FDA Says New Path needed for CBD!

Hi all.

This just in from the FDA - CBD needs new rules!

I know we’ve been talking about it - but here is something new direct from the FDA about CBD not being food additive OR dietary supplement (also not drugs??!)

Which says they are working with legislators to fix the issue.

I’ve been asking for a totally new CANNABIS department at FDA for years now. And here they are finally saying they agree. <3 <3 <3

8 Likes

RIP CBD gummies

“Given the available evidence, it is not apparent how CBD products could meet safety standards for dietary supplements or food additives. For example, we have not found adequate evidence to determine how much CBD can be consumed, and for how long, before causing harm. Therefore, we do not intend to pursue rulemaking allowing the use of CBD in dietary supplements or conventional foods.”

“For External Use Only” :wink:

1 Like

lol how you gonna externally apply a fruit gummy :joy:

3 Likes

They make my armpits smell fantastic!

5 Likes

:man_shrugging: That’s for the consumer to figure out I’m just following the rules officer :laughing:

The FDA will continue to take action against CBD and other cannabis-derived products to protect the public

Because what it’s really all about is keeping you safe.

3 Likes

6 Likes

Despite being a dare graduate, I don’t remember Daren the lion. But from what I read, “Daren represents the courage it takes to be your own person.”

1 Like

I think Darren became a thing like a year or two after I did DARE in the late 90s as I remember my brothers and sisters having shirts and the like with him on it but mine was the classic badass logo that made you want to do ALL the drugs

5 Likes

Dare wasn’t out yet when I was in school. My parents would throw wild parties and half of my teachers would be there getting drunk and high. Back then I’d buy beer for my dad and drive it home when he needed me to. We lived in a small town so this type of shit was normal. DARE was only invented to get kids to tell school staff there were drugs in the home.

5 Likes

Can you please elaborate on why you believe this news is beneficial? Sounds to me like we’re taking big steps in the complete opposite direction of progress for the CBD Industry.

3 Likes

Keeps the ball moving.

see: cellular wafers

2 Likes

Wafer Thin

Wafer thin you say?

9 Likes

That makes sense, if it gets kicked back to Congress, we know it won’t get any real attention for the foreseeable future.

Clarity from the FDA that they have made their decision and unless someone else (aka Congress) tells them otherwise there will be no movement is seriously important.

We’ve all been waiting around for this - including people who engage actively with Congress. Congress keeps saying, the FDA will figure it out. And the FDA has said - well we have sorted it and we aren’t going to allow any of this stuff to exist unless Congress creates a new framework.

Its not often that the Executive Branch pushes back authority and says, “Hey legislative branch, fix the things because otherwise we are in a standstill.”

For me it means now when I talk to Congress I’m saying, the FDA has asked for your help. And it also means - that they have been very clear that these rules exist AND that they are enforcing.

There are a lot of people who seem to think its some weird “gray zone” because there was a perceived lack of clarity. This is quite clear - so if we want these cannabis derived products to exist legally within interstate commerce - then we must have the rules changes. Because its not legal today - and they have doubled down on that and enforcement has started.

5 Likes

We’ll see on that… still waiting for the DEA to take any kind of action on “thca hemp” and other cannabis businesses with completely transparent online markets delivering countrywide

4 Likes

Like they do for hot d8? :joy:Bahahaha

Fuck it

1 Like

I do hope you’re right on this one. I’ve been considering building out a small automated production space for making water-soluble (non d8) but the upcoming farm bill and the FDA enforcement has been making me reconsider investing just yet. There’s enough time between now and the farm bill’s expiration in September to get in and out, but who knows.

To quote George Carlin, 'when the left and the right both agree on something, you know you’re in for an extra good fucking.’ In this case its different branches of government, but seems similar enough. This would be my worst fear, but I’m hopeful as well.

4 Likes