First reported death due to CBD drug interactions, brace yourselves

Good thing I am no longer taking Meloxicam…geez.

1 Like

What do you even take this drug for if you dont mind me asking

So…dont take cbd (or thc) if you are taking a medication with a warning sticker that says to not consume grapefruit juice. Seems simple to me.

5 Likes

Also seems like it excludes one of the largest target demographics (65+) from the market.

2 Likes

it could have been a glass of grapefruit juice. The persons responsable here are clearly sidestepping that it was the meloxicam. Yes the CBD likely caused an increase in blood levels, but thats not what caused the stevens-johnson syndrome.

5 Likes

No one is calling for a ban on grapefruit.

4 Likes

Valium is another drug that states “no grapefruit juice”

3 Likes

no, a significant number of the elderly are on prescriptions that have “no grapefruit” precautions.

Edit: my mother in law, who lives with me (starting a gofundme to get her out), has to read 10 labels before taking anything new. Several of them mention grapefruit, blood thinners in particular I believe.

3 Likes

Let’s just ban this whole list. a good portion of them, especially in combination could have caused this

4 Likes

I read an article one time that talked about how you couldnt eat tomatoes with this certain medication because it would block enzymes and could cause death

Let’s banned Tomatos and grapefruit and put them behind the counter!

4 Likes

More like “Let’s extract the tomatos down to a highly refined isolated compound and feed someone the equivalent of 100# of tomato’s in a single sitting and see if it’s completely harmless”

All medicine is poison, the dose makes the difference.

24 Likes

Precisely. Radiation can cause cancer and kill tumors. Application matters.

3 Likes

I’ve been saying it for weeks but I could tell something has been going on behind the scenes with the way a bunch of companies suddenly change their attitude towards the hemp industry. Time to buckle in

5 Likes

I assumed it was the FDA statement about CBD being unsafe, I wonder if the two are connected.

3 Likes

Well said :+1:

3 Likes

BM tomato extract

4 Likes

Probably add blanket warning label not to use in combination with any other drugs; maybe “do not use without first consulting a physician”

2 Likes

I think a lawyer consult is in order to better understand personal liability in these types of events…

3 Likes

Sue everybody, but start with whoever has the most money and work your way down the list. At some point you get down to people who are broke, and even if it was all really their fault, there is no point in suing broke people.

I meant from the perspective of the manufacturer - let’s say we are super explicit about all possible interactions (blog posts, labels, pages on web, instagram posts, etc.) and the need to consult with a professional, yet someone still uses your CBD and has a drug interaction and gets hurt.

Operating as an LLC, what is your personal liability in a situation like this? When does negligence become criminal? Is selling ingestible CBD right now, while the FDA explicitly bans it, criminal?

This is what I want to know from a legal perspective. I’m pretty sure the advice will be to stop selling ingestible CBD.

3 Likes