Feedback for CBD distillate MCT tincture

Hi guys,
I browsed a lot through this nice website and I need a little bit of help here.
I mixed my own cbd oil and my aim was to have 10ml with 30% cbd.

Ingredients:

• MCT oil
  • CBD full spectrum distillate 93% purity

I used:

2.7g cbd destillate crystalized
6.3g MCT

9g total (~10ml oil)

I first melted the 2.7g crystalized destillate at 60-65 celsius and after it had become honey-liquid, I mixed it with 6.3g MCT oil with the help of my magnetic stirrer for about 10 minutes.

My questions:

1.) Is my math correct? My thought was that 2.7g/9g= 30%
2.) Does crystalized CBD distillate weigh the same as melted distillate?
3.) The color was light-yellow, so absolutely not amber or dark yellow, which I knew from all other MCT based CBD oils. Shouldn’t mine be darker?

On one picture you can see how it looked like after the mixing in the beaker, looks light yellow.
On the second picture you can see the MCT CBD oil 30% which I bought on the left side and mine on the right. The seller from the left one told me that he mixed it with distillate as well. Mine looks almost clear to light yellow. So what did I do wrong?

I really need help on this, thank you for your support!

where did you get “30% CBD”?
did you get a COA on any of this?
most store bought CBD will be at or below 3% CBD, often as low as 5mg/ml

is your math correct?

no

1. 0.93 x 3 == 2.79, which should be rounded to 2.8 not 2.7g
    and you actually need to divide by 0.93 not multiply.

if you’ve only got 930mg CBD per gram, the only way to get 3000mg is to use MORE than 3g not less.

1. most use weight/volume rather than w/w for tinctures. you’re looking for 333mg CBD/ml.

if you used 2700mg (1000mg in a gram) in 10ml total volume (that was your aim…but you didn’t actually measure "MCT until 10ml), you’ve got 270mg distillate/ml. if that distillate was 93% CBD you’d have 270x 0.93 = 251mg/ml.

which is lighter, a lb of CBD or a lb or feathers? (neither, they both weigh a lb).

if you took a jar and melted the contents, that does not change the weight. it may well change the density. which means the VOLUME changed. the weight remains constant. as does the percent CBD by weight.

8 Likes

hi cyclopath, thank you for your feedback.

Yes, I have a COA. High percentages are quite common in Europe.

So if I understand correctly, I would take 3.3g of melted distillate and fill the rest up with MCT oil (up to 10ml) to get a 30% tincture, correct?

But the additional few mg/ml will not have a strong impact on the color. Mine is way to clear, not looking at all like CBD oil… What can I do to get a nice dark amber gold, like the one on the left?

The seller of the oil on the left guaranteed, that it was distillate and MCT only. So maybe he is using a different kind of distillate?

This is my distillate when melted:

Not all distillate is made equally. Some tast like hemp, and some have no tast at all. Some are dark and some are light. Looks like you received some nice quality distillate. This is definitely something to consider if your developing a brand, and want to keep things consistent for your customers.

5 Likes

you are not the only one who seems to think darker color means “more potent”. neither CBD nor MCT are colored, so the metric your using is not actually linked to either.

no

show your work, with units!

lets look at that 3.3g:

3.3g x 0.93 = 3069mg in 10ml is 307mg/ml rather than the 333mg/ml you’re after.

if you’re making 10ml at 333mg/ml how many mg of CBD do you need?

how many grams of DISTILLATE is that?

4 Likes

No it’s just that every MCT CBD oil I bought in the past was darker than mine. Even 15% or 20%. That is the reason I thought something was wrong.

ok, but 3069mg equals ~30% CBD in 10ml, so that would work.

358mg

3.58g

you need 3333mg of CBD

which is 3583 mg (or 3.58g) of distillate

(so two errors on “how much CBD”)

agreed. not sure why I was stuck on 33%… other than I formulated at 33.33mg/ml for about 5years.

Edit: 33.33mg/ml is (approx) 1000mg/ fluid ounce (~30ml). Which is a fairly standard dropper bottle size (15ml,30ml,…).

You could also just bring weight to 10.00g if you wanted to do 30% by weight.

1 Like

For the record I will often multiply AND divide by the concentration as a sanity check on “did I remember to do the math right?”.

I prefer to get the math right once and have the computer do it from there on out in a production environment (spread sheet templates work, but databases work better).

2 Likes

A sanity check makes sense. Ok, I will build a badass excel workbook on that. I started already.
Grams and ml is all somewhat confusing and a mindf***, but I like it.

To go back to my example:

For my recipe I would need 3300mg melted distillate (at 93%) in the beaker and fill it up to 10ml with MCT, so 307mg/ml of CBD, which would equal 30%. In other words 6.93ml MCT + 3.3g distillate equals my 30% oil. Correct?

Btw: I derived the answer on the color. It is quite possible that the seller of the dark yellow oil, had a low concentration distillate (e.g. 50%), so it was necessary to use more distillate then with my 93% concentration. More distillate in clear MCT, would mean a darker yellow color…this could be an explanation…right?

That might be close, but assumes your distillate is 1g/ml (it’s not, but it is kind of close as densities go), it also assumes that the distillate + MCT continue to take up the same volume when mixed (which they don’t quite).

Close enough for home use? Absolutely.

For the analytical types around here? No.

That’s why “bring to volume” is a thing with chemists. The early ones took the time to make special flasks just for that trick…

1 Like

I understand.
Alternatively, I could fill 100ml in total and make 9.x bottles each 10ml with 30%.
It’s easy as I only need to multiply everything by 10.

1 Like

…and, just to keep the record straight

there IS a difference in “weight” between a kg of distillate at 25C and one that has been heated to 85C to melt it. just not enough to measure on the balance you or I are using. because: General Relativity

thread also gives a couple of values for the density of distillate (which will vary based on purity and cannabinoid composition).

3 Likes

those values would probably explain your “lava lamp” behavior for water/disty in the microwave…

2 Likes

@cyclopath right me up a quick sop for this…

I have 1ml glass syringe. And a more (I trust) accurate 1cc plastic syringe

2 Likes

you’re looking to get disty density measurements for us?

or just pointing out how much easier it it to weigh a gram accurately than to measure an ml accurately?

as far as the density measurement goes, it will be limited by your ability to measure 1ml with any accuracy. large volumes are going to be more accurate. so 200ml aliquots would probably give the most accurate data we can get out of that scale. ideal would be a couple or three volumetric flasks.

as we know temperature will affect the answer, settling on the temps we want data for is a given .

if you’d like to try it with your 1ml syringes (limited accuracy and possible sample loss. then get yourself a nice warm jar of distillate, in a temp controlled bath or decent volume of water at chosen temp, and start weighing “grams” (mls).

when calibrating pipettes, I just put a boat in there and hit tare between measurements. I’d recommend the same strategy here.

10 measurements at any given temp should give us a decent approximation, and allow us to see the sort of error margin your syringing skills bring to the able.

3 Likes

Super late reply to bump this but I have some anecdotal experience to add here:

I’ve noticed the higher the temperature I use to melt the distillate, the darker it gets. Specifically if temps are over 80-90 celsius. I’ve also noticed that it can get more dark the longer it is at a high temperature. This is was melting the distillate in borosilicate glass first, and then adding the MCT oil for tinctures, or oleic acid for topicals as the carrier oil. Stirred in with a magnetic stirrer hot plate for ~5-10 minutes, bringing the heat down as I do it.

I’ve seen my light amber/yellowish distillate turn a deep red, burgundy-ish colored if melted at too high heat. This was with full spectrum hemp distillate, ~75% CBD or CBG with a solid amount of minor cannabinoids in there. I’m not entirely sure what causes the shift in color, or if it has any real effect on the potency/effectiveness of the distillate. Might be from oxidation, but maybe somebody else with more extraction/chemistry experience can chime in.

I’ve since started going for the lowest temperature possible to melt it, I’ve had success around 40-50C. Your mileage may vary depending on the distillate itself. These lower temps have led to almost no color change, and honestly my customers haven’t really had much of a preference either way with the color in tinctures or topicals, but I feel like the lighter colors look more “premium”.

2 Likes