F42K Responsible for ∆8 Industry

https://www.inverse.com/science/delta-8-thc-science-and-controversy

13 Likes

That was pretty mother-fucking good article! I’m seriously impressed with the professionalism it was written with. They even quoted me, without quoting me: “Homie, please stop while you’re ahead.” was definitely me! It’s 7.5 seconds of fame. (Not a full 15 seconds because not even my handle was mentioned.)
Thanks for linking it. I actually really enjoyed reading that article!

26 Likes

My personal favorite:

“You probably should not be going to the gas station and buying some random Delta-8,” Powers says. “You also probably shouldn’t be buying boner pills or any of the other shit that they sell right up there at the front. You’ve got to be aware of what you’re buying.”

27 Likes

The article was OK, glossed over some important points IMO. No mention of all d8 vapes being hot for +0.3% thc… But they do focus on the byproducts (mystery peaks = isomer byproducts) as a concern. My favorite excerpt…

“he [KCA labs] raised about $1,000 to buy a random sampling of Delta-8 products in the Kentucky area and test them in the lab for “mystery peaks” and impurities.”

Mmm mystery peaks mentioned… Seems like a pretty big deal, something to worry both producers and consumers… To bad the actual peaks were ignored by these experts in the d8 testing field.

3 Likes

Not ignored and certainly discussed in the interviews.

I’m not sure this was the best opportunity to elaborate on those facts.

We prefer peer-reviewed journals.

19 Likes

So the olivitol results were not good enough to make inro a peer reviewed journal… I’d agree. Are you saving up your byproduct data for publishing in science journals? Get you some kudos on the ol cv?

I’d like to see a preprint up on the site for free at least, can you do us that kindness?

2 Likes

I would like to know how well intentioned the interviewers were when conducting interviews and how much they left out to intentionally create a subconscious narrative from readers.

2 Likes

I think the journalism was conducted very professionally. I can’t speak for everyone though.

@LabDog, I’ll see what I can do. We’re trying to make it available for free.

4 Likes

The answer you’re looking for is subjective at best.

I think the article provided a great foundation for readers with limited knowledge on the subject. Relatively speaking, even “cannabis experts on Future4200” have limited knowledge on Delta-8 THC — something I think Emma conveys excellently.

3 Likes

Much better than a lot of the articles out there. The only issue i see is then saying methods were first posted in March. But in reality is was a discussion topic for years before that.

3 Likes

I thought the same thing! How did they miss the year long monthly argument about the legality of D8? March was more like the zenith of activity with all of the Reddittors and states and what not. But definitely not when it was first posted about, that’s for sure!

4 Likes

I posted this 71 weeks ago on IG

As you can see we were already talking about making d8 from cbd

The time line is definetly wrong

I wonder who was the first person to mention the loop hole? :wink:

4 Likes

Ya I mentioned to her we first started talking about D8 Pre forum when @photon_noir first mentioned putting acidic dirt in the boiling flask :man_shrugging:t3:

She did include the part where I told her D8 has been in the literature for decades now though

11 Likes

First time I made in on accident was 2018 :call_me_hand:

10 Likes

My boss, Dr. Jon made the cover. Weird they didn’t reach out for a quote or anything :man_shrugging:

I think the Hemp Industry Association saying they agree that D8 is a part of the hemp plant and should be regulated, not banned, spurred the current interest.

But I definitely think f42k helped spur the initial interest.
Kudos

2 Likes

Washington State’s Liquor and Cannabis Board issued a statement noting that THC isomers created via chemical reactions (of which Delta-8 is one) can’t be sold.

Oregon’s OLCC also clarified that it is illegal for hemp/MJ producers to make isomers from natural cannabinoids, and they have a whole PPT devoted to it… https://www.oregon.gov/olcc/Docs/commission_minutes/2021/OLCC-Delta-8-THC-Presentation.pdf (see slide 9 for the rule making D8 conversions a nogo). So if you are an OLCC or ODA license holder, and you are making D8, you are doing so illegally and can/should (hopefully will) loose your license. If you have D8 products in your OLCC rec shop, you are also in violation and can loose that license.

Alot of you guys are near Eugene are you not? Hows it that you are making D8 by the liter again?

2 Likes

That’s really unfortunate. It would be nice to see d8 stay legal for rec, as long as people know what they’re getting.

6 Likes

And this is on the governor’s desk

1 Like

What does this do?

Does this make them have to study d8 and report back on the findings?

Man I cant even figure out how to turn the page… this is just the intro right?

Can you give us a summary of what it is proposing? ExPharma guy? Flay that mofo out

1 Like