Flip the disk?

Any reason to avoid flipping a 5um welded disk upside down and push/pull clean solvent through as a way to clean clogs? Apologies if this is redundant, I’ve done digging, but found nothing about this specific and I’d rather avoid being a total jackass. :grin: … Probably too late for all that.

2 Likes

@Indofab @Soxhlet @Killa12345 @Dred_pirate @Waxplug1 what’s the word

For sure some celite got in it…:roll_eyes:

sit and think why they try to reinforce these from one side.

6 Likes

Ive read of people doing before. My easiest method has been flipping upside down and placing in ultrasonic cleaner. I picked up a 10l on ebay for $90 fits 6" discs easy

2 Likes

That’s my go to, I just wanted someone that deals with then as a sku to explain why it’s a bad idea

1 Like

Sonicator is the way to go but the way you are doing it should be fine. The backing is to reinforce against high pressure. Simply passing solvent over it is not likely to create enough pressure to challenge the weld strength.

2 Likes

If you can’t, then they should change the design so you can – this is definitely the easiest way to clean frits.

5 Likes

No doubt, that’s why I’m asking, I wasn’t planning on blasting it with 40psi, more like 2. Just seeing if anyone has damaged a disk doing this.

Something to always be avoided… :100:

1 Like

Hi,
If the disk doesn’t have a top retainer ring you can blow the screen out. We just use solvent to rinse, then blow with compressed air from the backside with an air wand.

If it is really clogged you can boil it in distilled water and try blowing it out.

6 Likes

Try acetone

1 Like

Ultrasonic helps too.

1 Like

Acetone upside down in ultrasonic no heat.

Acetone really breaks down the oil. Ultrasonic helps loosen the powders.

Done

6 Likes

Just don’t forget to wear a full face respirator when using acetone for cleaning like this, no one likes a burnt nostril from the fumes

3 Likes

I guess my nostril are already burned from the 90s as I don’t think acetone burns my nostrils at all.

:man_shrugging:t3:

6 Likes

I mean, we used to use acetone for all sorts of dumb shit…gawd

1 Like

It’s one of the only solvents that still gets me on occasion. Last time I was cleaning in a sink with it & ended up going back to the sink before it was aired out without my mask. I was fucked for 2-3 weeks

2 Likes

Yes but it’s one solvent that with even room temp will evaporate, add in the Sonication & it by far is much easier.

1 Like

So I just went and looked at a nightmare setup crc lab. 5lb of b80 and t5 filter stack with nothing but cotton pads and some silk screen to filter it out before collection. Basically what I would use if I wasn’t running crc, no plates, screen gaskets. Nothing at all. He literally pulls b80 back into his material column when he pulls vacuum. His stuff looked great. FML. :joy:

2 Likes