Filter Plate mistakenly installed above the material column in BVV advertisement?

:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

N2 4 ever

2 Likes

Bottom feed? I mean, they are short bus and all.

4 Likes

Build the right manifold and that is the most effective way, heat up a column and jump it to the other.

1 Like

@ScoobyDoobie Understood! I am seeing something in the bearing extract within the collection base that makes me believe this is contaminates. Maybe lipids or fats but my temps are below -40. What product would you suggest me looking into to place under the material column so that I am able to easily fit a filter paper in, another filer plate like they have in their advertisement or something altogether different? Also, yes this particular machine is a bi-directional input from top or bottom.
@FicklePickle I also pull as hard a vacuum as I can before from the start. I slow inject at least or below -40C from top as directed. Carry out column recovery as well as collection base recovery (since pressure increases due to injection). I try to get the vacuum back to 30 hg but since the material column is so cold it pulls a vac on itself and just won’t get back to the original 30 hg. The culprit, I strongly believe is that I’m using regular ice for my solvent tank which is far slower and less effective but far less messy and combustible than dry ice and alcohol all over the floor… I don’t have heat issues for the most part. I do need to somehow build onto the rack another shelf to raise my recovery pump higher. I’m working out a plan for a -60 freezer to reduce dry ice consumption, material column pre-treatment and injection coil re-homing but that’s another topic altogether. -80 is crazy low, colder than dry ice! I will try going colder then! POST process I noticed that on the inside of my jacketed material column that there is a residue stuck to the walls. Am I to believe that this is fat and lipids or have I made a huge mistake and somehow managed to lost potential product? I will invest time in learning about N2 pushing. Thank you all for your valuable time and attention!

1 Like

Yes that’s fat. You’ll notice the biomass comes out a darker color on the outer surfaces that are touching the metal, definitely fat and lipids being held up by the cold extraction.

Send some of your product out for testing some time and get an idea on your extraction efficiency.

Seems to me like you’ve got your poop in a group. :+1:

1 Like

Usually if it looks like powders are passing thru my filter its just fats and lipids. In my experience a cold extraction isn’t sufficient to stop waxes from being extracted, at least not with an alkane. But I also don’t extract at -80, if I did my seals would probably crack because I don’t use ptfe gaskets.

Filter papers are not as effective as something like @Curious_Roberto suggested. Depth filtration is especially suited to filtration of very small particles from solution and the cost of the filter media is comparable to filter papers. You can make a small depth filtration cartridge with a filter plate and some rolled up filter cloth sheets. You can send solvent thru them to clean them for reuse, which you can’t do with filter papers.

Sounds like waxes that were extracted and then precipitated on the cold steel surface of the material column.

1 Like