General Distillate Questions

Seems too good to be true that they were able to get yield without Winterizing, but yes, horizontal rectification or fractionation (aka hot condenser tek) works very well to remove red impurity.

3 Likes

Exactly! Right on the nose!

1 Like

Iā€™m just ending things for a minute, but i have heat transfer liquid on the way, so Iā€™m going to try it out. Iā€™ve been doing the setup, but have only gotten the condenser to 90c. This leads to very pale yellow product coming through the condenser which immediately gets a red top line before it goes into the rf and a lot of condensate hits the walls and drips down the glass. This definitely seems like Iā€™m not getting the temps high enough, thus my product still comes out redish in volume.

Im going to do side by side tests with winterized and and not winterized to see the results. Iā€™ll post them when Iā€™m done.

How hot are we talking? Would the red impurity just go into the cold trap?

1 Like

@xizqu
Breaking dabs has the op here on the forum. Gimme 2 sec.

This is the hot condenser tech. He started at 155c and has gone up to 175c. It depends on the run. He was at 90c with the head he just released.

3 Likes

@Renchi is correct about @anon42519203 original attempts before he got his diffusion pump up and running, @xizqu . The depth of vacuum makes a bigger difference in boiling point, the deeper vacuum is pulled, while pump speed makes less and less difference, the deeper vacuum is pulled. Itā€™s a balance, but ultimately I prefer quality (100% cannabinoids, perfect transparency) over quantity (volume of flask, speed of flow). To each his own, of course. I think I digressā€¦

Oh yeah! Start around 130Ā°C on the condenser. You need to run pure PG or other heating fluid (PG is just safer than most) through your condenser to get that hot. If it isnā€™t pushing the red out and across the downspout, into the secondary condenser, run it up higher. Just keep it below 180Ā°C, as that is where cannabinoids generally start vaporizing at typical roughing vacuumā€¦ and it just so happens to be right below the b.p. of PG. Self-limiting safety coincidence, or Godness? You be the judge!

If you apply diffusion level vacuum to a short path, b.p. of cannabinoids plummets below theoretical decomposition temperature, Iā€™m sure. Molecular distillation is nifty that way! :wink:

7 Likes

Roji use to run molecular distillation in an SPD. Lowest boiling point of the he ever got(at the very least, posted) was 154.4.

1 Like

Iā€™m willing to bet heā€™s out there doing even more amazing things, just biding his time and running silent with good reason!

1 Like

Helena Buds posted a distillate without degumming, dewaxing, winterizing, they DID however say there was carbon usedā€¦and plenty of it.

1 Like

Winterzing wasnā€™t needed due to ethanol extraction means.

2 Likes

@EtohEXTractor
They did say the extracted in room temp, so they pull all the unwanteds out anyway. I believe the hot condenser tech forces the waxes, fats and so on past the rf and into the volatiles flask or cold trap, thus making winterizing moot. Thatā€™s what i gleaned from breaking dabs at least. I could be wrong.

Edit: im still very curious to the loss of total cannabinoids due to the carbon scrub. Iā€™ve stayed clear from scrubbing since the person who taught me was adamant about izomerization and product loss. Someone here said lab tests on some scrubbed carbon came back 9% thc.

2 Likes

I think there is a lot of misconception about charcoal scrub. I have not encountered noticeable loss when filtering with activated charcoal but I also take time to rinse the charcoal with warm ethanol until the charcoal is gray and filtrate is 100% transparent and free of color. This is done after the desired solution is filtered over celite. From what I see not a lot of people take the time for the extra warm ethanol step. I do not have any proof it helps but I always observe yellow pigment (which I assume is canabinoids) that is released from the charcoal during the rinse.

4 Likes

I believe you are right about the extra wash being necessary to reclaim the cannabinoids.

1 Like

I know someone, I think it was Sage analytical, told me that they had measured carbon, post scrub (and in the trash) at 9% THC.

We were discussing the value of having any form of in house testingā€¦

1 Like

You will still get low delta 9 test results. Iā€™ve tried numerous ways. The best trick Iā€™ve found to carbon loading is doing 1-3% grams to volume. (100 ml~ 2-3 grams of carbon) also another trick is to put your carbon in the oven at 490f for 3-4 hours[under a vac if you can] that will help activate the carbon further!!!

1 Like

@Naturalascent , that is my original tek, pretty much to the letter. The vacuum bake is to remove adsorbed water (usually around 2%, but up to 5% mass, as packaged), and good old BBQ odor. :wink: It does isomerize the cannabinoids to varying degrees when using hardwood or coconut shell based food grade carbons (vacuum baked, of course), but maybe you use a special carbon? What brand and product name/number do you use? Do you get any Ī”8? If so, how much? Thank you!

@cyclopath , the customer version of the Sage Analytics NIR machine will most likely not read cannabinoids properly on carbon, due to it being an unfamiliar background, but I hope Iā€™m wrong!

@franzvon Do you get less than 15% post-Winterized mass loss from your ethanol:resin solution, while achieving good decoloring performance from your carbon by leaching the color out of it with fresh ethanol? I am genuinely curious. If so, what brand/product carbon do you use?

@etohextractor , right on! Thanks!

4 Likes

I use the neutralized carbon from summit. And Iā€™ve had success with it. No delta 8. Obviously the exposure to heat is where the most conversion happens with carbon. So what i do is, put the carbon in the oven to remove the water. And at the same time i decarb my crude at 125c for the same amount of time. I take it out of the oven (HOT AS FUCK) and throw it in the beaker on the boiling flask still hot. Itā€™s suepr easy to mix up because of how hot it is. I let it sit for 5 minutes to make sure there is full saturation. Then load that right away. First pass. And only pass needed. 150c condenser. And beautiful gold disty. 86% delta9 and 3% cbn. (Which i like, apparently the high is much different with cbn). I want t try carbons made out of barks. What do you think the difference would be? [quote=ā€œPhoton_noir, post:58, topic:2063, full:trueā€]
@Naturalascent , that is my original tek, pretty much to the letter. The vacuum bake is to remove adsorbed water (usually around 2%, but up to 5% mass, as packaged), and good old BBQ odor. :wink: It does isomerize the cannabinoids to varying degrees when using hardwood or coconut shell based food grade carbons (vacuum baked, of course), but maybe you use a special carbon? What brand and product name/number do you use? Do you get any Ī”8? If so, how much? Thank you!

@cyclopath , the customer version of the Sage Analytics NIR machine will most likely not read cannabinoids properly on carbon, due to it being an unfamiliar background, but I hope Iā€™m wrong!

@franzvon Do you get less than 15% post-Winterized mass loss from your ethanol:resin solution, while achieving good decoloring performance from your carbon by leaching the color out of it with fresh ethanol? I am genuinely curious. If so, what brand/product carbon do you use?

@etohextractor , right on! Thanks!
[/quote]

2 Likes

Nope. Youā€™re right. It was Orange Photonicsā€¦

1 Like

This step is crucial for yield. I would think an alkane solvent would be better to wash the charcoal as it will pull less color.

1 Like

Interesting, @Naturalascent ! I donā€™t know what it means that the carbon is neutralized, but apparently it works! I imagine soaking the carbon with some sort of base, then re-drying it would work. It sounds like the carbon itself is the key, here, so if you tried it with food grade carbon, you would most likely get Ī”8. I will try to find some neutral carbon that is made with food safe material, since anything labeled ā€œFor laboratory use only. Not for food and drug use!ā€ is just that.

@cyclopath Bummer! Well, thanks!

1 Like