Failures

Speaking of microwaves, some say it’s a quick way to reactivate molecular sieves. All I got was a molten ball of 3a sieves in the middle of my flask that I couldn’t remove, so I had to toss the flask. I’m assuming you’re supposed to microwave them in flat sheets spread thin, but that fail was enough for me to not attempt that method again. :expressionless:

6 Likes

6a,10a is psychoactive and led to the hexyl tailed analogue known as Parahexyl and the more potent analogue Dimethylheptylpyran with the 1,2-dimethylheptyl tail

11 Likes

What solvent did you use ?

2 Likes

The @broken_glassware name checks out lol! I have had that happen a few times, never broke a stopper though!

2 Likes

No solvent just pure oil

1 Like

Hmmm ok well toke me 3 weeks to get it from 4 to 30% in hexane solution
Bubling nano bubles or big bubbles ?

1 Like

Did a nitro assist from a cold solvent tank, only because of another failure which was forgot to tighten the line on the tank did I notice oil in my solvent right off the tank nipple…:man_facepalming: my tank was colder so basically it was recovering back into itself because the crc takes a bit to get cold and flow through

7 Likes

My dad used to tell me; “if you aint making mistakes, you aint workin or learnin” and “the best thing you can do with a mistake is learn from it” – (Ive made a few…)

*Modifying a heat transfer loop, with an old school hot oil heater (with no internal by-pass) Didnt use lock/out -tag/out back then. Welders finished and we started the heater up. Evaporator temp wasnt rising as we expected. We discovered the closed valve before we got sprayed with hot oil, but the heater was “dead”. – (likely salvageable)

*Trying to adjust/reset/reseal a 4" ANSI flange while system under vac during vac test. Someone put too much seal grease put on gasket, Gasket sucked into condenser column. – (big pain in the ass to retrieve)

*Trusted a seasoned technician who was “sure” they installed a valve and “verified” its positioning by signing off on commissioning checklist. Turn system on, initiated feed, and instead of sending tincture to evap tower, 50L+ of solvent/oil shot into high into the air out of an open port on downstream reactor. Now we have double redundant checklists/signoffs. – (thank god for proper PPE, ventilation and all EXP components)

*On a liquid ring vacuum pump (mock up test), got lazy and used zip ties for a temporary discharge hose, upon startup, zip tie didnt hold long and shot a column of water on the 30ft tall ceiling. – (the drips from ceiling on my head even after 5 minutes really made me feel super stupid)

4 Likes

When I first started running nitrogen assist I didn’t sufficiently tighten my splatter platter hp clamp and blew a couple pounds of solvent laden oil into the cooler the collection vessel was in and made a dry ice/tane/oil slushy. Made for an interesting day.

6 Likes

man i would have cried :woozy_face:

1 Like

Had a company install a manifold for our dewaxer, so that we could turn the cold jacket fluid on it or not, while the valves were closed the liquid inside the jacket went from a super condensed state at -70C and expanded to its normal state at room temp with no where to go cause the manifold they installed blocked it, the expansion imploded the jacketed stainless steels walls like they were playdoh completely took out a 6"x36" material column and put a fat dent in a 3" dewaxing column.

Companies tech installed a chiller and closed loop system and didnt set up the overflow system on the glycol chiller, and kept it plugged, then overfilled it and shot glycol all over the internal components. They bought us a new chiller since it got toasted by getting every component effectively drenched in glycol

My boss at last job broke a beaker with a liter of distillate inside by putting it in a hot plate immediately after removing it from our refrigerator, there was basically none left that was salvageable, same guy dropped 2 liters of winterized crude on the floor/himself after removing from the 150C hotplate it had been on for 3+ hours decarbing, it melted his shoes if he wouldnt of had steel toes it would of been much worse still burned a huge chunk of skin off his foot.

5 Likes

Assume all vessels have pressure. Started tagging any units that are under any kind of pressure.

5 Likes

We had a 12L flask ruined by exhaust that was posing as crude from an outside source. Should have had the stuff tested before running.

3 Likes

Couldn’t figure out why my system wasn’t recovering. Found out that there was moisture in the coil and ended up freezing when I put it in dry ice. Make sure recovery path is clear.

5 Likes

Just wow!

Thank you all for sharing.

I’m not 100% certain that “liking” any of those posts feels appropriate to me :thinking:

I certainly like the spirit in which they are offered.

Learning from our own mistakes is one thing, others letting us learn from theirs is rare.

Bravo :clinking_glasses:

26 Likes

Fatal error: freezing material, letting it thaw or melt in any way, then cooling it again

Ice crystals cover the trichomes, effectively drilling your yields in the ass with a fat dildo

17 Likes

Ice water hash time!

7 Likes

My bosses read this board. So … yeah . No failures . …yet :stuck_out_tongue:

23 Likes

Lmfao!

I had my vac line get full of etoh during just this.

Blast off! My thermometer and adapter hot my ceiling and then the glass cracked on the tile floor. It still holds vac (lol). Been waiting 4 weeks for replacements to get in stock at my local glass-r-us (usalab) store.

Seperate fail
Edit
And my vac pump (trivac, spare now), STILL reaks like burnt ammonia from my last run I did for the asshat, I mean lying client. I’ve flushed 2x and did 3 oil changes. Still no bueno.

4 Likes

Not my mistake but I have pics. Do not do this to your pumps. There was a wax trap and mol sieve filter.

2 Likes