First time using Vac chamber - Bubbles :D

I used my Vac chamber for the first time today. I don’t have a pump though so I used the shitty hand pump I had and got it to -26hg.

I had it on heat (purging Ethanol) at around 40c and started to notice quite a bit of bubbling happen. It was one heck of an experience. Watching it react under different conditions was definitely a sight to see. It may get boring in time but the first one is wicked.

4 Likes

Bubbles are the gases being pulled from the extract. You need constant -27.9, not just for a min. Tour gonna have popeye forearms after this.

5 Likes

I know I need more Vac. This was the first time I ever saw it react under vac. Did it just for fun to see because I knew I needed a bigger electric pump. It was wicked to watch

2 Likes

This is what I used for my 1.9cu’ vac oven
Robinair (15500

Try marinading some steaks in there.

3 Likes

what you mean?

just so you know, alcohol is a pita to purge. You cant do it with a hand pump, I could leave a regular pump keeping the chamber at full vac for days to purge ethanol.

I know - as I stated, it was an experience to see. I can only imagine how much more violent the reactions under 29hg

9 Likes

hahahaha i love getting smashed

1 Like

ud be better off to place the ethanol mixture under fans in large pan to purge down.

also once it’s down to oil then a cheap vac from ebay will go a long ways. idk if ethanol pulls out without heat though like butane and propane.

What did you think I was doing? Putting the entire bulk in the vac? Fuck no.

The winterized solution is air purged over light heat. It takes a few hours. When it becomes more oil than ethanol - usually down to the last few ml I will transfer to non-stick mat. A very thin layer.

Now usually I would leave it like that on heat to evap the Ethanol but that doesn’t work well and we all know it. It works but not store grade limits. Now I would take the parchment and put it in chamber. Heat and watch periodically.

Dangerous though… need accurate temps and really I would be more comfortable with pumping some gas in there for maintaining the color during the decarb but I digress.

ud be surprised what I’ve seen ppl try to do

2 Likes

I’m, newb and even that seems ridiculous to me. That shit is going to collect in there. It’s hard enough to keep the fuckn moisture out.,

1 Like

Purging on a open hot plate is the worst I’ve seen lately. Seen many do it, never works out well. Always need vacuum to fully remove residuals etc

1 Like

it works out fine with small quantities. but itll never purge as well as vac chamber.

I would do the pan purge for days. Because up till then there is still so much ethanol itll ruin the pump oil. Ill bubble for hours even after days of a pan purge. Your oil was never purged before if this is your first time with a vac chamber. Buy a cheap pump from harbor freight and your are golden. You still cant vacuum solvent, dont winterize next time. To winterize i think you need a rotovap. I have done it but have a hard time getting all th ethanol out without overworking the oil and losing the shatter consistency i desire, it comes out softer because with the ethanol is water and its hard to remove the water.

what im curious aboyt is how much of that off gassing is ethanol. so im keen ti minitir it periodically. i dont want any decarbing to occur it makes me paranoid.

the first gasses under vac will be solvent, the alcohol /water is much harder to remove. The terps will be lost in the process of getting the alcohol out. It wont decarb unless under alot of heat, keep it under 115 f MAX youll lose the terps in the purge but it wont decarb and turn dark unless you overheat it.
Did you extrct with butane or ethanol? I am presuming butane and a secondary ethanol winterization.

1 Like

Your assumption is correct. So my crude method was the above and just a very thin film on non-stick with light heat and fan. In terms of the actual smoking experience - it’s fucking phenomenal.

My usual disclaimer goes; I am well aware a proper purge must be done in vac chamber and I am aware that my method leaves some residuals. I am comfortable with that - none of my product is for sale and is a work in progress.

I do however see the beauty in the making of these products, that bubbles in a vac chamber inspired me to write a post.

2 Likes