Extracting and winterizing while skipping the butane

It seems like this stuff won’t purge. It was crude bho, purged that then dissolved in everclear, winterized and filtered through my buchner funnel. Sat covered with a couple cloths at room temp to evaporate most of the everclear for a few days, then scraped onto parchment. Then started the final purge in my vac chamber at 90f. No matter what I do it stays super gooey. I even split the amount in half thinking the slab was too thick and turned up the temp to 120f. This picture was after I pulled it off the vac, agitated it a bit and hit with vac again. What did I do wrong?

If your dissolving and winterizing your product, I don’t know what other consistency you were expecting.

1 Like

I had some other stuff turn to pull and snap.

I don’t know anything about that product.

Consistency variations are typically due to terpene concentration or other garbage you may have pulled during your extraction. You may need to dry it out more.

So its like an unstable shatter?

That’s what I’m gathering. :octopus:

If your material is older you’ll have more decarb. More decarb means more THC (liquid) less THCA (solid).

More heat during recovery can cause decarb as well.

3 Likes

Possibly nothing more than use your butane purging experience to guide the time on what is now an ethanol purge.

The boiling points are more than 60C apart…one is gonna take longer.

It’s also possible that @EverettMarm is correct and the difference is that this batch has more thc (decarb) than your previous batch, because it’s older or you went hotter.

Chances are it’s all three of those…

2 Likes

This is after 48 hours under vac. Do you guys think I screwed up? Should I not have used 120f? It goes through intervals where all the bubbles disappear and it stops reacting, then after a little while it will start reacting again.

And I’m going to be honest, my dab is always super strong but tastes like shit imo. The flower that the trim comes from is always great though so that leads me to think that it’s not the material but because I’m using retail cans of tane. I have some fresh trim that’s 2.5 weeks old so I’m going to do qwet with that stuff and see if that fixes the flavor.

that might be user error at point of inhalation… a red hot nail makes everything taste like shit…

do you know of “cold start”?

the only way qwet will improve flavor is if the original terpene profile is not to your liking.

2 Likes

Come on bro. I only do cold starts.

I’m at a loss. I’ll see how the newer trim turns out and if it still sucks idk.

explain to the class why I should assume you had that part down.

you’re open blasting, you walked in the door refering to extracting with ethanol as “winterizing while skipping the butane”. you took your last batch of material up to almost 50C on purge after being pointed at multiple threads where folks suggest 30C.

I offered it as a possible explanation. If you want to see it as an insult, be my guest, but that was not how it was offered.

it might be exactly what the NEXT person reading through this thread needs to set them on the right track.

1 Like

Ah na man I didn’t take it as an insult. I was just saying.

1 Like

I started at 90f and it seemed like it wouldn’t budge after days. That’s the only reason I took it that hot.

And technically I walked through the door asking how to make diamonds some time last year.

1 Like

Yeah dont do that, get it purged asap, a coldtrap setup befor your vacuum pump will help keep everything safe

3 Likes