Filter Plate mistakenly installed above the material column in BVV advertisement?

So, I may be wrong but is THIS configuration set up that BVV has on the ad wrong? My understanding is that filter plates are supposed to be placed directly below the material column? Thank you for your thoughts and time!

They do this to create space and separation from their flat cap to the material Collin. You also have a mesh gasket there as will. This acts as a shower head so you don’t get channeling straight down. This also allows you to pack that column to the max

3 Likes

Oh, that makes sense. Where would the correct placement of a filter paper be then? Thank you

This is a clever way to advertise. Bravo

1 Like

I love how low that non spark proof pump is on the ground.

Shill account for BVV?

@Rowan This is not an advertisement. I am trying to learn how this operates correctly so I don’t destroy my efforts or blow myself up.

@ScoobyDoobie 100% incorrect

@anon16547145 On my setup the recovery pump is off the floor about 3-4 inches and sitting on 2 cross members of the extrusion. Would changing the default location of this be more beneficial than whats designed? Thanks

The other benefit to a filter on the top is for recovering solvent without particulate making it into your system.

@FicklePickle This is true from the manual they gave me. Something about pieces of thread tape or something. I think since we all got side tracked for a second that my secondary question of where does the filter paper go, went unanswered? I would assume on the top side of the material columns screened gasket but am still unsure.
I did just purchase a sight glass so I can control that very thing. I hope it helps!

Yes. Hydrocarbon gasses are heavier than atmosphere and collect on the ground.

Raise that pump as high as you can, it will last longer and run better and be safer as a bonus

1 Like

@anon16547145 Agreed, from what I’ve read pooling is an issue with stagnate airflow. I did opt for a leak detector although not fool proof, better than nil. @Concentrated_humbold Seems like they should have engineered that system a little bit better then, kind of disappointed :disappointed: That’s a bit unfortunate… Thank you all for your contributions!

Get an explosion proof exhaust fan and ducting.

1 Like

@anon16547145 that is absolutely in the near future! I was thinking of retrofitting a 12 x 24 handi-house shed to a C1D1. I’m still trying to figure out how to climate control it.Thoughts?

Honestly I have trouble with the design as well. I understand their logic, but with any sort of pressure in the system it’ll blow your paper out of the way. You have to let pressure through slow, which is counter intuitive to how we all would like to process… fast as hell

Maybe just a 5um filtered gasket is the best approach here

1 Like

What if the filter paper was placed on the top side of the screened 150 micron filter gasket located just below the material column? The screen would keep the paper from moving at all and add as a support?! As for their slow method they state that you slowly and gently wet the material column from top until it starts to drip into collection, turn off everything and start column recovery to force phase change which freezes material column and moves latent heat through molecular sieve, pump into the condenser and solvent tank. Then restart process but from bottom fill. Once it soaks long enough, release into collection, start recovery, close main valve and use the hot vapor loop to add pressure to the top of the column. Once 1/3 defrosts open valve to release more extract bearing solvent with that pressure.

A screen wouldn’t be sufficient as backing for a paper filter because its too flexible. You need to be sure your paper filter stays perfectly flat to maintain its micron rating.

Could be the system was designed for bottom flood, i see a tee above that valve that isolates the collection pot.

2 Likes

I don’t know about all that. I pull a really hard vacuum on the system and then inject at around 2-3lbs a min. With the bottom of the material column closed, I wait till the solvent scale stops moving, telling me the column is full. Then I wait 2-5 min depending on how I feel that day, then move on to crc or collection.

I get their logic behind butane evaporation chilling the column, but that seems like an unrealistic approach. Especially if you have an unreal amount of heat available (like myself).

I pull my columns from dry ice and try to inject as close to -80c as I can get to.

I think hot loop push is ridiculous, n2 for the win. Hot loop push for recovery however is a good plan if your able to bring it from material column to material column.

3 Likes