First time running a short path distillation setup. Comments and Suggestions Please!

Yes, that is what you use. 1/8"mnpt is what the bullseye has.

2 Likes

Thanks again. Still need to adapter to connect the valve to the vac pump. Doesn’t look like you have that?

no…that is all i have. Are you trying to hook up a welch 1400 or similar?

Hi , was running our Colorado Extractions Falling Film today and had the magnetic spinner stop on me and get stuck in the gold. . ended up making big rock like crumble rocks and half the honey pot was almost hard, mixed with mud like. Norm like soup with the 5% Ethanol left, this wasnt., Now on the SPD, decarbed for 2 hours at 90, and no bubbles, then when transferred to SP and hit the vac, its like a volcano. . . … have to depresurize asap or risk getting head all filled up. . . let it cool and did it again, happend again. . not sure whats up. . .ideas? what hapened in the honey pot!!! #frustrated and #overtired. .

Decarbing in 2 hours or less needs higher temps 120/140 C

sorry, Purging. before SP to get the ethanol out, but your right, might not have been long enough. Ive run this several times and not had this problem, thanks for the pointer. @Roguelab

1 Like

Purge/decarb in your spd flask and mantle.

11 Likes

What stir bar would you recommend using in the 500ml rbf?

1 Like

Also stir bar big or small cross or pill form?

If you remove the screw the whole black think comes off and then your ballast is closed and just pop it back on when your shutting down

Regarding gasses for exclusion of Oxygen, Argon, 99.999% is available for $30 or $35 USD in Disposable 17 Liter Cans, with CGA600 threads, so there may not be any need to spend more to buy a regulator if there is an old MAP Gas or Propane torch available. I don’t recall forum rules about identification of suppliers, so I’ll just refer to two of many suppliers as G Rainger and thE Bay. Just search for “Calibration Gas Argon”. These come in sizes up to 117 Liters. And regulators for “calibration gas” cylinders are easy to find on thE Bay, and the less expensive ones are ~$20USD…

4 Likes

I use Argon gas as matter of habit in the lab! I know a lot of folks here are on a budget, so I will just say that for $30 to $50, Argon can be a game changer in terms of eliminating discoloration by oxygenation… Very much so if one were every going to close a ring with a Lewis acid, for instance, it keeps everything colorless to light yellow depending on the color of the isolate one might begin with, assuming that one would also keep the temperature around -40… You know, because it is heavier than air, it makes a pad of gas that cannot react with anything found in a lab until conditions exceed what any lab for our purposes is capable of…

5 Likes

ht

Hi everyone, I’m new here. I have such an amateur 5L SPD set , but I can’t post picure or link i dont know why . I need a distillate because I have 2 sick relatives and I want to help them. I live in a country where the law is very bad when it comes to hemp. Please, I need your help because I’m a little desperate. I admire the knowledge and skills of some people here. I read a lot about SPD but I still haven’t done it yet.

Where should I start ? I have crushed grass and 96% ethanol. I know you have to pour half a 5L dish, but first freeze it and pour through a coffee filter, right? What can anyone tell me next? I will give relationships and with your help it will succeed … … Sorry for my English :wink: Regards to all folks on the forum

You posted an identical question 4days ago.

If you have the same question, re-read the answers you got over here.
If you did not understand the answers you received, or if you have NEW questions on the same subject, that would also be the correct place for them.

You’ve been given solid advice by a number of folks. Repeating this question verbatim suggests you didn’t understand that advice and/or have zero respect for those that gave it.

You don’t need distillate for your relatives, and you don’t make distillate by filling your spd flask with raw tincture.

4 Likes

For your relatives sake listen to THE MAN and 5 liters for two folks :thinking:

3 Likes

I see that dosa its like massive.

I used to cook dosa at a restaurant I worked at and that is a piece of art.

This is definitely gonna help some people in what is now the future , thanks alot for sharing this awesome thread.

7 Likes

What should we look for when buying a chiller and vacuum pump?

What kind of glassware
Heating bath is what you need instead of a chiller
Vacuum pump wise western brand and 4cfm/L
Boiling flask size

3 Likes

What you planning on chilling?

Condenser needs heat.
Cold traps are most easily implemented with dry ice. At -80C or better cold finger would also be appropriate