Getting MCT oil out of distillate

Some yutz tried to make vape fluid with MCT oil. Long story short I told him it’s not good for him and he wants the distillate back after I told him to use a proper fluid base.

Will it separate via another short-path pass? Will the MCT mess up the distillate?

Edit just found another thread, looks like they’re nearly inseparable?

1 Like

Do you know of any tests or papers showing MCT vaped in a cart is harmful?

6 Likes

Dunno, some people posted some scares about pneumonia or something?

Na man lipid pneumonia is a myth with fractioned MCT oil brother. I’m not sure who started that rumor maybe terpene sellers… Non fractioned coconut oil could do it but not medium chain fractioned amino acids

6 Likes

I find that mixing and vaping MCT leaves brown streaks in the oil. At least with ceramic coils.

5 Likes

Interesting is this in the or CBD carts?

1 Like

I only do THC distillate at this point

I also find that I get darker oil with PG based flavoring throughout the lifetime of the carts. But no streaking.

2 Likes

Good luck getting MCT out of your distillate. Winterize it first then do an SPD run, MCT has a similar boiling point to THC so some will distill with your thc fraction leaving your distillate smelling like decay. This is why i don’t use MCT oil

2 Likes

Isnt a strong solubility a positive thing for a diluent?

Does not prove MCT is harmful or non harmful.

I am a licensed health care provider and agree with you, there is no data out there proving it is harmful. ( at least I have not seen any data ). If someone has please share.

5 Likes

Remember this about that study posted above too:

5 Likes

Very informative, thank you!

1 Like

I mean, nothing we’re doing is anywhere close to natural. So… Who knows. That benzene thing was kind of alarming though.

2 Likes

The Lipid Pnumonia = coconut oil myth came from a group of studies where people who were essentially gargling coconut oil (oil pulling) developed lipoid pnumonia…

I always say MCT isnt proven safe to inhale, but out of any readily available cutting agent, i have seen the least fouling/ dissatisfaction with MCT. its the only one that doesnt set off my asthma.

@tweedledew Winterization will definitely do something, as should some T5/ T41 filtration. PAst that i think you could try to denature the fatty acids into some insoluble form i.e. degumming. @Shadownaught any thoughts?

1 Like

That might be interesting, citric acid degum or heptane/salt rinse.

I’m humming and hawing about just starting a vape fluid brand since I’ve got 400g of my own oil stuck in there.

Also… Are there any more/less issues dabbing MCT? It does have a consistency that would be good for a syringe.

What MCT are you guys using? Theres a lot of it out there

1 Like

I’m trying to find out what the cut was

Hey, wild idea… What about using methanol? It doesn’t really take on fats/waxes and I don’t think its miscible with oils either. And has strong cannabinoid affinity!

Did a control with the MCT and methanol equal parts. They appear immiscible.

Doing a 40g sample
The cut is 27% MCT oil (yuck) and 73% distillate (97%+ thc)

Estimating 10.8g of coconut oil settling at the bottom.

Shook it in a jar at room temp with 60g of methanol to 40g of distillate mix. Not noticing much separation off the start. Might need to reduce the methanol portion.

*Edit didn’t notice much activity. Split the batch in half and put it into the freezer.

Yes i do know of tests. My own lungs. Note: mct, weed etc will all lead to unhealthy lungs. #Facts. No questions asked.

2 Likes