Filter Tube for centrifuge ( THC Isolate ) (need help)

hey everyone, i like to start mining THCA crystalls, i just got my Centrifuge

in my local area there are shops that sell these two options/;

Corning® Spin-X® UF 20 mL Centrifugal Concentrator, 100,000 MWCO Membrane, 12/Case

or

Amicon® Ultra 20 mL 100,000 MWCO

how do you all think about these filter tubes ?
is it possible to use them for this method?

Also my second question is which filter press bag is the best option for this method ?
5 - 15 - 25 micron

ps: ( i study alot in the forum for this method everyone is using 25 micron Bag, but i could not find an answer if 5 , or 15 micron can be a better option )

1 Like

You purchased a fuge that only fits 20ml tubes?

What was the rational there?

Hope you got a great deal…

In my experience the “concentrators” deliberately leave liquid in the upper chamber. They are designed to “concentrate” not “dry”. That’s not actually what we are trying to do.

You need one or the other, not both. I suggest bags. You could certainly support bags using these Amazon.com

Yes, smaller micron bags will work. They may not provide much, if any advantage, but they are not as fine as the membranes in those concentrators you’re comparing them to.

How are you getting your input material?
What sort of scale are you aiming for?

They’re also cheap enough that you could figure it out for yourself for way less than a new fuge…

Ideally you should have asked BEFORE you purchased the expensive part of this kit.

IMO even 50ml tubes are an unnecessary bottle neck.

6 Likes

guess i can fit 10-50ml tubes

I’m planning to work with 50ml tubes and nylon paper bag (press bags). However, since my neighborhood store had those two filter tubes i mention before, I wanted to know if its possible to work with them or anyone tired before or not.

2 Likes

Sure. However, IMO they are not the correct tool for this task.

These are much closer: Empty Spin Columns, Volume 2 mL to 50 mL Including Outer Tubes, Capped Inner Tubes, UHMW-PE Frits, and Fixing Rings

Integrated dead stop design eliminates risk of spinning to dryness; no respinning necessary.
Spin-X® UF Centrifugal Concentrators

Your goal IS to spin to dryness…

Is 50g per spin going to make you happy long term?

How much was your fuge?
How much is another pair of buckets so you can spin 100g at a time?

4 Likes

Thanks!

I’m only extracting for myself. Also, I’m not a heavy smoker, so I guess that would be fine even in the long term. But if I want more, you are right, this might not be the right tool!
Also I don’t like storing things for a long time. I’d rather extract once a month or once per season.

The fuge cost me $160 in total, including shipping and…
The buckets cost me $14 for each pair, so a total of $28 for 4 buckets

got two kinds of buckets; one can fit 10ml or 15ml tubes, and the other one can fit 20ml and 50ml tubes.
so if i change all buckets to big one i can fit 4x of 50ml. but thats really big for me i dont need that much ahaha.

1 Like

Sounds like a great deal.

Care to share where you got it?

grab some 50ml tubes and some rosin bags and have at it…

we’re stepping up to 20+kg per spin

:shushing_face:

5 Likes

Yes please share where you got this for such a great deal! <3

5 Likes

These are also nice! A quick lil’ trim job and they fit nicely at a custom depth depending on your tube geometry. Mesh is nylon, body is polypropylene.

Would be nice if there were smaller sizes than 40microns, in case one could physically separate fats n’ terps.

2 Likes

have you tried them?

those look to be designed for “pour through” not centrifugation.

I find it unlikely that they will stay at

in 50ml falcon tubes when one turns gravity up to 2-3K

what do you imagine the right micron rating to achieve that would be? (have you read Can I separate fats and waxes from my hte using a centrifuge? ?)

IMO that’s a “pellet them” (sedimentation rather than filtration) trick, although I’m reasonably sure @MagisterChemist has data to the contrary.

1 Like

I’ve used 'em! They work just fine, they’re basically just more durable rosin bags due to the frame, and with the conicals that are slightly angled, a well-trimmed piece sits nicely at the depth you’ve shaped it to fit at.

3 Likes

How many G’s?

I bought this on a local site called “Divar”. It’s similar to eBay but operates exclusively in my country, Iran.

I’m sure the seller will increase the price. This price is good because in Iran, the dollar has been increasing in value/price for the past week, rising by about 30%, this mean the Iranian currency (Rial) has weakened over 30%.

I can not wait to get there…

We are pleased to introduce our latest innovation in centrifuge technology through Guangzhou Fan Bo Lun Import-Export Trading Company. Our centrifuges are designed to offer exceptional performance, reliability, and versatility, catering to diverse applications across various industries.
If you need anything, please contact me

Just got these , 30 Min spin ~4kRPM everything pass throw as liquid!

@Fungnificent How do you keep ur fuge and tube low temp?:roll_eyes:

THCA does not magically crystallize IN the fuge.
you’re merely performing filtration.
what makes you think there were solids in there to start with? (did @moronnabis tell you that?)

you gotta start with sugar sugar…. :kissing_heart:

I prewarm my fuge to 40C before playing this trick. then tuned the speed to keep it between 35-40C. this makes the liquid less viscous, leaving cleaner solids.

2 Likes

You are right my bad, i need to edit that.

so this means most or /all of the oil i used is decarbed right ?

why?

maybe tell us what you used…

I started testing with some old oils which collected from the end of cartridges, and I believe the oil is decarbed

Absolutely.
That’s how they made it work in the cart.

You’re probably starting with distillate in your market.

Which is about as far as you can get from the correct starting point (given the legal status where you are, you may also be dealing with diluents, but either way, not a viable starting point).

Start here: YOC Dirty Diamond Tek - THCa isolation from Crude

if you can’t see crystals in your input, there won’t be any in the filter when you’re done…

1 Like

okay im going to test this bho extract @cyclopath

2 Likes