Extracting and winterizing while skipping the butane

To be honest if your goal is to make something to just dab for personal use, and not use butane, you might as well just go the Rosin route imo… I have seen people make ethanol dabs with the most advanced sort of effort and many steps of refinement and still end up with something that doesn’t match most butane or rosin dabs one could go to the store and get. Ethanol is for large scale and good efficiency not for making a few grams of tasty dabs… just my experience from having seen so may operations at so many sizes.

9 Likes

Fair enough. I’ve just seen that most people don’t put the work into the preparation (solvent, temp, etc) in order to save in cleanup on the back end.

2 Likes

Well you were the one recommending distillation. IMO by the time you’re suggesting getting a distillation rig, it sounds like that’s already more equipment than this guy wants to spend money on since he called a close loop for home use out of the question. An old terpinator type rig is only $1000…

1 Like

Gotta agree.

You’re never gonna outshine a butane extract with a eho from the same material, and folks will absolutely pay more for good squish than good BHO (so they must consider it “better” right?).

Maybe some kind soul will link the worlds smallest bubble machine and its delicates washing progenitors.

4 Likes

CryoMass Technologies has Transformed the bubble machines.

A little big for this home users needs maybe?

2 Likes

2 Likes

I have a decent amount of trim I’ll be using. Probably making a few ounces of dab. If I just ran all the material with tane and left it in crude form it will definitely be 2-3 ozs.

I used to have a rosin press but I sold it because I never used it. I make concentrates from trim and rarely used flower. I would get good returns on the flower that I did squish, but I felt like it was a waste.

Just run whatever you make through a Zero or Brita water Filter from walmart, it will make make black into amber and if you use some of the tips given above it will turn your amber into gold :+1:

6 Likes

What the hell.

I’ve got a significant quantity of trim that I need to process.

11 grams of bho crude I have that’s just been sitting forever. Liquor stores are open today so I’ll be using this as a test run for winterizing. My buchner funnel gets here tomorrow.

If that was confusing whatsoever you should stick to making solventless, much safer :+1:

4 Likes

It wasn’t confusing at all, but run it through a brita filter? Are you serious?

Yep, if you have some money to waste you can make your own filter, but if your only needing to make a couple OZ of concentrate for personal consumption that will work

Some examples of ethanol hash I made almost 10 years ago using just a Brita filter and cold ethanol/biomass

2 Likes

Flower rosin?

Yeah, that’s not gonna compete for quality with BHO.

Although looking at that last pic of your BHO….

At this point i believe your options have been laid out, perhaps not exhaustively, but reasonably well.

Open blast & use four cases of fuel
Purchase a CLS
Run QWET for EHO
Make crude EHO & learn to distill
Extract with water (3 buckets and a buchner)
Squish. from hash not flower.

You want to go through and tell us again why each of those won’t work for you?

Or pick one and ask any clarifying questions you need answered before you go try it?

Or do you imagine there is another route? One that works so much better that nobody is sharing it with you?

Winterizing your BHO gets you winterized BHO. It does nothing to solve your “fuck that’s a lot of butane required to make hash”.

You are not “winterizing, but skipping the butane”, you are extracting with a different solvent.

To perform your primary EtOH extraction, you want cold solvent. To winterize your BHO, you probably want warm, certainly not below rm temp.

Winterize: How much EtOH to BHO?
Extract: How much EtOH to biomass?

Incubation time? Winterizing, you get it cold and WAIT. Extracting, you start cold, and work FAST.

Not saying you shouldn’t winterize that BHO. Just that it doesn’t actually count as “practice” for extracting with ethanol in any real sense.

One of those options should work just fine. I’ll figure out what I’m going to do and post pics once it’s done. Yes I know winterizing bho gets me winterized bho. It’s practice for winterizing in general, to get me familiar with that part of the process.

You could not find the information you were looking for because you were stuck on “winterizing”.

You still appear stuck there…

If you extract with dri-ice temp EtOH, there is no need to winterize. No need to practice something you will have no need to perform…

The fats and waxes that are not soluble in cold ethanol? Turns out they’re not soluble in cold ethanol. So you don’t have to get the ethanol cold to drop them out, if you got the ethanol cold and didn’t pick them up.

Yes, you can absolutely extract with warm ethanol, then winterize…but if you’re gonna go that route it makes more sense to use a different primary extraction solvent.

2 Likes

I have to winterize that crude no matter what, and for the rest of my trim I’ll figure out what to do after that.