Fast Acting Edibles vs. Traditional

So there are lots of “Fast Acting” edibles popping up, all of which use some sort of encapsulation process to bypass metabolism in the gut. We even have one in development ourselves now…

But my question is - Will these edibles that bypass the gut hit as hard as ones metabolized in the gut?
We know that the THC in traditional, oil based edibles in transformed into 11-hydroxy-THC (11-OH-THC) in the liver and that 11-OH-THC is a more psychoactive substance than D9. If the 11-OH-THC is never produced, then the effects should be less psychoactive in comparison to an edible made with normal distillate.

One of the marketing points on some of these fast acting edibles is that the THC is not metabolized in the gut so it never transformed to 11-OH-THC in the liver, so you don’t get an overload of 11-OH-THC, making you feel too high.
So when we cut that step out, does that mean these fast acting edibles will hit you quicker, but have a less noticeable effect than traditional edibles, metabolized in the gut?

EDIT: Sorry if this is in the wrong category/sub-category. Can we get an edible sub-category under Hash & Stuff? :face_with_monocle:

9 Likes

Crazy how we got to this point from brownies ten years ago.

15 Likes

isn’t that insane? this industry evolves overnight man, it’s nuts.

4 Likes

Second this. @sidco

9 Likes

I personally have felt the difference with nano vs regular. It comes on pretty fast as in within 20mins (these are capsules ) and i felt 10mg of d9 like i never had before. That been said i dont think the co sumer is willing to pay more for that. I know the bio availabailty is increased but i dont think people are going to pay that much more for it. Trying to tell someome you only need 10mg of d9 becuase its 90% bioavailability vs buying 100mg and only 10% is bioavailable isnt going fly

5 Likes

I hear ya. But that’s not what I am getting at.
I am talking about the efficacy of the edible… When we process D9 in our gut it is converted into 11-OH-THC, which is more psychoactive, or more ‘potent’ than D9.

If we are skipping that step of it being converted to 11-OH-THC, making it more psychoactive, are we losing some of the psychoactive effects? I know they work quicker, I can attest to that… but I don’t think 100mg of the fast acting got me as high as 100mg distillate would… got me high quicker, but didn’t hit me like edibles normally do…
But it sounds like in your experience, that was not the case. As you said you felt the 10mg like you never had before.

In my experience, the nano gummies feel more like smoking. They are slightly less potent, but I prefer them to traditional edibles when I’m doing anything physically active like hiking or exercising.

Eat too many though, they’ll still make me sleepy as hell. That range is more in the 70-80 mg range for me instead of 50-60 mg of traditional edibles.

4 Likes

Interesting. I had a similar experience.
I still felt high, no doubt about it, and I definitely felt the onset much quicker. But never got to that “Fuck I’m HIGH” moment

Great suggestion

5 Likes

That’s the answer I was waiting to read while scrolling

1 Like

I was experimenting making nano emulsions a while back, I could never get a “nano size emulsion.” because of the turbidity however I share similar findings on the onset of action. Don’t just chug 100 mg of nano emulsion it ended up being a wild ride.

4 Likes

:rofl: noted

Unpopular opinion, most alleged nano edibles, EVEN IF a true nanoparticle before the edible was made, in my experience they all lose the true nature of nano THC. I started producing nanoparticle cannabinoids in late 2016 and I can say unequivocally that not only is keeping the particle size in an edible near impossible, but 99% of nano products on the market have only a slightly faster onset than traditional oil-infused products.

2 Likes

Are you saying you have tried 99% of nano products on the market?
(we don’t use nano)

1 Like

Is this for all edibles? I would think it would vary from item to item depending on several factors including what temperature you are cooking at and when one infuses the nanoemulsion.

i was just reading through and wondering if agar agar would be helpful loke those japanese gummies. if they are just mixed and poured they would set and not melt and reform the thc masses, right ?

I was speaking with someone at Cannabis Conference who was using something in breast milk to make edibles faster acting. Fulvic acid also has a similar action through chelation.

3 Likes

Mothers milk. That’s the next big thing in cannabis, for that other thread… infused breast milk darts (along with naturally occurring single source minors)

You heard it here first.

I’m picturing the cookies logo but ‘boobies’

Let me know when to stop. :grimacing:

9 Likes

Boob bong! DDelightful…lol

1 Like

We make a fast acting jello that’s 80 mg
An it hits in 2 mins and last 4-6 hrs
Reg gummie 80 mg you get 12-15 mags of Thc. With ours you get around 56 mg
Problem is it scares the shit outta people who aren’t big edible users

Applying for patent