Feeding dogs raw diet

Very random, but…

Would love to hear if anyone is doing a raw style diet for their k9 friends. I started my 8 week Caucasian Shepard on the BARF (biologically appropriate raw foods) raw diet the day after I got her and am just wanting to see if anyone else is doing this. Would love to hear about your experience.

I will be incorporating a ton of wild game thanks to my location. Also using as much from our garden as we can.

If this goes well I will switch all my dogs to it…(we are currently doing kibble supplemented with raw for all our dogs, minus Caucasian Shepard)

I will share a picture of her dinner in a couple hours.

Feel free to move to EC if that’s a better place. Lol

15 Likes

I feed raw. The dogs love it and it’s definitely biologically appropriate. Wild game is excellent, you can use dehydrated/freeze dried raw to supplement as well like Sojos or Honest kitchen

5 Likes

Thank you for the input! Will read into those products…

Looked into them and imo would be really nice for camping trips where refrigeration isn’t an option (aka 95 percent of ours haha)

2 Likes

My girlfriend feeds her dogs raw and they love it. One of her older dogs was having some issues on kibble and switching over to a mainly raw diet helped alleviate them. It’s more expensive than kibble but it’s the least we can do for our furry family members if it’s healthier and leads to a better life for them!

Most of what they get is red meat. I know beaver and beef are that main ones but here are a few other animals in the mix as well. I’ll find out the company they order from and get back

6 Likes

Be careful with raw wild game . A lot of wild game is full of parasites and disease . Maybe cook the wild stuff and stick to a trusted source for raw

4 Likes

My dogs have always been fed raw meaty bone diets. Including side of the road game. Current farm dog 7 years (whole life)

6 Likes

I have 3 Belgian malinois I feed raw diet from 8 weeks , my dogs are 100% working dogs . The benefit I have seen over the years were muscle tone and endurance . Only tricky part I had was getting all the nutrients my dogs required in all there meals.
My advice would be look at some really sound raw diet receipts or talk to your vet and research whats mandatory needed for each meal then you can add all the little goodies.
Sometime my wife will boil the meats and added to there meal with gravy they just love it . Also is a little easier on the stomach during the transition food stage.
moderating there poop is what I did, once it goes from soft to sold then you got a good nutrient blend.
FYI store kibble dog food has a different PH balance than raw diet.
Mixing the two will give some difficulty digesting.
Just my 2 cents, congrats on the new pup
Peace

8 Likes

i feed raw, my pup was raised on it from weaning so why would I give crappy dog food. also im not usda style, I dont mix in portions of each thing each feeding. I just give her treats of human food, some beef shanks and mostly whole chicken with organs. not 1 at a time but 1/2 at a time ive used supplements and give stuff like fruits beggies and yogurt too.

3 Likes

Appreciate the information thump. I know you love your pup…

1 Like

Chicken wing, gizzards, beef chunks, sardine (gave to her as treat at the end), full egg and spinach

Fresh Goat milk coming up for desert

She was hyped…

9 Likes

Nice growing up our farm dogs back in Mexico were fed straight marrow and bone from the butcher with meat. I remember both Staffys ate 3kg a day were monsters but loyal and trained. I feel like animals fed raw diets have different temperament they work work

4 Likes

I feed my dogs sprouts and broccoli blended in goats milk and mixed with eggs for the probiotic/prebiotics.

I hydrate chia seed and mix it with their dog food… I’ve got to feed at least some kibble to em since they try to inhale all their food. Worried about then choking.

8 Likes

I get my local grocery store to freeze 30lb blocks of turkey necks, which they cut into 1kg blocks. They also blended 100kg of gizzards, liver, tripe, heart, and chicken feet. The pup gets a kg of necks every day, a kg of the organ meat mix every other day.

She also cleans up after we slaughter animals (and the game bone dump at the top of the hill in the fall)

She picks berries off the vines when they are in season, but I’ve never once fed a dog plants, and I’ve never seen her choose to eat plants other than the berries.

10 Likes

spinach or lettuce is probably the only thing my dog WONT eat.

2 Likes

Most dogs are good at avoiding toxic compounds like the oxalic acid found in those greens that can cause kidney failure in dogs (and humans)

2 Likes

she starts eating pot leaves if I ignore her during harvest. only off the ground not off a plant.

does anyone else feeding raw notice the dog not drinking? my dog BARELY drinks and shes 8. Her poop is a dry white balls the size of grapes. SHe literrally can go weeks without drinking. I put it out for her but she has no interest unless its hot and shes running. its getting better now that shes older and now she does drink more but used to NOT drink and was still healthy? She has jerky treats that a neighbor gave her, that may be why shes thirsty now. She was getting almost all her water from the meat and blood.

are your dogs fed raw all the time? they should learn to chew. i gave my dog cherries this week and i wasnt happy that she didnt figure out they have pits, she just wolfed them down instead of depitting them. I want her to know theres pis so she cant break a tooth or something.

I feed my dog Boiled, make sure they’re peeled too, carrots and potatoes

He only eats food with those in it now

1 Like

RAW DIET FOR THE WIN!!

Nutrient balance is key.

17 Likes