Filtering hash from food oil

no, but I might be able to use water and a sep funnel, that’s an interesting thought

If you have an air compressor, bring it into work and pull a vac on the tank and bring that home for your source of vac.

You could easily get away with using a Buchner funnel and coffee filters without ripping any coffee filters if you poured a layer of clean construction sand or blasting grit on top of the coffee filter before applying vacuum and pouring your hot oil.

1 Like

You don’t need a separatory funnel, you can just mix the two in a mason jar and stick the jar in the fridge upside down.
When it gets cold the butter will harden and you can just open the jar to pour out the water. The bulk of the particulates will be be mixed in with the cream at the point where water and butter interface. You can just scrape it off with a spoon.

6 Likes

This is the best suggestion so far, I’m gonna give it a shot with a quarter oz or so and report back

2 Likes

The simplest ways are usually the best. 883

3 Likes

I’m full of low tech solutions. Lol.

One thing to take note of when using kief or hash is that the lipid that surrounds the trichome is mostly phospholipids which taste kinda shitty and lend themselves to the formation of emulsions. So depending on how much kief to butter ratio you plan to use, emulsions may be kind of a problem when you get to washing with water.

The way I solved this was by submerging the whole jar in a pot of simmering water on my stove. This allowed the water and the butter to separate from each other as best I could when I tried to make butter with 25% kief by weight. Lol :woozy_face:

Also the water wash i described doesn’t work as well when you use ghee or coconut oil because the cream in the butter is what collects all the small particulates. At least thats what I believe. I think the cream has some action of flocculation so it takes particles with it when it forms a kind of cloud in solution, and it likes to migrate towards the water so its a little happy coincidence.

5 Likes

Says the man with experience. But on further thought, butter is semi solid at room temp. So just add heat as well.

1 Like

to me coconut oil is a better oil than butter. Unless you have a specific recipe that calls for butter like cookies. this comment has nothing to do with it being solid at room temp. It ust seems more stable and less likely to burn or get rancid. How quickly are you planning on eating 30 grams of kief?

1 Like

I use butter for baked goods, coconut oil works fell for ice cream but I don’t like the taste in cookies or brownies

I tend to use butter and just make it as concentrated as possible using disty or bho. Then I can just use the concentrated shit and add it to whatever fat the recipe calls for. I dont really notice the difference because I don’t bake but I’ve been told its better because you csnt substitute coconut oil for everything. Or at least not in every recipe*

1 Like

Im not selling commercially. But my concern with edibles is mostly trying to prevent overdoses. If I make my stuff taste great ill have to dumb down the doses severely. I hate when peole get fucked up. Theres a reason medicine tastes bad- that add bad flavor so you dont overdose. I dont think one peson ever listened when i told them to just eat one corner.

When I do that, im not selling them. They’re meant to get me fucked up lol

but Im the same but ill share it and they never listen and then they are totally f’d up. I barely eat it but I know how they feel and I can barely move or make it to bed, its no fun to overdose edibles.

2 Likes

Lol I can’t argue with that, but I’d hate to give someone an edible and it wasn’t stronk enough.

People that I hang out with know what they’re getting themselves into if they’re asking me for an edible. Never given one to grandma tho, that’d just be cruel.

1 Like

I do basic math, I PRESUME my oil is 80 percent. Then 10 grams oil into 200 gummies. Eveyone says its way stronger than 50 mg from the store.

Wash the sift with cold etho, then cookout the etho in the oil. Starting with a specific amount of oil. Then the end weight will be your, close to, dose. And decarb in the oil following

3 Likes

So many different ways to skin this cat! Love it.

2 Likes

what size filter paper would you suggest if I go the solvent approach?

Staying solventless makes it a “premium” edible here, so I’m trying to stick with that route

The people im talking about will eat a black Korova bar with no regret, im not worried about over dosing them.

I only use hard ratios if im making edibles for someone else and they specify the dosage.

I have bubblebags, If only I was able to legally sell it id be all over the premium market. I used to make butter from bubble but was not getting effects. I considered myself one of those people who edibles dont hit. Looking at the results when I share it that may be true but my bho based gummies are just that much stronger? I dunno because i put alot of bubble butter into things like cookies.