Free Work - Cautionary Tale

Hey Everyone,

I’ve got a small series of unfortunate events to convey to you all, especially those that work as consultants.

So, I quit my job as director of engineering of a semi-large operation in OK around May and decided to start my own company that focuses on facility and process design/engineering. At first, I got several jobs that panned out quite well—the folks I did business with were trustworthy and always paid in full, even if they disagreed with my pricing.

Over time though, I started sending preliminary plans and contracts to people without appropriately vetting them or making them sign NDAs. What ended up happening was I caught myself in a situation where I provided countless hours of free work and the client felt they could fill in the gaps so they just ghost me.

All in all, I’ve probably lost out on 80+ hours of billable work—all because I took verbal agreements at face value. This equates to a big bundle of cash, which would have been invaluable to my small operation.

If I had to make a suggestion for anyone doing this type of work:

1. First thing you do is provide you hourly rates for work.
  2. Create a scope of work and estimate the cost to the client based on 1.
  3. GET A RETAINER. Make sure you cover at least 50% of your projected cost with a retainer, this ensures that your client doesn’t ghost you.
  4. Make sure an NDA is signed as well as a payment contract.
  5. Don’t do too much free work—of course you want to show off the quality of work before you ask someone to pay you $$$, but give too much away and they don’t need you anymore.

That’s about it.

Oh, and I’ve got free slots available if anyone is interested… :rofl:

As always,

Love,
Phil

41 Likes

Its difficult to stay positive, props

10 Likes

That’s just how I do it, brother.

Even when you get completely fucked you gotta put a smile on and say: “no big; onto the next one.”

18 Likes

Yeah, this is an important lesson. I get EVERYTHING i do vetted by my lawyers. Cost a lot in fees over my time operating, but I’ve avoided any major failures to collect as a result.

4 Likes

Yep I don’t know a single person with lots of skills that does consulting that hasn’t been ripped off at some point or another in this industry by working for free or something like that

6 Likes

Had something similar happen recently unfortunately. Seems all too common they try to “fill in the gaps” blinded by greed

4 Likes

All the big extraction companies you see in this industry now either:

1. fucked people to get there

or

1. fucked customers to get there

Mark my words…

Its hard to see who…

Read between the lines…

14 Likes

Greed is the leech sucking the lifeblood out of any industry.

Cannabis extraction is a science that requires expertise to conduct business safely, efficiently and w quality

9 Likes

5 Likes

He’s been making music videos in his down time

1 Like

I got a few folks in the okc market might need some build outs brother :facepunch:t3::call_me_hand:t3:

3 Likes

Time to get creative

3 Likes

Send em my way brother!

4 Likes

Sorry to hear that man :frowning: it’s always a pressure having your here and the information you share!

2 Likes

You doing alright, otherwise?

Sometimes requiring half up front discourages the Chad’s and their dad’s. The ones that are uncomfortable with it will tell you the type of client you are working with. When I’m unsure of how I feel about someone, when they get that it’ll usually tell me who I’m working with

4 Likes

Hell yeah, dude.

Churchill said it well: “Success is all about going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm.”

10 Likes

This reeks of my energy :joy: :rofl:

7 Likes

I bought whirlpoolreverseosmosis.com after they denied a warranty repair

@moveweight, wanna get into the water treatment business? lmao

24 Likes

That is so awesome, i live and breathe spit like this :rofl::joy::rofl:

5 Likes

Oh man that’s classic.

5 Likes