Extraction & van der Waals Force

Dimethyl ether doesnt share this property of peroxide formation. @slooty

2 Likes

Extraction & van der Waals Force - #20 by anon86230761 The picture he linked said so.

ctrl-F peroxide

2 Likes

CO2 is O=C=O not H2C=O=CH2. Still linear. You high? :wink:

4 Likes

Damn i forget where i read that but looks like youā€™re right.

1 Like

It says on the wikipedia the dimethyl resists oxidation relative to the other ethers

2 Likes

THANK YOU! I didnā€™t want to be the one to call it outā€¦

1 Like

Ethers will also knock your ass out. Used to be used as anesthetic. Until peopleā€™s lungs caught on fire from sparksā€¦ The 1800s were wack haha

7 Likes

Anyone tried dme for bulk hemp extraction of CBDa?

1 Like

The research did make me want to make & sample some :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Holy shitā€¦ must have had DME on the brain before it was even mentioned! Thank you for finding that error! Sadly, I cannot go back to fix it, now. Yikes! :exploding_head:

@Krative, or anyone, PLEASE feel free to point out any errors I have made as soon as you catch them! I prefer not to accidentally disseminate misinformation! I remember writing the correct formula diagram elsewhere in that post, but I erased it, and (incorrectly) rewrote it where it is now, then followed through with describing the (erroneous) DME molecule! Sleep dep makes me do some truly disturbing thingsā€¦:confounded:

3 Likes

@Photon_noir will do! Do you have any recommendations as to what temps and other conditions would make for a good extraction using dimethyl ether?

2 Likes

Haha well sorry have to point out one more thing then. What you posted wasnā€™t even dimethyl ether (or dimethoxy ethane) but an impossible tetravalent oxygen. 3 bonds is as far as Iā€™m aware the max for oxygen.

2 Likes

Yee boi

1 Like

THANK YOU! I wish I could like it twice.

2 Likes

I know, @slooty! Thatā€™s why I said ā€œā€¦(erroneous) DME moleculeā€¦ā€! No worries pointing it out to me or others! I appreciate it! Doh! :confounded:

Just so folks know, that paragraph should have read as follows:

Propane (and CO2) vs. Butane(s)
As you might surmise, propane has slightly less dispersive force, because it is smaller. It has only 3 carbons in CH3-CH2-CH3 configuration. Although they are single bonds and can therefore spin, there is not a lot of variation between \/ and /\ except possibly an extremely brief ā€”ā€” .
Carbon dioxide is O=C=O, which is a perfectly straight, stiff, short molecule. Double bonds cannot spin or flex (vibrate out of plane),
so CO2 is just stuck as ā€”ā€”.

1 Like

So what about the forced configuration change co2 can undergo under extreme pressures? Is that just outside the scope of this post?

2 Likes

I think so? Co2 doesnā€™t have much for solvency properties until 600psi, and even then itā€™s highly non-polar.

1 Like

I believe youā€™re talking about an extrinsic configuration change rather than an intrinsic configuration change, @Krative, @tweedledew. The molecules of CO2 do not change shape when compressed, but they do ā€œstackā€ differently. In fact, it is because they cannot change shape that they are able to do this, despite strongly repulsive forces between them. Rather than random toothpicks in a pile, the compression causes them to align staggered with one another, like toothpicks organized in a box, if that makes sense.

5 Likes

I was under the impression that the intense pressure allowed the co2 to stack itself with the other molecules present and stabilize/interact/solublize other carbonyl groups, alcohols, and other things with strong partial positives and negatives (did somebody say epoxides?:yum:) because of the quadrupole moment of CO2 that gives it a strong partial positives on itā€™s carbon and strong partial negatives on itā€™s oxygenā€™s. I thought it was that these interactions only become prevalent at substantially increased pressures?

3 Likes

Iā€™m pretty punchy from sleep dep at the moment, so please excuse my saying thisā€¦ how do I put itā€¦ yeah, something like that. You are basically saying the same thing I just said, but the irony of role reversal is not entirely lost on me. Youā€™re explaining the electromagnetic version of ā€œthey stack like toothpicksā€. I hope that doesnā€™t sound snippy! Iā€™m actually glad you brought it up! :blush:

7 Likes