First filling of the gas tank

Yes i did vacuum the vessel out.
I am very careful and have done some research on this. Unfortunately, theory and practice are two different things. I’m trying to understand it all with the help of the folks on this awesome forum

1 Like

wouldn’t it be better to vacuum the collection vessel and tank, inject the solvent into the collection vessel and distill the solvent into the tank…thus having “clean” solvent to use?

slow and cold distill, solvent temps under 65f…

I even distill the solvent from b.v.v. 's lp5 tanks just to be sure…

just a humble noobs thoughts :nerd_face:

7 Likes

it will help if you cans are warmer than your solvent tank. Cool your solvent tank or warm your cans up a bit ( be careful). Or do both and it should go much faster

1 Like

So what can you tell us about what is in your cans?

It may SAY it’s pure butane, but chances are it has isobutane and propane in there as well.

But let’s pretend it’s 100 butane.
Do you know what temp that boils?
Do you know why that matters?

Have you seen this image? (Posted repeatedly around here)

Do you understand it, and how it impacts the game you’re about to play with your pipe bomb?

Until you do, you should reconsider pushing go.

Engineeringtoolbox.com has all sorts of fun facts.
Eg Butane - Thermophysical Properties

so what temp should your tank be if you want it to be liquid and have zero (gauge) pressure?

8 Likes

As cyclo already said, there’s some basics you should learn on your own man.

We’re not all really here to walk you from start to finish through things. At least I’m not.

Maybe you can tell us all what you did, from start to finish, and you’ll get more help.

Good luck.

Cool the receiving tank ice water works
Dry ice works faster
Doing this on your collection pot makes more sense for you distill and hopefully have a pressure gauge to see what’s happening
If you wish to know what’s in the can
Let it get to room temp in the gauged tank and read the pressure at that temperature and check the posted chart

1 Like

you will want to pull vac after you cool the tank…

Why does @Waxplug1 have his solvent tank on dry ice?

2 Likes

On an empty tank? Why is that

Better vacuum.

1 Like

You can put the max vac on it but the fact is that tank is tiny and room temp…. The minute liquid gas hits it will expand and equalize pressure between the 2 VERRY quickly blocking flow…… I think.

4 Likes

Put the tank in ice and iso

Make sure tank is empty and vacced down to -30hg

1 Like

Old but gold.

4 Likes

What I usually do for filling my tank is

first of I clean the shit out of it

Then I pressure test it for 4 hours at 100 psi

Then I vacuum test for 4 hours.

After it passes and there’s no leaks, I go and I make my makeshift stainless filler which is 2 of these ( https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0078/8814/2451/products/TCBAL_1.jpg?v=1600459391 ) that I jam the can into the top of one using the can adaptor at the top of the can and have a hose connected to the other end.

I have my tank on dry ice and isopropyl
I make sure my gauge is at -29Hg*
I’m hooked into the side that has the dip tube (I prefer it but tbh I feel like it makes no difference waht side you fill it on because of the natural vacuum created from the slurry)

I open the tank first > then I open the makeshift fillers shut-off going to the tank with the hose attached > and simultaneously as soon as you open the shut-off to the can you press the can into the port and you let the solvent shoot into the tank.

I repeat this process about 4 to 6 times.

Then I distill the solvent.

I think puncturing a can is a safety hazard.

I explained in a locked tokers lounge thread how someone could probably safely rig a triclamp manifold to tap 4 cans at once by firmly pressing down the cans onto a table and into the manifold depending on the temp of the cans and the amount of cold the tank has.

… But I don’t know the efficacy or safety of trying to inject multiple cans at once in the up-right position…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Anyone here use handwarmers?

1 Like

I would recommend tapping the can into the collection tank to evaporate the butane before using it on weed, you will find that canned gas is …well …dirty like …lighter fluid dirty.

As it boils in the collection tank the clean solvent has to go somewhere and that place should be kept cold…that metal tank you have will contaminate your clean butane, but if you must use it, keep it cold, cold will make low pressure. You should get yourself a stainless steel solvent tank to store your clean butane in, this will make cleaning and storing solvent much easier for you.

Good luck and be safe!

5 Likes

Lastly, stainless triclamp tanks that you can open and clean are a better way to go than carbon steel solvent tanks which are meant for refrigerants that will just be used as such. I should also note that those carbon steel solvent tank’s rust VERY Quick I left one outside in the rain in the summer and the next week the bottom and outer rim were rusted. I disposed of that tank and got a stainless one off @Killa12345 . For my first like year of cls not even I was using the carbon tanks. I’m not plugging @Killa12345 to buy his tanks I’m just saying where I got mine from.

I would inject into your collection which would be on dry ice and iso and then distill that through a sieve into your solvent tank.

That would be your best bet.

You can repeat the cleaning of the solvent process 3x over if your super anal about cleaning your solvent; If you have a stainless triclamp tank that’s able to be opened and cleaned.

1 Like

Hope not. Jic fittings require two wrenches to seal. I’ve met extractors who thought finger tight was appropriate. It’s not.

If you didn’t ALSO open the valve on the tank, this setup would not work.

And, as mentioned (phase diagrams and all), you want to cool the target tank to reduce back pressure, which the video neglected.

When you tried to flow liquid into a tank 20C above its boiling point, it should not have surprised you that it turned into a gas and resisted you.

It did.

Wrapping your head around why is worth your time.

As is checking back in and confirming you grabbed the correct end of the stick this time around

1 Like

Now I know a lot more than when I first posted. This is the best forum I’ve ever seen because everyone wants to give some advice to such an amateur like me . I live in Europe and it’s different here in my country . The level of knowledge about cannabis concentrates is almost zero that for smokers open blast seems very modern and advanced :wink: Everyone knows only buds. But that is changing :slight_smile:

Guys have opened my eyes. So I took your advices I thought with understanding I understood the butane phase diagram, what and why, and why do i need to order a stainless steel tank and more .

I just wait for one thing and start filling tank.If I have any problems I will ask you again guys. I will give report how did it go :slight_smile:

Peace !

2 Likes

the early pieces of the puzzle used to be much easier to find. youtube has long since taken the majority of the video tutorials down

ICMAG was where I picked up most of the pieces I needed to start down this path.

https://www.icmag.com/search/104369/?q=terpenator+mkIII might be a decent place to access some of the “how do I make these work?” type information.

once I had my MkIII built, the next thing I did was go and take a class on how to run it at skunkpharm under @EloquentSolution’s tutelage. more than 1/2 the folks there were seasoned extractors (I was probably only a year or so in).

3 Likes