Getting MCT oil out of distillate

I literally just got done dealing with some wax with MCT in it today, you can winterize it, filter it, and distill it all you want youll never get all of it out lol i even tried winterizing in methanol AND ethanol over night, it still smells like charred terpenes after distillation. Smell your distillate after and tell me what you think lol

1 Like

Fuck :frowning: this asshat threw 380g of my distillate in with that.

We’ll see if anything falls out. Otherwise I’ve got a bunch of terps to mix in and start a vape line lol.

Did anything get “some” out?

Yes, some of itll come out. Theres something that wont though and itll make your distillate smell bad

I’ll just winterize out what I can then leave the rest and not re-distill.

You could do that, it wouldnt smell

If you used methanol though i would. Youll kill people with ANY residual. Methanol is super toxic for humans.

2 Likes

I’ll make sure it’s all gone, but the beer, wine & cider we drink certainly wouldn’t even pass parts per thousand let alone ppm

I remember reading somewhere that an 8-oz glass of fruit juice contains 100 to 150 mg of methanol. You might find a way to test it via gas chromatograph but just try to purge it very well you should be fine

1 Like

If someone tests your distillate and methanol comes up i guarantee youre going to have problems, most people dont know methanol is in alcohols. Were also INHALING it not drinking it, big difference.

Heres what google says about it

Id distill it. Its better to be safe then sorry.

1 Like

Yeah I definitely took a peak at all the MSDS. I can’t afford to have $4000 of oil smell like death forever. With the boiling point at 60c I’ll run it up to 120c under vacuum with agitation. The methanol will be way gone.

1 Like

Looks like a bunch of fat globules dropped out!
Also had the strange side effect of some potential color remediation? Left and right are same oil. Though the headspace in the dark jar might also be the reason for some darkening.

2 Likes

Was this terped? Alcohols love terpenes

1 Like

Nope was just a lightly red second pass distillate

Ran another experiment at a 6:1 methanol//oleo
There looked like there was a bunch of stuff dropping out, got worried cannabanoids would get into the mix. Gonna compare the wax quantities of the 2:1 and 6:1 samples before I do the full 600g

1 Like

Its pushing the mct out, some will come out but some of it wont and when distilled it smells worse then anything ive ever smelled tbh

2 Likes

Update!
Dropped out a ton of fats!
Didn’t affect the runny-ness however.
I’m theorizing that it dropped out the thicker oils fraction’s of the MCT and left me with the runniest portions of it, leaving the texture unscathed.

Not too sure what to do. Alot of $$ tied up in there.
Might just package it with turps and start my vape fluid mini-empire

3 Likes

https://sci-hub.tw/https://doi.org/10.1007/s11746-014-2575-2

1 Like

https://sci-hub.tw/https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.1060.151#

use glycerine leave to separate.
MCT with a density of under 1 will be on top and the cannabis oil glycerol on the bottom with a densiy of over 1.2.
separate then use water and an alkane to extract from glycerine.

I give this in thanks of kingofkush im able to medicate for the rest of my life now thankyou

BEE well :slight_smile:

methanols dielectric constant is around 32 but glycerols is around 42.
the paper I supplied shows it will work.

also if by chance or sloppy tech you have some left glycerol is used in vape pens.

from what I have read glycerol will dissolve around 30% of its weight in cannabis oil.

sorry I was not here when it counted.

cold HCl in heptane under argon for CBD to delta 9 king you are an angel
thankyou for sharing.

50 edits later :slight_smile:
I would say that stirring for 10 minutes or so before leaving to separate might be a wise move.
repeat process on extracted MCT three times like a good BEE

4 Likes

Do you happen to have a source on that?

I’ve tested several different folks glycerin tinctures and that number seems off by at least and order of magnitude, possibly two based on my experience with cannabinoids and glycerin.

1 Like