Getting ready for 1st Nitro Assist BHO Run

You’d also want to use N2 push when running extremely cold gas and dewaxing column. It forces it through, where otherwise it wouldn’t move past 0PSI.

3 Likes

Im getting ready to get a nitrogen tank ready. So a steel tank and a regulator. Can someone post a link to the preasure release valves ill need. And do you need to vent your niteogen into another area .like op does.with the parkng lot?

Yes, i release into another area as well. I dont have a PRV yet but i do burp it out of my column every so often.

So I’ve now done a couple of runs pushing with nitro. Its awesome. I leave the solvent tank in the freezer in dry ice/acetone, push the solvent into the material column, and into the collection base. Burp the nitro out of the tank and column, and recover passively. The solvent tank never leaves the dry ice. I find this to be a much more efficeint way to run on my small scale. It saves time and dry ice, plus yields a superior product due to the low temps. Its a win all the way around.

I also noticed my paper filter stack didn’t like the pressure, as they tore from venting the nitro out of the column. I believe it would be correct to vent out the top of the column as opposed to the collection pot. That abrupt change in pressure with about .500" of unsupported depth behind the paper filter, is tearing them. I’ve got a 25 micron mesh gasket below the filter stack, so my redundant fail safe got me covered. But I’m going to machine some new filter stack hardware. I have access to a few CNC mills and wire EDMs so i should be able to come up with something.

8 Likes

What size nitro take should I get? What’s an estimated usage per run? I don’t want to buy one and it be to small

1 Like

It would all depend on your throughput. I only extract for personal head stash…so a 20cf tank was fine for me. But if i did this every day, I’d have praxair rent me a full size tank…just like an argon or acetylene bottle.

3 Likes

Well unfortunately the welding shop I get my dry ice won’t rent the tank. so I have to purchase it and don’t want to get one that won’t last me at least the 3 days I run every week. Maybe I’ll have to find a place around that will also rent the tank to figure out the best size.

Well, if i did this every week, I’d have a 125cf tank of it. But I’m the guy who has most other gasses in tank form around already…so another tank of that size would fit in nicely.

My 20cf bottle has 4 pushes on it and looks to have about 4 left, but i only move 5 lbs of butane at 50 psi. The tank is a 10 lb tank to give an idea of the headspace the nitro is filling.

How much solvent are you moving?

1 Like

Moving 18-20 lbs of solvent over 5lbs of material into dewax, then collection. 4-6 runs a week

1 Like

Sounds like you could use a 125cf. I’m sure people much more knowledgeable than i will be along shortly.

one thing i hate…is running out of shielding gas mid weld, on that important fixture you had to get done…but now your in your truck going to praxair. I already wish I bought a bigger nitro tank lol.

And on nitro at praxair specifically…the food grade and non food grade come from the same tank, down the same line, to the same fill station. The difference is they test batches of the food grade for contaminants…take that for what ever its worth…

1 Like

Renting will cost you way more in the end, if I wanted the biggest one they made I had to rent, was a K. I got an 80 $20 to refill

Mines about chest high, I’ve used 5 50psi bumps and she still going, it’s my first tank

2 Likes

I vent both top column and pot…

Do it slowly so u don’t tear papers…if the on filter plate you must really be venting fast,I have 6 plates and it didn’t tear one paper bc the rings in tight, I also quit trying to cut my papers the exact size and use them like coffee filter cup now letting the ring press it in, but crack it and let it go slowly

2 Likes

I knew venting too fast is what did it. I figure i can do something to support the paper, and still vent fast. Maybe i should just do it slower. I’ve always vented a pressurized vessel filled with butane in an expeditious manner…not wanting to drag out the lingering fumes. But i also dont know what im doing outside of my reading and personal experience.

How do i reply to a specific message? I tried to reply to StondD but it didnt put his little circle in the reply right upper corner of the reply

2 Likes

It still notified me

What kind retainers are over ur papers?.. Hook a hose to it and vent outside?

1 Like

Oh im already outside. I come from open blasting. My previous safety precaution was to go work on the banks of a river away from everything. I still work outside.

The retainers are just the fat stainless rings, the filter paper is oversized, and held in place quite well. But i can cut something out of 316 stainless right quick and have myself something superior that will solve my problem. If i find an opportunity to use my trade to make something for my extractor i do it…when passions cross paths…

5 Likes

newbie question!! How do you recover the N2??? Any info would be super helpful thanks in advance!!!

1 Like

You don’t.

ok, so do you just bleed off and waste it or is there a poss to recover???

You just bleed it off. You need to make sure your solvent is below its boiling point so you don’t bleed out any explosive gas

3 Likes

Ya gotta bleed the nitrogen.

2 Likes