Fresh Frozen Flower Uses After Bubble

6 Likes

Honestly. I’ve tried solventless purple diamonds. You might as well just light your nose hairs on fire.

Pretty hype color. Garbage taste.

7 Likes

Amazing picture. I once helped someone convert CBD to THC and we then distilled as the last part to get pure THC. As we poured the collected THC into a vial it was reacting with air and light and in front of our eyes turned a rose pink color just like these diamonds.

@moveweight its a pure/isolated chemical. No way a pure chemical is going to have a good taste unfortunately. Unless its like a pure terp I guess.

2 Likes

stoned loses scissors

1 Like

This is something I’ve been thinking of late.

Do you wash your material right at harvest Thedawg?

Been thinking of the contaminants and dust that settles on my plant through its life. I’m growing in a room in my basement, isn’t ideal for the cleanest grow. Probably some of it making it into my bubble hash, is pre-washing material before freezing a reasonable thing to do?

1 Like

some dip the entire plant in 2%v hydrogen peroxide before hanging to dry…

see: Powdery mildew help - #12 by cyclopath

you don’t want any water on the trichomes when you freeze so “fresh” frozen might mean hung for 24hrs then frozen.

5 Likes

how does winterizing with ethanol count as “solvent-less”?!?

I agree the Co2 guys try that nonsense on their customers all the time, but I don’t understand why you would feed that line to yourself…

“solvent-free” might be appropriate

you can get to distillate without solvent…

see: Stabilizing high potency THC (thank you @Beaker!)

5 Likes

Yes, I have recently come across the hydrogen peroxide bucket dip method. Or seen guys using lemon juice in place of H202.

I am really on the fence with actually including this into my harvest procedures, maybe just because it seems a little silly to dunk my plants in buckets of water. I just wonder how much benefit I would see in my end hash product from adding a pre-wash like this.

My bubble hash have come out green/brownish and never looking like that white sand 6* I see in videos. I realize that I have been agitating a little to aggressively, as well as using cubes that had some sharp edges, which I assume added some plant material to the final product.

Im about 3 weeks away from harvest and want to have the best plan for the best outcome, planning on freezing 60-75% of it for FF hash and then rosin. I am unfortunately lacking a freeze dryer currently, so I am still working on the ideal solution there.

Anyone doing any sort of pre-wash like this at harvest with beneficial results? I would imagine a really dirty and dusty outdoor grow seeing some benefit, but not too sure if its worthwhile for an indoor tent/room grow.

1 Like

Yes I dip my plant in a solution of 5ml of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide per gallon then I hang to dry with a fan blowing on it for 24 hours. I have strains that Im able get up to 25% return on squishing my flower. With Bubble I’m lucky to get 10% return (washing the flower). I have been experimenting with Rosin since the early hair straightener days and chemistry has always intrigued me which is why I will further refine my rosin in a short path

2 Likes

Well sir as you know ethanol is a solute as the water in ethanol is the solvent. So in reality “solvent-free” is also a misrepresentation of the actual product I will be making. Some say Tamatoe and some say Tomato and Al Gore invented the internet, In short its all a marketing ploy :upside_down_face:

The benefit to washing before any extraction is done is to provide the cleanest product possible

Edit: Make sure your water is warm as my first wash I did with cold water and I did leave some trichomes behind

1 Like

water is a solvent.

3 Likes

Do you guy’s even read the entire thread or do you post the obvious to look smart. 2 post up I mention water is a solvent. What I said is the extraction process is solvent-less and the last time I check a solvent is a liquid.

1 Like

Ok thanks man, I think I may play around with this at next harvest myself.

Damn that is a shame on the return, everyone seems to prefer hash rosin over flower rosin here. I haven’t had enough runs to compare methods, so I can’t speak from experience there.

Does that return comparison seem to be pretty consistent for you across strains? After your distillation are the numbers that far off? I want the best product, but I don’t want to sacrifice a TON of my yield for it.

Rosin was new to me until I got this dab press rig a couple weeks ago. Dabbing nothing but rosin now and loving it. Flower rosin has been great, but if I had my choice It would be always fresh frozen hash rosin :ok_hand:

I froze my trim and smalls from my last Deep Purple harvest just to give fresh frozen a try. I secretly was hoping it didn’t provide much better results, so I wouldn’t have to wash every time I harvest. But it turned out incredible, and ruined me forever.

