EtOH Filtration - A Big Ol Post

Na, Vincent just wanted to demo one somewhere and I guess they used Extractech alot for their R and D

It filters incredibly fast, you need a good chiller on it if you dont want the solution heated up as its filtered, the spinning basket creates quite a bit of friction

Id use 2 of these as my pre filter to the membrane skid. 1 20 micron and another 1 micron after so you never have to change bags.

One thing I want to try with this thing is seeing if it can remove the biomass from the solvent pre screw press

The website says it only goes down to 10 micron. I think i would go to 10 micron then go to using 0.1 um microfiltration membrane.

1 Like

Would you do this even if you’re going to winterize with a membrane?

Gotta love sterile filtration

Probably not. Idk. Maybe. It’s a cheap step to include because microfiltration only uses low pressure, and they’re very very fast.

1 Like

It would definitely be a good idea if you want to try and monetize the fats and lipids, youd have alot less impurities in there doing some micro filtration before the nano filtration winterization membrane.

Not to mention the flow on the winterization membrane would be alot better because it would be doing alot less work.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a good point about making the fats purer for sale. Also it’s good to just 100% eliminate any chance if particulates shortening the lifespan. Even though i don’t think anything below 10 really does harm.

2 Likes

Kumar from Evonik said 20 microns is fine i feel like that’s ballsy

Like you said why not eliminate as much as possible to increase the lifespan

2 Likes

Are you recirculating tincture between chilled solvent tank and centrifuge filtering every time or do you have 2 chilled tanks one with ethanol and one with tincture after cup?

Looks like one on recirc but I’m not the best with these diagrams.

Pig filter?

What would you recommend for CO2? Plate and frame?

NO!!!

Center feed, recessed plate filter press instead. No need to spend extra money on paper if you are planning on one that uses paper. Also, plate and frame is more work and not the best in my opinion.

Other filtration options are candle filters.

We are talking about CO2 crude, assuming its crazy high on fats. Also, it depends how big your batch is as press may be too big for some operations.

Unfortunately, yeah.

Is your thing workable or is this just the bane of your existence.

Every design is different.

If you’re extracting cold, keep your solvent feed and “tincture” separate. I would always recirculate tincture through a “rough filtration”. Several stages of bag filters, followed by lenticular or cartridge. Ideally you’d be able to isolate all of those individually.

2 Likes

No I get that but from the schematic that you drew it looks like you are recirculating your tincture/ using it multiple times for extraction before you send it to evaporation. Is that correct or am I reading this wrong?

@TheGratefulPhil

Mine would be to run 2 lenticular filters. A lenticular filter set up that has all the microns used in the bubble bag set-up for winterization: 220um>190um>160um>120um>90um>73um>45um>25um.
Then have it go through a lenticular filter that has 25um>10um>5um>3um>1um>.5um for final polishing.

So chromatography then? :grinning: Just having fun!

This guy runs a 50L roto and uses its vacuum to pull through a inox buchner with a winey plate or 2.5microns. He inserts his AO and bentonite an hour before the distilatilation is planned and just works through batches and batches up to 200L per day…

Pretty simple but works kindof great in the end…

Oh he does - 20C extraction for 15minutes and centrifuge after that, so the waxes arent there at all in the end product…

Any comments why would this be inferior to maybe a pressure setup, or a disk setup you mentioned in your possbile filter tek rundown?

So he makes a slurry an hour before distillation and then filters that, recovers it and decarbs it all within an hour?

Yes he makes this slurry wich passes the buchner and when the buchner fills up it goes steaight to the vacuum.

When he recovers 50-60% of the etoh, he dumps another slurry and the vacum pulls it in.

Meanwhile he just changes the filter plate on the buchner.

So its a kind of semicontiuous process untill he gets at least a couple of L or oleoresin to then dump out of the big 50L bulb. Cause thats the most hasstle and time consuming part in the end :slight_smile: