Failures

Open blast crc
Open blast at high altitude

Prv (rubber stopper) nailed me in the face and once again Cannabis hair gel. I expected it to happen on the crc and was wearing goggles

19 Likes

Haha I had to shave my beard once after getting sprayed with bho to the face.

14 Likes

Made a huge batch and put my vacuum chamber lower then my vacuum pump. Gravity took its course and ruined the whole batch. Didn’t have any way to remediate vac pump oil at the time. Total loss

7 Likes

Um I think that’s every guy every field of work :joy::rofl:

5 Likes

Yeah, but not everyone has the skills to fail as spectacularly as I did

14 Likes

:rofl::joy: oh man I love threads like this. Give her the ol kb. Aka kick box ha

4 Likes

Probably my favorites from my early days were:

1. Using a shop vac to empty a biomass column without checking to see if there was a filter in the vac. Covered the entire extraction lab in a film of dust, we found bits of it here and there for 2 years after

2. Accidently let a heat gun power cord rest against a 170c thermal fluid line which turn ruptured and pissed hot fluid all over a WFE, luckily it did not get on me.

3. Classic over ramping of vacuum and temp on undecarbed/degased crude causing rapid expansion through the distillation head and distribution head on an SPD

4. Using the wrong PRV on a SFE system being run autonomously overnight, causing a large amount of crude to needlessly be splattered on the lab floor, also cooling and hardening overnight.

16 Likes

Ooof. That sounds rough…rough stuff

1 Like
  1. Don’t microwave wash bottles to heat solvent, blew up a microwave like that… surprisingly enough it was from super heated acetone that super boiled all at once.

2. When back filling your vac oven with inert gas don’t forget about it… I did and it blew the seal off the oven and killed the vac gauge.Oven still “worked” after but was not great.

3. Always have a backup pump on your vacuum mantifold, I had a pump that electrically failed right as the head fraction was coming across.

4. Gaskets … gaskets will leak from time to time from damage, improper torque, or simply worn out. Vigilance, a few room air meters, and a A/C sniffer will keep you safe. I have seen leaks form and had to deal with some situations that otherwise would have been an emergency if I had not dealt with them.

5. valves… they can leak too, make sure you have all the tools you need to work on your extractor near by.

25 Likes

MAKE SURE YOU USE A THERMO WELL.

One of my first big boy runs in a 5L i did not have a thermo well and was using a normal threaded coupler, at about 150c it failed and boom, ruined run, everything was volcanic rock.

Also be careful who you buy crude from! one of my clients got sold 10 gallons of wiper poop.

12 Likes

Had all my heat exchangers freeze up, off grid mind you. It was quite a nightmare had to dump 12 columns into the collecrion. Then bleed and let det thaw over night

3 Likes

Started vacuuming a jar with the lid resting on top of it (not screwed on, just resting on top) after the jar had been in the freezer for 24 hours. As soon as the vacuum depth in the oven reached a deeper vac depth than was inside the jar the whole thing exploded, covering my oven with a thick film of Tangie. Now every time I open the oven I get smacked in the face with orange peels

6 Likes

Refluxung d9 with d10 contaminated material with T41 in the pot doesn’t get you anywhere good. You get d8 and d6a-10a. Maybe that’s good?!?

9 Likes

Using supercritical CO2 extracted crude in hopes of making diamonds in alkane is not worth anyone’s time.

12 Likes

What if you winterize co2 extracted crude then try to crystalize in an alkane? All without decarbing

3 Likes

I winterized and carbon scrubbed. I’m pretty sure the scrub took a bunch of THCA. I wasn’t happy with the idea of trying to crystallize without doing it though…

4 Likes

What does raw co2 crude look like unwinterized?

1 Like

Check my IG. It is very dense, haha.

I always run supercritical for speed.

1 Like

Told someone new as I was tightening a clamp on glass joint that you shouldn’t over tighten, as they break easily… Then I over tightened it and it broke

14 Likes

Forgot to vent a 5 liter sep funnel while separating pentane/water emulsion, sent a ground glass stopper 10 feet into the air. Of course it shattered the stopper

5 Likes