Fresh frozen solvent ratios

What ratios are recommended for doing a fresh frozen run? I’m getting ready to try one for my first time and have most things figured out for my run, but have no clue to how much solvent to run.

For a normal dried material run, I do a 5:1 ratio. Did a cursory search for this answer but not having any luck.

As always, thanks in advance!

2 Likes

10:1. For wet material

So if you have small tank fill it up and run it all

3 Likes

You told me before, but I forgot and didn’t want to ask again lol. Thanks bro!

4 Likes

I’m curious to see if everyone still runs the same

2 Likes

Anyone else? More? Less? I’m all ears!

1 Like

7.5:1

1 Like

I recently ran my first live run
Wasn’t weighed, but 3"x18" dw column packed 3/4 full, out of 5 day freezer, dry ice/ iso added
Tank>coil>column>collection
All same cold, n2 for propellant
About 8lbs solvent through

4 Likes

:drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face:

2 Likes

I used to run 10:1 on a continuous flush, but still had residual thca in the biomass. Now I run 8:1 with the last 20% of solvent soaking in a dry ice jacketed column. If you’re concerned about throughput, just add columns to compensate

1 Like

This has been a source of contention between me and coworkers. Just to be clear, you are saying 7.5-10:1 ratio with the wet weight, Not accounting for water loss at all, right?

do you have in house analytics?

if you’ve got a testable hypothesis, why not test it and lay the subject to rest?

2 Likes

Don’t forget, return the info to us idiots without proper in house analytics if you do!

3 Likes

This thread has been dormant for a little while.

Hopefully someone reads…

If the crude extract amount contained in fresh frozen is say 3% of the wet but frozen weight.
Why would we use 7.5 to 10:1 solvent to fresh frozen weight?
The solvent wouldn’t be anywhere near its saturated level.

My thought is rather than using such and excess amount of solvent to run the low yeild of that contained in the FF mass and then having to recover all that solvent.

What are your thoughts on running say the dry equivalent amount of solvent, but just recirculate this lower amount of solvent through the FF for awhile. Could even run an inline heat exchanger to keep the solvent cold throughout the recirculating time so as not allowing it to warm up and melt the FF.

1 Like

My one experience recirculating solvent at 5:1 yielded less compared to pushing 8:1 without recirculating :man_shrugging: I think running a bunch of clean solvent over the material is necessary to push all of the oily solution out of the material. I flushed clean solvent over the recirulated run as well but probably wasn’t as much compared to running my normal ratio.

I’m sure tinkering with variables could get better results than I had but it doesn’t seem worth the time for me.

2 Likes

So… It’s now 2024, does anyone have any updated opinions/data on solvent ratios for fresh frozen?

1 Like