Fast diamonds vs slow diamonds. Which is better? Why?

I’m curious about the difference of fast vs slow diamonds as far as smokability is concerned. Hell let’s even talk chemistry here. What’s the real difference between fast and slow diamonds? Does size and clarity actually matter when it comes to smoking it? Is this all just opinion? I’ve smoked a lot of both. It’s gone both ways telling me it’s less the process and more the grow and post care of the material that determined my level of enjoyment. That’s my theory anyway. Looking forward to hearing what everyone else thinks and feels about this topic. Thanks

6 Likes

Thca is thca it’s all about the terp profile. whether it’s a big rock or small sugar it’s the same. it all turns to oil when you smoke it anyways. big rocks are for flexing. but doing a cooler crystallization will help keep a better profile. The way it’s grown and strains is one of the most important things though. just my 2 cents

16 Likes

if you smoke pure thca with no terps you get super high but it’s boring as hell. zero flavor

19 Likes

Totally agree with everything you said. Thanks for your input.

1 Like

Only thing I’ve noticed with a slower crystallizing is you’ll get a clearer stone w no trapped inclusions making it cloudy from to fast growing

14 Likes

What I nclusions are you Talking about? terps , or solvents? Can solvents get trapped in crystals?

I typically get a fat layer of white crystals on bottom with in a few hours. Tested at 8 ppm residual solvent on last run. the whiteness I believe is telling me I’m not really holding on to terps. What other inclusions should I be aware of? Doesn’t seem to be solvents either

1 Like

I thought it could be fats getting stuck inside the stones before to but some ppl said fats cant grow in stone idk

But something makes them cloudy growing fast

@Soxhlet any idea

1 Like

Welcome to my life lol

2 Likes

I was curious as to the composition of this. Cold crashed this in 2 days.

7 Likes

Looks similar to this attempt.

7 Likes

I’ve only done this once. It’s pure isolate. I got this from over color remediating my oil.

I got it from leaving my collection full over night but low. Everything crashed out of it into a 120g puck

5 Likes

When competing crystalline structures converge on one another their lattices dont line up perfectly and this is what causes the large crystals grown fast to be cloudy, inconsistency in the crystalline lattice.

When crystals are grown slower they tend to grow in a more ordered fashion.

11 Likes

This is correct.

Crystals are crystals, consistency has nothing to do with anything other then preference.

I personally think all the different consistencies mean absolutely nothing. It’s all melts to oil when dabbed. That people charge more for one consistency over another is just weird in my opinion.

Good in good out. The nose knows, every time.

4 Likes

The only difference with the size of the crystals is the amount of terpenes sitting in the spaces between the crystals, the smaller crystals have greater surface area of space between the crystals so sauces tend to have more terpenes than big diamonds. Both do the job

1 Like

Like any crystallizations , slower crystallizations make clearer crystals because as crystals form slowly the impurities make their way to the outside of the crystal
Fast crystals are cloudy because of impurities trapped inside the lattice
I think.
I know ice can do that and you can “freeze distill” wine like that, freeze out the water and the alcohol stays, increasing the abv

3 Likes

It doesn’t have to be an impurity trapped in the crystal that makes it turn cloudy. As an example think about when you bend clear plastic and it becomes cloudy. Its because you interrupted the crystalline structure and thats the way light refracts thru that part of the crystal now causing it to look cloudy.

Even a trapped impurity is still essentially just an interruption in the crystalline lattice.

7 Likes

Ppl charge more for the time it takes. They could have pushed out way more sugar in the same space vs waiting a month or better for perfectly faceted stones.

Time is money imo

4 Likes

Are people actually paying more for diamonds though? From what I’ve seen is everyone want batter and rosin these days.

To me diamonds, sugar, batter from the same strain (extracted cold) all have the same effect. I personally wouldn’t pay more for something that has the same effect, regardless of how long it took to make.

The effect is all that matters to me. Taste and smell are strongly correlated to the effect , appearance is not.

4 Likes

Theres a whole subculture on Instagram of folks who only want photogenic extracts and will pay through the nose for them.

I’d assume it’s just a hype since big diamonds are relatively new to the market. All the beautiful pictures on instagram makes everyone want the newest product on the market.

9 Likes