Filter size for filtering winterized material?

What are you guys using for filters when filtering off fats and lipids from winterized material in the buchner funnel?

Do you start at a larger micron filter on the first pass and go down on each pass?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

I’m not going to go through each individual post in order to pull the info, but here are the search results for the quoted terms.
Search results for 'filtering off fats and lipids from winterized material ’ - Future4200

4 Likes

That’s one way to go about it. If you do room temp filtration with larger and then freezing filtration for smaller thst works too.

As long as the second pass is going 5um>1um>.5um you’re good.

3 Likes

Make a stainless one. It’s well worth it. You have more control over the filtration. Also non-porous so it’s easier to clean.

1 Like

Finally, go to this link and click on the seven more when you see the links posted in the thread.

That thread and all those links is everything else you wanna know about winterizing

EHO Color Remediation

2 Likes

After changing the search terms a bit I was able to find some information on the topic. There is however a lot of variance in the answers.

You’re a gentleman and a scholar, thank you for all your answers and direction. Sorry for the silly question, do you mean stack the 3 paper filters and do it in one pass or 3 separate passes?

I can see the metal keeping colder longer too, will certainly explore.

Again very much appreciated! What a great thread on color remediation! The links are gold too!

3 Likes

This is a common occurrence, especially when coming to media’s, their amounts, and what to use… I’m sorry that it’s that way, but there’s alot of variance when it comes to what use, and how much. It’s best to go through a couple of posts, and then come to your own conclusions based on what they say, what you have, and what you are trying to do…
I was just trying to give an example of how much info you would get based on your sentence. Changing up the search terms is really the only true way to ensure that you’re triggering the posts that you want versus the posts with little to no info. I look for different usernames (personally) because at this point I know whom supplies the best answers for what I’m looking for.
Many people have spent way too much time figuring all of this stuff out. If you’re looking for an exact answer, you might be able to consult with someone that will provide you with ALL of the answers you seek. BUT it’s going to cost you. (And I’m not talking about me!)
*“Paying the price, whether it’s in time reading, and experimenting, or outright purchase of SOP’s”…

2 Likes

This is definitely the way to go!

For sure there are some absolutely brilliant people on this forum and I’m slowly starting to learn who the brains are.

There is certainly no lack of information and genuine help from those that do know! I can’t express how much I love this place!

3 Likes

Search Otssc Tek, start reading from the top and you’ll find them really quick

Yeah, lmao, I remember how happy I was when I came to the forum. It’s a really interesting community with a ton of good people.

And this is the best route because you won’t be purchasing some expensive filter thinking “this is it”. You’ll know more than you need to know and you’ll be able to make you’re own filtration system.

A lot of people swear by the vacuum assisted buchner, however I swear by the opposite I swear by a closed loop modified to be a pressure assisted filter system.

So it’s always about what works for you and being the safest with what you’re doing, while also maintaining a decent amount of knowledge and data so you stay safe and efficient

3 Likes

i usually just do one pass through a 1um filter at -60 to -80c. i have done two just to see if i was missing some fats or lipids but the second pass comes through clean.

1 Like

Coffee filter is fine for thick coagulated materiel like winterized precipitate. Usually the big holes let some through some materiel for the first minute or so, but eventually it gets gunked up, and the gunk acts as a better filter. Just wait until it runs clear, then put what’s in the container back through the filter

1 Like

How do you keep it from warming up? Takes a while to filter 1600mL on our 110mm buchner, but we keep the material in the freezer between pours, far from a perfect solution but it works.

The winterized material doesn’t warm up by the second pass? Don’t you need to winterize it again for 24-48 between each pass?

D.I. bath

2 Likes

Smallest I have ever used is 1 micron filter papers. Ive been wanting to building a .5 micron sintered filter style funnel for a while. Im sure a metal .5 micron filter is 100x better then papers

2 Likes

Put your beaker on dry ice. If you have the lid off of your Styrofoam cooler you can set a camera and watch the fats fall.

1 Like

The way I first learned to winterize

1 Like

0.5um filter disk.

I end with a 6" 0.5um … I’m overkill on everything though

1 Like

Overkill is the only way. Ive been meaning to setup a all stainless buncher funnel.

2 Likes

:point_up: two is good if you plan on using filter media to clean up a bucket tek run. one is good if you’re just cleaning up bho.

you should try my tek

3 Likes

Yeah I usually add AC to my mix before winterizing. The only time i ever winterize is for my spd. I have been looking into an all stainless setup but we are also working on a large falling film set up that will make my filtering, roto, and spd obsolete.

2 Likes