First try at diamonds, advice needed, please

“So long as you have a controllable heat source and a spoon…”

6 Likes
4 Likes

you mean the methaphorical one right :cold_face:

3 Likes

Do u still insist with going with jars rather than a diamond miner?

I’m thinking of purchasing a miner

Don’t know weather to get a 4” or 6” one

I run a 2LB system usually running shake and popcorn (cured material)

Really want to start making some nice diamonds albeit dark end product due to the material I’m processing atm

Yep. I still would prefer jars over miners for the cost and space that miners cost and I sell them

I think if your fire marshal is breathing down your neck or your tired of jar inconsistency. Then grab a miner, but there isn’t really any better crystallization in a miner than a jar

For that extractor. A 6” is the right size.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply

I don’t think I will buy a diamond miner due to the size issue, jars will fit in the small freezer compartment of my fridge and also help me learn the tek

Thanks !

that should absolutely NOT be part of your “Tek”.

if the freezer compartment in your EXPLOSION PROOF refrigerator happens to be large enough to fit a canning jar full of flammable solvent, then by all means include a cold crash at -20C, but the fact is you A) don’t need a cold crash B) would generally go colder C) can get colder simply using evaporative cooling (pour early).

note: pouring with too much solvent (undersaturated) isn’t particularly safe even in an appropriately rated hood or booth. I’m guessing you have neither. So I suggest ignoring option C. If you insist of cold crashing, use dry-ice and a cooler, and don’t do it inside.

4 Likes

You don’t need a cold crash. That means u can straight away place 10 degrees C above room temp and wait?

Why is a cold crash not required and why are people doing it. To speed up the process?

Okay , I understand. I will use the dry ice cool box technique

Also a cold crash is supposed to be done at -20?

Why not colder?

ill try your dry ice cold crash thing in a cooler.

1 Like

I said -20C was NOT cold enough. So in addition to being an explosion risk, the freezer in your fridge was insufficient.

Read it again…

As fas as why?

Not sure, but my best guess is that for the vast majority it’s because that’s how they tried it, and it worked, and they wouldn’t know experimental design if it bit them in the face…their ability to optimize the process is therefore severely limited.

1 Like

Probably. If you’ve got the saturation right (another term many can’t use correctly)

See: Media Bros CRC Diamonds ~ Puddin Skin TECH~

1 Like

Puddin skin lol

it’s a decent write up…it’s also recent and the thread is currently uncluttered enough that novices can’t get sidetracked (single post🤫).

And to quote @LoudMedicine

4 Likes

I like this tip, big ups to the fam

3 Likes

Me too. Especially as a response to

And the cat skinning quote seems like a great response to

3 Likes

Sick lol

The hotter a solvent the better it will dissolve
So cooling it gives the cannabinoids no choice but to drop out of the over saturated solution
And since they can crystelize that’s what they will do

1 Like

Okay your right you don’t need a cold crash but it’s going to take longer. If you use dri ice for your dewaxing columns & don’t have a cryogenic freezer a good crash with the dri ice is highly recommended. If you’d like to interject something bad about the cold crash you can definitely give your terpenes freezer burn so 72 hours is the maximum I’ve been recommended to crash for. Good Luck to all.