Extraction questions (chiller , nitrogen , dewax)

novice here getting there though… sorry if any questions sound dumb and appreciate any help or answers …(remember reading a comment on thread someone saying no question is dumb enough doing this , safety is everything , so that gave me courage to post LOL)

recently got my hands on a precision px1 (v2016), used to have a stand alone closed loop system so its a pretty cool upgrade … one thing i have some questions about on is, it will be my first time using dewax column and using nitrogen assist. i have a taprite regulator that caps at 60 psi . wondering if thats over kill will be using 100 percent ntane . and i will be introducing it from the solvent tank do i bleed from solvent tank as well .? honestly also not baller enough yet to get an almighty julabo or huber chiller LOL . will a chiller like this from across international be good enough to make solvent tank good cold enough to make decent oil slabs AT LEAST LOL
https://www.acrossinternational.com/Ai-SST-20C-to-99C-7L-Compact-Recirculating-Chiller-C20-7sst.htm

im also guessing i have to grab 2 of them one for the solvent tank and one for dewax column ?
or is there some hack i can do to rock one for both jacketed vessels? also was wondering thoughts on anybody sharing there tec for how long they let solvent sit on dewax column and when you should initially introduce nitrogen at got a buddy saying he dont even use nitrogen for his px1 actually but precision saying thats what all big boys in the industry using soooo hmmm thoughts famunity? again any answers tips are appreciated !! also the guy that i got the system off was using a polyscience chiller with this from auto zone was like what the … he ssaid he managed to get it to go too -30 -40 with that tech but pretty sketch about that

https://www.autozone.com/miscellaneous-non-automotive/rv-and-marine-antifreeze/autozone-rv-and-marine-antifreeze/220632_0_0

what do you find sketchy about using propylene glycol as a heat transfer fluid?

it’s certainly less toxic than ethylene glycol, and that pink color is probably beet juice in a formulation meant to be used in potable water systems for winterizing.

did you read the MSDS? https://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/msds/en/US/220632

no, -20 C is not cold enough to do a proper dewax. I also suspect that the 2016 model also has a dewax column that is too small to actually dewax in (certainly the case for the 2015 model). you can certainly make decent product with -20C solvent if you get post processing right. although dropping fats out in CRC can get tricky (clogs).

the chiller originally sold with that rig could hit -40C with zero load, and -30C when actually chilling solvent.

@precisionnick’s calc for how much cold you need to chill a given amount of solvent are here: The ULTIMATE chiller calculator thread

did you use that handy search feature?

see (eg): Nitrogen assist assistance

you need a pressure difference to move solvent. so pressurizing your solvent tank with N2 is a great way to get it from there and into the material column. you could also push from there into the dewax, if there was room, and from the dewax into your collection pot. problem with that is that in order VENT your N2, you want to be (well) below your solvent’s boiling point, so you’ll need to know that…and understanding how it’s vapor pressure changes with temp would also be advised.

the engineering toolbox is a great resource, and the relevant link must have been posted 100 times around here at this point (Search results for 'engineeringtoolbox' - Future4200).

it’s probably even in Nitrogen assist assistance :wink:

(turns out it’s not. try 70/30 solvent refill - #11 by cyclopath)

which makes it much easier to vent that N2…because it never leaves your solvent tank.

1 Like

no hack. plumb in series or in parallel.

although I see little point in stalling at your extraction temperature in an attempt to drop waxes that you extracted AT THAT TEMPERATURE. I could be wrong…

1 Like