Failures

I was wondering if we could get a list of failures that people have encountered throughout their tenure in cannabis. In chemistry, people publish their success stories and barely mention any hiccups. I would like to gather all of the failures and put them into a categorized document or folder. I know that this could take forever, but it would definitely reduce the amount of time wasted on wild goose chases.

@Photon_noir @QGA @MagisterChemist @drjackhughes @Krative @Kingofthekush420 @Future what do you all think about this?

26 Likes

Bubbling pure oxygen through 80C THC distillate for 8 hours led to no increase in cbn

32 Likes

Decarbing crude in a SPD. Worse, heating nondecarbed crude in a closed SPD with the vacuum pump shut off, causing a hash volcano blasting out of the thermo port on the head :man_facepalming:t3: Back in the learn by failure days

40 Likes

Stream distillation does not produce a product that represents the flower.

33 Likes

Opening my bleaching clay column with leftover pressure and having 500 grams of t41 dust the entire area and my nostrils

40 Likes

Opening a jar of attempted diamonds with too much solvent in it. Painted my walls Amber and gave me some terpy hair gel

37 Likes

tried to make liposomes, made mayonaise instead.

34 Likes

Dropping a centering ring into a CRC column with AC on top and my face over the column. Had carbon coating my face and the inside of my nostrils. I’m just glad it was AC and not silica. :flushed:

17 Likes

Slabbing ang purging live instead of jarring it all. Jar was loud af but slab was kinda lackluster to say the least…

Forgetting to tighten nuts, bolts, or lines.

Over filling my tane bottle,

Unhooking my material column with pressure in, material everywhere.

Those are a few things i havent seen mentioned. I have done some of those other things also

19 Likes

making dry ice in a micron sock and losing grip on the Lco2 hose… whipped around like mad and nearly got hit by the damn thing.

12 Likes

Respirator dude

8 Likes

@sonicgardens

Didn’t smoke hash oil for years because slabs and wax always were always lackluster except for a few exceptions. Jarred sauce techniques up quality drastically.

People are still making slabs though and I’ll never get it.

9 Likes

Yea, it was a cheap lesson. The respirator wasn’t doing me too good sitting on the bench. :expressionless:

6 Likes

@anon93688 you should share some of yours on the reaction side.

To add for this thread, the iodine CBD—>CBN method described in the literature is not sufficient for scaled production, as you mentioned in the CBN thread.

9 Likes

If you use a cold trap for the iodine conversion, make sure you keep an eye on it or it will spit pressurized iodine gas out the top…

12 Likes

Great idea for an amusing thread, @anon93688! I wish I had room in my brain for all the fails in detail, but I usually just do things the right way with vague but strong semi-conscious alerts to pause right before I make a mistake. I could definitely say what NOT to do if I were explaining a specific procedure, though!

Ooh! I know! Do NOT add a stoichiometric equivalent of cannabinoids as MgO to a distillation flask of crude! Less than a teaspoon per liter of crude is plenty! More than that will turn into concrete with the resin, fucking up the distillation mechanics, making you want to push the temperature way too high just to save it, which can generate an imploding fireball if you vent air into it while hot! Yes, you can reach the actual flash point of cannabis resin in a distillation process! If there is high CBD content, any incoming air will make the condensing vapor turn bright purple, too, but don’t risk it!

17 Likes

Oh I love this one :joy::rofl: we all been there. Eyes wide, excitement , this is gonna be greee… bang crash pow awww shit. I had a pressure filter looks so pretty slurry layer after layer… and foomp sinter disc imploded sucked shit in my shit awww shit

7 Likes

Ran 4.5lbs of fresh frozen with 500 grams of Activated Alumina in the extraction column and 500g T-5 in the CRC. Ran cold butane and cold column (-78°C) and what I got out contained no cannabinoids.

16 Likes

Opening the valve to an unknowingly pressurized keg of etoh and getting blasted in the face with like 2gal of -80 crude.

17 Likes

Growing cannabis/dating a female wook

74 Likes