First filling of the gas tank

Hello good people :slight_smile:

Please , maybe you know the answer

I have a problem filling the tank with gas from a can. I need it for CLS.
I do everything like in this video.

Unfortunately, the gas does not go to the tank. What am I doing wrong ? it must be some detail i guess
This is my set , please have a look :slight_smile:

It seems that when I open the can on the opener, the gas does not want to go further. Blue valve is open during filling
Maybe hose it’s too long, or it is tank fault . Tank is never used
Liquid valve is open

Did you weight the empty vessel first?

You also don’t need all the extra hoses. Hook the can tap to one hose and the other end to the red valve.

Video you posted didn’t load.

Since we can’t see it please list all steps performed.

2 Likes

edit:If you come across this beauty on here, do not duplicate tank suspension tek

11 Likes

Yes i weighed empty vessel first

I posted the link again
it should work . I do everything like there

I can remove one extra hose and try it as you say

So that’s just tapping the can.

Did you vacuum the vessel out?

You might need to do some more research, it’s all basic hvac principles.

You’ve been a member since 2020, so I’ll leave it up to you for finding the information.

3 Likes

Get that tank cold after pulling a vac

5 Likes

Yes i did vacuum the vessel out.
I am very careful and have done some research on this. Unfortunately, theory and practice are two different things. I’m trying to understand it all with the help of the folks on this awesome forum

1 Like

wouldn’t it be better to vacuum the collection vessel and tank, inject the solvent into the collection vessel and distill the solvent into the tank…thus having “clean” solvent to use?

slow and cold distill, solvent temps under 65f…

I even distill the solvent from b.v.v. 's lp5 tanks just to be sure…

just a humble noobs thoughts :nerd_face:

7 Likes

it will help if you cans are warmer than your solvent tank. Cool your solvent tank or warm your cans up a bit ( be careful). Or do both and it should go much faster

1 Like

So what can you tell us about what is in your cans?

It may SAY it’s pure butane, but chances are it has isobutane and propane in there as well.

But let’s pretend it’s 100 butane.
Do you know what temp that boils?
Do you know why that matters?

Have you seen this image? (Posted repeatedly around here)

Do you understand it, and how it impacts the game you’re about to play with your pipe bomb?

Until you do, you should reconsider pushing go.

Engineeringtoolbox.com has all sorts of fun facts.
Eg Butane - Thermophysical Properties

so what temp should your tank be if you want it to be liquid and have zero (gauge) pressure?

8 Likes

As cyclo already said, there’s some basics you should learn on your own man.

We’re not all really here to walk you from start to finish through things. At least I’m not.

Maybe you can tell us all what you did, from start to finish, and you’ll get more help.

Good luck.

Cool the receiving tank ice water works
Dry ice works faster
Doing this on your collection pot makes more sense for you distill and hopefully have a pressure gauge to see what’s happening
If you wish to know what’s in the can
Let it get to room temp in the gauged tank and read the pressure at that temperature and check the posted chart

1 Like

you will want to pull vac after you cool the tank…

Why does @Waxplug1 have his solvent tank on dry ice?

2 Likes

On an empty tank? Why is that

Better vacuum.

1 Like

You can put the max vac on it but the fact is that tank is tiny and room temp…. The minute liquid gas hits it will expand and equalize pressure between the 2 VERRY quickly blocking flow…… I think.

4 Likes

Put the tank in ice and iso

Make sure tank is empty and vacced down to -30hg

1 Like

Old but gold.

4 Likes

What I usually do for filling my tank is

first of I clean the shit out of it

Then I pressure test it for 4 hours at 100 psi

Then I vacuum test for 4 hours.

After it passes and there’s no leaks, I go and I make my makeshift stainless filler which is 2 of these ( https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0078/8814/2451/products/TCBAL_1.jpg?v=1600459391 ) that I jam the can into the top of one using the can adaptor at the top of the can and have a hose connected to the other end.

I have my tank on dry ice and isopropyl
I make sure my gauge is at -29Hg*
I’m hooked into the side that has the dip tube (I prefer it but tbh I feel like it makes no difference waht side you fill it on because of the natural vacuum created from the slurry)

I open the tank first > then I open the makeshift fillers shut-off going to the tank with the hose attached > and simultaneously as soon as you open the shut-off to the can you press the can into the port and you let the solvent shoot into the tank.

I repeat this process about 4 to 6 times.

Then I distill the solvent.

I think puncturing a can is a safety hazard.

I explained in a locked tokers lounge thread how someone could probably safely rig a triclamp manifold to tap 4 cans at once by firmly pressing down the cans onto a table and into the manifold depending on the temp of the cans and the amount of cold the tank has.

… But I don’t know the efficacy or safety of trying to inject multiple cans at once in the up-right position…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes