Distillate at home storage, preventing oxidation? Using water in the headspace of jars?

Put some steel in water. Oxidation.

2 Likes

thc/cbd distillate is not steel, if you put a peice of plastic in water you will not see a reaction like iron oxide forming with some types of steel. even then, if you used distilled water then this reaction doesnt take place.

2 Likes

Has that been your experience?

1 Like

You’ll want to use a heavy gas like argon mentioned above

1 Like

Well in his defence, you didnt answer his question you just told him to do what is known to work. But that’s not what he was asking, he seems to know that any inert gas will work to avoid oxidation so your comment wasnt helpful to his situation.

Dont take offense to it, hes looking for someone to bounce some ideas off of not someone to tell him what works.

3 Likes

Turns out you can make a lava lamp with disty and near boiling water…

Haven’t figured out why one might do this, perhaps to deodorize?

2 Likes

I’ve actually tried to make a DIY lava lamp liquid system.
I ended up making a working solution from a mixture of various oils in my garage and paraffin candle wax. Took about 30 different mixtures till I found something that behaved the way I wanted it to. :crazy_face:

Now I want to add something that’s chemiluminescent.

3 Likes

So for argon do you spray in jar out lid on and then vac seal it in a oven? Or am I missing something?

1 Like

Argon is heavier than air, so if your slowly “pour” it into the head space of your container you can just cap it.

2 Likes

I’ve used near boiling water to remove PG from a bad mixture of crude/PG. The odd effect of this hot water wash and sep. Funnel cleansing gave me some really nice single pass distillate.

1 Like

@spdking seems to concur

I don’t see the need for vacuum and blanket gas I usually pull a vacuum on my Mason jars or use n2 for blanket gas but not both.

When long term storing food like rice and beans we would pop a piece of dry ice in our mylar bags let the co2 fill the headspace before we seal with an o2 absorber.

Anyway this thread is about the use of distilled water on top of your distillate to keep it from reacting to Atmos. We do this with guacamole and avocados to keep it green and not to oxidize.

2 Likes

Do you think distilled water in the headspace of a mason jar would have a negative effect on distillate? Would it help slow the color change from distillate oxidizing when reacting to Atmos?

1 Like

yeah sorry. read your post & I added water to the jar…then for reasons I can’t fathom I decided to microwave it. :crazy_face:

seems like it might be a win.
at least for that jar. :thinking:

as for protecting from oxidation, yes, it should keep O2 out, and I don’t believe it will cause you any major grief.

popping and sputtering on the nail might be an issue, but it should pour right off if you’re storing in the fridge.

1 Like

I’m pretty lazy so finding a simpler way to store distillate is intriguing. Pouring a few mm of distilled water on top and throwing my distillate in the fridge is pretty fucking lazy lol. But I am opening this jar daily sometimes multiple times a day to mix various batches of vape orders

1 Like

The microwave was an interesting addition haha

1 Like

Water carries dissolved oxygen. And your oil is not pure so terpenes polyphenols lipids etc react. Try it and youll find out.

2 Likes

doing so…

Can we use helium to back-fill vs argon or l2? I have a helium tank I used to find spd leaks (it’s really not needed).

How long does this work?

Seems like it would slow down oxidation, not stop it.

There is dissolved oxygen in water. I have a DO meter.

Hot water holds less dissolved oxygen. At 100C it can’t really hold any. I wonder if you could use steam to fill the headspace…would that be enough water after it condenses?

2 Likes