atm

I was thinking this at first too! Hopefully I can get a few more analytics ran and get some consistency on my results.

1 Like

Looks like a d10 bloom. My eyes are not hplcs though but only time I’ve seen a formation like that it was “d10”

3 Likes

Yeah id go back to the source, where did u aquire the crude? If u made it urself from biomass using traditional trim and ETH or BHO, then weve got ourselves an anomaly.
If u aquired it from another source, it might just be converted soup from cbd

1 Like