F#$& the corporatocracy/pyrex pan caution

Well, that explains the explosions.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMFQhxK7Y/

Be warned my friends, lower case pyrex glass is not borosilicate.

Transfer your colds and hots with care.

6 Likes

Thought they made the switch like a decade ago.

I have a habit of acid etching shit nowadays to see if it’s glass or boro. The boro won’t etch at all but the glass will.

17 Likes

Use ss, literally pays for itself

8 Likes

Has anyone cracked a newer Pyrex dish putting it in the oven?? We cook a lotta brownies and pasta dishes in them and never have I broke one.

Maybe they ain’t ideal for lab glass but I’ve never seen one break from normal kitchen use.

2 Likes

Might be sketchy to go str8 from the oven to a cool marble countertop?

But no I’ve never had one break doing normal kitchen use

4 Likes

That can crack the marble or granite just as easy as the pan

5 Likes

Cracked/shattered one 2 weeks ago, days before MJ biz making some dank food. Was so sad.

Room temp to 275f oven.

Sounded like a dry ice bomb lol

I’m using ceramics now for baking after that. Soooo sad lol.

We ended up ordering pizza that night I was too tired to cook again.

4 Likes

Granite countertops are actually pretty resistant to thermal shock

Thermal shock is exceedingly rare for granite countertops. The typical home chef/cook wouldn’t expose their countertops to the temperatures that would cause granite to snap.

Source for the quote: Hot Pans, Thermal Shock And Your Granite Countertops - Colonial Marble & Granite

1 Like

Thermal shock is exactly how the Egyptians quarried granite. Does colonial marble and granite warranty their countertops against thermal shock? No, they don’t. They actually recommended not placing hot pans on your counter top in the link you posted.

Im sure it would have to be pretty cool. But I could see it doing that. That said, we use them and go directly onto our cultured quarts counters sometimes, no issues here thankfully.

2 Likes

Source on the Egyptian mining claim?

It’s not impossible for it to thermal shock but it’s ‘exceedingly rare’ , you’ll find the same phraseology everywhere you look. glass cookware will break from thermal shock exponentially more easily than a granite countertop , so your initial post is inaccurate. I’m not going to take it personally however you decide to digest this information

Edit: Common sense assumption but I just verified it. Borosilicate glass is far less resistant to thermal shock than granite

1 Like

Only breaks my parents have had on their granite countertops have been from impact/mechanical wear. No issues from thermal shock as they regularly use them to cool pans from the oven.

2 Likes

Oxo makes a good borosilicate pyrex dish

I have had no issues with these.

3 Likes

I’ve taken a “pyrex” pan out of the oven (450f) and put them on my stainless prep table and it exploded instantly. Since then i ALWAYS use a oven mat to put them on.

4 Likes

What tools do you use with stainless pans? I love our stainless paint scrapers for mixing and agitating batches in glass pans but i dont like the idea of stainless tools scraping against stainless pans.

4 Likes

Use fep tools, problem solved

As long as there isn’t a whole lot of butane in your collection, these hold up pretty well (polypropylene). The tips aren’t as sharp as the stainless ones so you can’t get as clean of a scrape.

any specific ones you can link? I have not been able to find any. thanks!

http://shop.paulmueller.com/teflon-scraper-blade

1 Like

Jesus… 15 times the cost of a stainless scraper.