Free Work - Cautionary Tale

I feel you brother. I have several very similar stories to share but will have to wait til I have time to type it up.

But for now all I can say is this type of shit is why we need to band together and let the industry know that we are an army of consultants…not just a solo or small team that can be fucked over without ramifications. Also SOPs such as these are crucial :point_down:

10 Likes

Great advice!

2 Likes

Yessir!

Oklahoma City just got wrecked by an ice storm which messed our house up pretty bad but it’s getting fixed up now and me and the gal are staying with my pops.

All in all, can’t complain—I’m not back at a corporate gig and i still get to work with cannabis and be an engineer, money comes and goes but a career can suck you in and kill your spirit if you don’t choose wisely. I’ll stick with the inconsistent pay hahaha

Good lookin out brother :grin:

8 Likes

Love this quote. It’s so damn true

7 Likes

So accurate to the weedgame. You have to be illogically optimistic to make it.

8 Likes

Illogically optimistic and lucky as hell.

Oh and intelligent, professional and kind goes a long way also.

12 Likes

One day I’ll nail that professional thing

4 Likes

Better u than me. :joy::rofl::joy:

4 Likes

With how much of a skeptic I am, I’m surprised that I’ve weathered this long, too.

There’s a lot of pretty successful dipshits out there, too.

8 Likes

This seems to have been a hindrance to my career in legal cannabis, sadly. So far, “nice guys finish last” seems more apropos based on my personal experience.

9 Likes

I always considered time spent drawing up scope as a loss leader for good work. Some people think everything should be free and lots of tools (in cannabis and any other business with greenhorn “entrepreneurs”) will just bumble on to wasting someone else’s time when they realize that good and services cost money.

My favorite thing is getting paid 100x to unfuck the job done by the low bidder. It’s just too damn fun to rip out everything that some other clueless shithead did and start from scratch for more than I’d have originally billed. Sometimes I miss my working for other people days

And if they don’t want to pay to get their low bidder problem unfucked, as @Demontrich would say, kick rocks n skip

9 Likes

I like “I’ll give em the rock if they want to kick it”

4 Likes

@SidViscous

Reminds me of my friends from NY: “kick rocks kid” was one of those things they’d say 50 times a day and it was hilarious every time

5 Likes

Or “here’s a rock, kick it”. I think it is an east coast saying. I have heard it from more guys from the east coast

4 Likes

I’m more of a “pound sand” guy personally

There’s also the substantially less refined “get fucked” but I reserve that for real assholes or people talking to me before I have my coffee

6 Likes

Tell your story walking is my fave

Also

That and a dollar will get yo u a cheeseburger

1 Like

I got told that I was a bad brand ambassador the other day and that I had bad customer service skills. I hadn’t even gotten out of bed yet and they were mad because I was giving short answers. I still didn’t even give the guy a “go fuck yourself”

3 Likes

@Demontrich CHEESEBURGERS

3 Likes

Yup sad to say, but my first consultation worked out this way… Helped to get a hemp operation up and going and when it came to payment got ghosted… I took it as a lesson and kept it moving.
Thanks for the advice, as I continue to grow I will definitely be taking a more cautious approach.

1 Like

Sometimes I give the old church lady “well, bless your heart”
It generally makes people pause for a second.

8 Likes