FDA Sends Warning Letters to D8 Manufacturers and other hemp derived products

A period after yourfirst word in a setence oh noes! my typ ng is wong!~!!

Yall always try to attack my spelling i can give a fuck less this the internet not a work email. Be more focused on irrelevant things to the topic :deuces:

1 Like

Deuces too, eh?

Nevermind, a teenage girl wrote that.

All upset because of garbage reading comprehension. Iz ok bb.

1 Like

More like 89’ hasslehoff and bust

1 Like

It always concerns me when people are dismissive of what the FDA does.

Earlier this year the FDA told Charlotte’s Web that CBD is not GRAS - even with all the data they submitted for it.

Then they said that hemp derived products are not allowed in food or dietary supplements and only one (CBD) has been approved as a drug, Epidiolex.

Then they issued warning letters for labeling and when they did so the USDA came out and said hemp derived products are not okay except for a specific list (hemp oil, hemp hearts, hemp seeds, etc.)

Then they issued a specific warning to consumers specific to adverse events being reported across the country (which then lead to bans of hemp derived products in 18 states).
Now they have issued warning letters for what everyone here is calling “medical claims”. But that’s not all these letters were about. And I think its appropriate to talk about that - because we could be fearful of articles like this and call them fearmongering. Or would could treat them like all other regulated industries treat these kinds of notices - as indicators of the current direction of enforcement at the Agency.

"The letters also cite violations related to drug misbranding (e.g., the products lack adequate directions for use) and the addition of delta-8 THC in foods, such as gummies, chocolate, caramels, chewing gum, and peanut brittle. "

Let me be more specific - since it seems like perhaps people did not read the warning letters (which are linked in the article and available free to the public).

To ATLRx - not related to medical claims, but instead utilization of unapproved FOOD ADDITIVES in FOOD. And it is not GRAS - they are specific about this, call out CBD being used in gummies as food.

To BioMD Plus - not related to medical claims, but again because of unapproved food additives.

For Delta 8 Hemp - unrelated to medical claims, but again because of unapproved food additives and that selling these products in interstate commerce is is a violation of the FD&C statutes.

For Kingdom Harvest - unrelated to medical claims, but again because of unapproved food additives being added to “conventional foods” specifically honey and coffee.

And for M Six Labs - unrelated to medical claims, but again because of unapproved food additives:

All of these companies have 15 days from receiving these letters to respond. Without responding they will then face forfeiture of their assets, the inability to continue selling these products at all, and potentially jail time and hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines.

I’ve been the one receiving a warning letter and a consent decree in my pharma days - your whole business stops, they come and chain up the doors and you cannot even go inside!

FDA has been specific and clear. And now they are starting enforcement. Everyone here should take notice that all of these letters state that you cannot use CBD because it is A DRUG - and not eligible to be a food additive.

A couple of these warning letters talk about D8 - because its new and there are adverse events, and people are making weird medical claims on social media. But all of these letters talk about adulterated food products containing unapproved food additives.

Adulterated food products lead to involuntary recalls on a national level. So expect to see that or a voluntary recall in about 2 weeks.

9 Likes

Koi got the same complaint a few years ago about adterated food

https://www.fda.gov/inspections-compliance-enforcement-and-criminal-investigations/warning-letters/koi-cbd-llc-593391-11222019

They are still selling gummies

2 Likes

Ftc seems to be likely to enforce this stuff too

1 Like

Just glad something will maybe be done about the legitimate snake oils that are sold to cancer patients and sick people. Not a fan of federal government or federal entities of sorts, but maybe the FDA will put their foot down on the people profiting off of snake oil.

Only issue I can see is just more government interference/power. Although in this instance, it’s bettering the people. I hope they don’t use this opportunity to push more pharma med’s and propaganda though.

Who am I kidding this will probably be used to monopolize on it and squash small dogs over time.

So what about cbd tinctures, sprays, patches, smokes, etc… that are not a part of “food”, but are sold on their own. Since they are “eaten” or “ingested” technically, are they coming for those too?

The entire vitamin and supplement section of the grocery store, and products that are advertised every night on TV with false claims are all non-FDA approved products. This doesn’t make the products illegal to sell as long as the FDA disclaimer is there.

1 Like

I see your point. Thanks. Hard to believe that bigger companies like Koi, etc… would put themselves in a position to get on the wrong side of the FDA. Truly no win.

1 Like

Make more $ than you have to settle for. Plenty of businesses do that.

That’s the 2022 American way

3 Likes

You know this has been going on forever right. Just don’t make medical claims directly from your company.

Feds are always bad…always.

1 Like

Pharma already started conspiring, we just won’t find out about it for like 50 years

1 Like

It’s no secret

4 Likes

Oh that they’re after cannabinoids is no secret…I’m talking about the imminent scandals we are bound to witness associated with their involvement in compounding and synthesizing cannabinoids

They’ll fuck it up somehow

2 Likes

Agreed which is why I’m worried about this

What I think FDA will do is just make it harder for small people to approve their CBD products, in favor for corporations or synthetic alternatives.

That’s no conspiracy. The big boys are already making plans and laying the groundwork with shell companies and LLCs.

On the bright side, pharma-grade cannabinoid formulations is a space 99% of this forum won’t be interested or prepared to participate in. Pharma-grade cannabinoids won’t be competing with adult use rec cannabis and that isn’t going anywhere.

…in my humble opinion.

3 Likes

They will try to overstep it into rec if they get a good monopoly on medical.

Like I said, I think the FDA is in kahoot’s with these companies to push small game out and approve synthetic’s for these companies to sell without issue.

I can see why it seems like a good move, FDA is putting the foot down on snake oil, but it won’t go that way. It will never.