Filter size for filtering winterized material?

The way I first learned to winterize

1 Like

0.5um filter disk.

I end with a 6" 0.5um … I’m overkill on everything though

1 Like

Overkill is the only way. Ive been meaning to setup a all stainless buncher funnel.

2 Likes

:point_up: two is good if you plan on using filter media to clean up a bucket tek run. one is good if you’re just cleaning up bho.

you should try my tek

3 Likes

Yeah I usually add AC to my mix before winterizing. The only time i ever winterize is for my spd. I have been looking into an all stainless setup but we are also working on a large falling film set up that will make my filtering, roto, and spd obsolete.

2 Likes

I wish you luck. Please read this great write up on different filtration methods including their efficacy plus a little science

3 Likes

this place sells .2um disks

1 Like

I did the same but used a Vac Chamber this time around. Actually it was shortly after. Still glassy still terpy. It kind of freaks me out a bit because its not super solid cracked glass. It cracks but it can bend slowly. I thought maybe too much residual but no chance of that after 24 hours in a vac chamber - I would say some residual, but it was terpy. Confirmed once it was dabbed.

It’s my method now. I love it.

2 Likes

Here’s some help. Took me all of 45 seconds to type…

Don’t use clay with buchner and etho (doesn’t do much at all, tho can remove some red)

Carbon is king (but filter and filter and filter then filter again) also carbon MUST be warm (90-100f) or you’re just wasting supplies

Activated alumina can help but that depends…

Celite and silica are your friends. Make a cake and use all the time.

Refilter at the end with a fresh cake and/or paper.

Be patient, buchner ain’t for the A.D.D. peeps.

Buchner is amazing for the perfectionist. It’ll just take you time to dial in your process. Dm me if you have questions. I’m always happy to help.

(Edit for grammar and spelling etc… cause I’m ocd like that)

3 Likes

I have adhd and I’m a perfectionist… Is that considered a co-morbidity? . I can honestly say it is if you can find something mesmerizing about it while it’s happening. If you do, you could like a lava lamp, possibly watch it forever.

2 Likes

“The term “comorbidity” describes two or more disorders or illnesses occurring in the same person. They can occur at the same time or one after the other. Comorbidity also implies interactions between the illnesses that can worsen the course of both.”
Survey Says: Yes! Here take these. and these and these.
Do all your screw heads point in the same direction? Do you collects gnawed on chicken bones?
If so, you might be a good fit here on the 4th floor of your local hospital!
Just kidding, I know it’s got to be Hell, and I envy you not! I’m here if you need someone to cuss with!

I know I was just being a smart ass. All seriousness I do have autism and I suffer from terrible sleep, g.i. Issues mainly constipation and you could give me a headache if a light is blinking at a certain speed [though I was never diagnosed with epilepsy]. I do have co-morbid anxiety and adhd from autism.

I am however a perfectionist at everything that peaks my interest if I go along with what interests me. Like extraction, my mind is always at, “I must know everything” but it’s hard for me to pay attention to a lot of the information on the data dump.

It’s a huge “fuck you” sometimes I’m not gonna lie but as I’ve been saying for a long time, What could get worse, Can always get better.

1 Like

That’s my motto mainly for life. I was also just trying to be a bit of a smart ass. Thankfully I have worked on my anxiety/ptsd/hyper alert/sleep bullshit issues. Sleep is not well these days, but it’s a pendulum and swings from well to not.
But We’re breathing, so we’re doing something right!

1 Like

Sleep is bad because of the pandemic and the news. I’ve been trying to stay away from the news but it’s tuff because it’s so entertaining.

Let’s take this to: Dumbest thread on the forum goess durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr(plus undiagnosed personality disorders - for search purposes) 💩 🎪

So we don’t clog this thread

1 Like

im co morbid to people calling me a cop when im stoned. and When I have winterized with ethanol I used the fast papers and they stacked up waxes. If I use felt Im not even sure if its working. I have a crc setup now so can do a multiple filter stack easy but will avid using sintered for waxes or else it seems like trouble id hate to clog it and spen hours cleaning disks So Im saying, in my experience? a fast paper is adeqate as long as all the material and the vunnel or waterver is kept cold during the process. it works better than felt imo.

1 Like

We can definitely do a better job at keeping it cold.

Anyone filter in the freezer? How did you get the vacuum tubes in?

Sounds nice and clean to me :slight_smile:

Are you pushing with pressure or pulling with vacuum on your stainless setup?

Thanks for the links!

Appreciate you and everyone that has taken the time to read and answer this thread! Thank you!

Noted.

We’ve tried it, it gets clear but taste is off. I also think it might be oxidizing much worse with AA.

Will try that out.

lol… yes totally! It does take time.

Definitely a lot of trial and error! Minimizing errors with the guidance here.

Thank you!

@GroovyOctopusLabs that sparks a question, how do you clean your sintered filters?

I understand exactly what you mean. How do you keep your setup cold?

1 Like

a freezer and work fast. Winter is over. I dunno if you are doing it during extraction or post. I dont like ethanol but havent ever done a non ethanol winterization. Now i run cold start to finish. I am gonna experiment with a post extraction non ethanol. but havent yet. I have “dewaxing” columns but feel they are nonsense compared to a fat mans pant sleeve. all my advice is based on lots of ethanol. I havent done it otherwise.

flash chromatography is using pressure. buchner with vacuum is called dcvc or dry column vacuum chromatography

1 Like

I’ve mixed the alumina in with the silica. Seems to pull some(1%) reds out, and I totally agree with the taste part, an extra few passes through a clean cake (no alumina) works well to remove that, also its just good to run it though a clean filter media a few times before you toss it in the roto anyways.
Good luck!

1 Like

I use this. I built it in my ULT cause I was sick of doing 2/3 passes and filtering with vacuum. I use nitrogen to pressurize and ptfe sandwich gaskets have been leak safe down to -70C & 100psig. I just use one of those perfed TC filter plate/ring combos and enough papers that I have to really work to get the ring seated. I’m working with kinda CO₂ crude so I have a lot of stuff to pull out, but definitely nice not having to go back into the freezer multiple times, and using 4 filter papers for 10L of solution is a hell of a lot cheaper than using 10 for the same volume. I just push 60psi for like 4 hours with the nitrogen valve open to the tank, then shut the valve and wander off, when the reg shows the pressure has dropped to 0 ish I just pour another 2L of etoh thats been cooling in the freezer over the top and push that through, usually cleans the fats to white/pink so I’m fairly certain I’m getting all the good stuff out. Its on cabinet slides so I can pull it out to clean and so I can get enough headspace to pour cold solution in (yes I know funnels are like two bucks and I’ll get there eventually but I ain’t made of time).

When you’re vac filtering, pulling too low of a vac on your filter vessel can evaporate your solvent as it comes off the bottom of the paper, and resin will accumulate on the bottom surface which slows down your filtration even more than you slowed it down by using vac in the first place.

3 Likes