My flower rosin from recent OG Kush has been quite tasty as well, but I can tell there is alot more plant lipid in there, it butters up almost immediately. I have yet to be able to accomplish a jam type consistency with flower rosin.

3 Likes

Yes my flower presses always out do my water washes which is why I prefer to squish flower. I bought my 4x7 caged plates before Dabpress offered complete presses. Theirs a ton of information on the Dapress website about bag pressures. I like to play around the 165-175f using the bottle tech bag technique.

Oxidation is what is turning your hash rosin dark and the only way to prevent that is to get a freeze drier. At low temperatures I can get a blonde to golden yellow pressing flower and I get more of a taffy consistency. After a few days of setting in my containers I get more of a sugar type than budder.

I will be harvesting my Blue Harley in a couple of weeks and I will be sharing pics of my squishes

edit: off to work now see all about midnight :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I’ll be doing some comparisons myself on yield between hash/flower this harvest.

Interesting, that’s a fair bit lower on the temp side than I have been pressing my flower.

I played with 10 degree temp increments from 160-220 and settled on pressing around 205-210 f based on my findings with yield and quality.

Collecting it right out of the bubble bag it was greenish/browning coloring from fresh frozen buds/trim. Does the freeze dryer actually cause the hash to clarify and lighten up? Or just preserve how it looks fresh out of the bubble bag?

Right on man, that’s awesome will have to keep an eye out for it!

1 Like

Remember when you squish, your getting a full spectrum extract (terps, cannanaboids, lipids, waxes, chylorphyl).

That may be why squish yields more than washing for bubble hash.

2 Likes

Sounds to me your doing a warm water washes and your adding too much ice which is beating up your material. The colder your water and material is the lighter your hash will be. I like doing my washes in the winter when its below zero. My basic Hash Washing Sop is 1) I start out with frozen material and I put my water in the freezer until the water just starts to freeze. 2) I then put a 220 micron in a stainless steel pot I then add a thin layer of ice to the bottom of the bag then I add about 1/2 pound of frozen material and add
another thin layer of ice to the top. 3) I then place the entire pot outside and I also pack snow all the way up the pot and cover the top and leave outside until a thin layer of ice forms on the top. 4) After the ice has formed I bring my pot back inside and gently agitate with a wooden spoon for 10 minutes. 5) I then filter the hash water threw another 220,160,90 and a 45 micron bags. I throw out the 220 and 160 only keeping the 90 and 45 then I palace the Hash in the freezer(Home) for 24 hours them I micro plane it to a fine sandy material and press. When I have done washing in warmer weather my hash is always a little darker but I have never had a brownish color material. I have seen peps buy a commercial walk in freezer to do year round cold water washing. Just remember the colder the better. :+1:

4 Likes

Ok remind me again why you do a winterize? Ah yes now I remember its to remove the lipids and waxes before you put the material in a short path to remove the rest of the nasty’s that remain. Oh and chlorophyll has a melting point of 306f so I’m good their. :clap:

I also plan on getting your sop on etho washing however I’m a little embarrassed to say that after I moved my mothers stuff back up hear I have managed to fill up my workshop and 2 storage units but I still can’t find my container that has my cob’s in it.

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed method, I will be definitely taking a few pointers from this!

I’ve been using water from the garden hose, fairly cold, with yes ALOT of ice.

It was quite cold with the amount of ice I used, but it was definitely a slurry of ice/plant mash up happening.

I was initially under the impression that the ice was removing the trichromes mechanically. I now realize that this was a faulty way to look at it and it is cold temps and gentle agitation that are enough to separate the trich’s.

So after spooning your hash out of the bags, you immediately put it in the freezer? I’m a little confused here. Is it a freeze dryer you are using, or just a regular freezer?

If its a regular freezer, you mention 24 hrs in the freezer and then micro planed and pressed. Is there no further drying time in there? Isn’t the hash coming out of your freezer with alot of water content, and not suitable for pressing?

2 Likes