Extraction & van der Waals Force

HFor some reason I have a feeling that DME won’t pull water through. It will just Be able to extract better than said others with material that has more water content.
I will find out either way.
Based on the purpose of that study one would assume when it suggests using butane on very dry material (is the better solvent) and using DME for wet…the purpose was for attaining terpenes etc

They had old women smell the extracts it’s pretty funny @Photon_noir I guess u didn’t waste time on that one

2 Likes

Righto… I wasn’t sure if you meant aromatics as in things with benzene rings or as in odoriferous. If all you want to do is pull smelly stuff, then it should work okay on some macerated wet plant materials like flower petals and lavender leaves. If you’re going for cannabis resin, it should also be okay, but it needs to be really cold to keep cells resistant to solvent permeation. To answer your other question, small ethers tend to behave a little like larger monoalcohols… a little dissolves into the water, and the rest forms a layer after the aqueous layer is saturated. Ethers have more hydrophobic character than their alcohol counterparts.
I will also add, especially since it hasn’t been mentioned even once, that ethers are HIGHLY INFLAMMABLE!!!
In fact, diethyl ether (aka ether), for example, likes to autoignite on the very static electricity formed by itself moving across the surface of its own container! Ethers are SO inflammable that they are practically considered explosive!!!

10 Likes

I’m definitely NOT an expert on this…but “I DID STAY AT a Holiday Inn last night”
…and I found these two pamphlets…could be wrong like my health care going up 5x since 2014…

3 Likes

This, amongst other reasons is why I switched to etoh cryo many years ago…and ln2.
:grimacing::man_shrugging:
Not a fan of hydrocarbons but they do some pretty cool stuff and I’ve all but given up on terpene collection

2 Likes

@anon86230761 jus curious why don’t you like hydrocarbons. I think it’s a wonderful group of solvents. N-butane and propane are not carcinogens. You can also technically say hydrocarbons are a natural solvent that are produced by organic matter decomposing. I was starting to lean towards ethanol for large scale production especially for cbd. I’m having second thoughts after what came to be in the crc water clear shatter. I believe it’s entirely possible to perform hydrocarbon extractions and end up with a final product that’s just terpenes and cannabinoids and the water clear tek is paving the way to make this happen

7 Likes

Lower Explosion Limit for butane is lower meaning it can explode at lower concentrations than dem. However higher concentrations of dem are required before the air ratio is too rich to burn. Dem may be slightly more powerful of a boom. Idk “ether” way I think you’re not in a good place if you hit fucked town.

Seems like you’re playing with similar odds here.

@Homegrown34 well I agree with you. And what you mentioned is mostly why. Several years ago…I think 2014, a close friend got cancer and we began making rso pills with coconut oil carriers and bho extracts.
When the push came in cali (lab testing, ppm/ppb/ppt…dewaxing And other things) cryo ethanol was absolutely amazing. Cryo temps, LN2 cold boils and good biomass…runs consistently hit 83-88% cannabioids, great yields and great taste. The raw oil was by far hands down better than co2 and hydrocarbon.
Also, in terms of production size, it’s still unmatched imo, unless you know of 4000lbs per day limits with hydro carbon setups. That’s about to scale for a 100 acre farm.
ACO alcohol clear oil or crude is also likely the most “certified organic” food grade oil you can make.
Medicinal value seemed(s) to be the best also.
I am definitely biased I will admit that.
I also don’t like things exploding or poisoning me or damaging my health or employees. I’ve been a master mechanic, professional fisherman, special Ed teacher, nutraceuticals lab and extraction labs and I will say that mistakes happen…and they will. I really like cognac, and I won’t cry over spilled etoh. But like @Photon_noir makes a point, :fuelpump::fire: boom, now your face is grafted ass skin.

Also why this forum is a godspeed, we can soundboard and say dumb things and think and plan and have some peer feedback…also get schooled by those with greater knowledge.
Loving the progress of the CRC tec
It’s impressive.
throw membrane tech to etoh though and again it outpaces everything else by miles…maybe. How about the hash people though?! Bringing it back to the Caveman era! My friends in Spain lovin’ it. Went past blonde hash now we got white

7 Likes

That being said wouldn’t decarbing your material prior to a bucket tek alcohol wash be more effective in reducing soak time because you’d be removing the COOH. Causing less residence time for soak.

1 Like

That’s the plan for hemp moving forward.

1 Like

Ethers go boom! Bottles of old ether in labs get the bomb squad called. Peroxides can be contact explosives. How to Work Safely with : OSH Answers

1 Like

Dimethyl ether doesnt share this property of peroxide formation. @slooty

2 Likes

Extraction & van der Waals Force - #20 by anon86230761 The picture he linked said so.

ctrl-F peroxide

2 Likes

CO2 is O=C=O not H2C=O=CH2. Still linear. You high? :wink:

4 Likes

Damn i forget where i read that but looks like you’re right.

1 Like

It says on the wikipedia the dimethyl resists oxidation relative to the other ethers

2 Likes

THANK YOU! I didn’t want to be the one to call it out…

1 Like

Ethers will also knock your ass out. Used to be used as anesthetic. Until people’s lungs caught on fire from sparks… The 1800s were wack haha

7 Likes

Anyone tried dme for bulk hemp extraction of CBDa?

1 Like

The research did make me want to make & sample some :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Holy shit… must have had DME on the brain before it was even mentioned! Thank you for finding that error! Sadly, I cannot go back to fix it, now. Yikes! :exploding_head:

@Krative, or anyone, PLEASE feel free to point out any errors I have made as soon as you catch them! I prefer not to accidentally disseminate misinformation! I remember writing the correct formula diagram elsewhere in that post, but I erased it, and (incorrectly) rewrote it where it is now, then followed through with describing the (erroneous) DME molecule! Sleep dep makes me do some truly disturbing things…:confounded:

3 Likes

@Photon_noir will do! Do you have any recommendations as to what temps and other conditions would make for a good extraction using dimethyl ether?

2 Likes