Favorite Artists

Always enjoy discovering new artists during trips. Found out about Alia Ali in a gallery in New Orleans.

8 Likes

Mad Money Mise (RIP)

Mr.Totem

Steve (ESPO) Powers

(I actually I want a very large version of that print to hang in my house very very very badly)

6 Likes

Switching it up with some classic stuff… I have a strong fascination with Goya, especially his Black Paintings. Cool thread idea!

5 Likes

Millard Wells
Most of the pictures with boats are my grandfather
images (3)
images (2)
images (1)
images
H0057-L22969209
H0057-L22969583
All done in watercolor

5 Likes

Quit messaging me people. I do not care

I have a bunch of favorite artists; my all time favorite modern artist is Julian bustos!

Alex gray is a solid second favorite, I have 2 of his prints in storage, I should really get framed and hung soon!

I’m also really into blotter art I have a fairly large collection of blotter art, can’t remember any of the artists names off the top of my head but they are fun pieces.

As far as classical art; the list is very long, my all time favorite is probably Albrecht Dürer, it’s my dream to one day own one of his prints, hopefully I can acquire one before the prices get too insane, they are still relatively cheap in fine art auctions.

Rembrandt is pretty awesome, I went the Rembrandt museum in Amsterdam when I was younger and it was an incredible experience.

I’m way into sculpture and busts, this is one of my finest pieces, a museum quality Apollo bust from the 30s. I had it appraised and let’s just say I opted to go get it insured the next day.

I inherited a large collection of Patrick Nagel’s prints from my aunt when she passed away, I don’t display them tho, they just sit in storage they aren’t really my style. Still cool looking tho! And I appreciate them forsure!

8 Likes

Alex Grey used to throw parties and do live paintings at his place Chapel of Sacred Mirrors in NYC that I would go to long ago in the early / mid 2000s… he opened it back up not far from me in NY but I never made it back before they closed permanently. He rules and so does Tool.

5 Likes

Im not certain of the aritsts but this page on instagram called @vintage_scifiart has been catching my eye lately

And this rick and morty art is pretty wild

6 Likes

Educated guess via Google Lens before the Rick & Morty ones:

1. Shogo Endo
  2. Nick Keller
  3. Nick Keller
  4. Paul Lehr
  5. Naoyuki Kato
  6. Kentaro Miura
  7. Possibly the same as 6? Seems to be a manga series called Berserk.
2 Likes

The manga series Berserk actually fed an insane amount of ideas to the Dark Souls series. I’ve seen a few side by sides, let me see if they’re still around

DS1 I believe

8 Likes

Skinner

Prey UPS

I think I was like 30ft down the wall when he was painting this one. super minimal. Guy has amazing style.

Ironically this was across the street from my old plug’s house like 15 years ago

MOTHERFUCKIN CAYPE FTK

We painted that bad boy at like 4am after a very full night of painting tons more trains

9 Likes

One of my favorite paintings is Pierre-Georges Jeanniot’s “Reservists” (1870):

French artists in this period were particularly good at depicting realistic settings, and many were veterans of the Franco Prussian War. This painting depicts French reserve troops preparing to board a train for the frontlines.

5 Likes

Wookerson:

5 Likes

Timothy Doyle

Anthony F. Schepperd - most people know him from the music scene, I like the hand drawn shape shifting animations a lot

Dax Norman

6 Likes

I love that type of animation…like this Shabazz Palaces video…

3 Likes

Drew Struzan

(I have that literally above my desk)

I was today years old when I found out Drew did the artwork for Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath

3 Likes

Nice collection over at Moco in Barcelona.

Keith Haring:

Jean-Michel Basquiat:

Damien Hirst:

Hayden Kays:

Kaws:

Banksy:

Takashi Murakami:

David LaChapelle:

This time around, it was Guillermo Lorca:

And Yago Hortal:

7 Likes

Thank you for putting that out there. I love seeing a specific ICH tag and I’m gonna take a picture of it next time I pass it.

1 Like

Dude is EVERYWHERE. I used to bribe the night shift of a CSX yard that’s no longer in service (Beacon Park in Allston) with weed and booze so I could paint trains several nights a week with them watching over me, letting me know of any hazards via radio. Hell, i’ve even got my safety gear they gave me. So many workers just walked by me back in the day thinking I was just there for a paycheck. Fun fact - the workers love him because he stays off the numbers on the side of the car and has become a bit of a legend on the rails because of it.

1 Like

Rate (NYC/Boston)

There was one of his rats right across from my old subway stop in Boston (Roxbury Crossing). I remember looking at it every single fucking day thinking about how much I hated my job and how my time would be way better spent hustling and painting. Wasn’t wrong. Best life.

Nasty Neckface (NYC/LA)

Nekst (Houston)

This bitch was probably one of the most notorious subway cars to ever run in Boston. Red line.

2 Likes