Ethanol v. CO2 v. Hydrocarbon.....Cage match 420

There is no shortage of threads on this subject so I tried out some new full spectrum Jack Herrer juice and tried to think it through (again).
When it comes to very large scale processing I think hydrocarbon extraction makes the most sense.
Ultimately, the reasons are simple.
Alcohol requires a separate large processing operation to re proof the alcohol and recover it from the spent biomass.
CO2 requires high pressures and compressors that drive up costs.
Hydrocarbon blends offer the lowest capital and energy costs.
Labor costs should be a wash.
That’s my story and I’m sticking to it…

The issue becomes regulators. Otherwise hydrocarbons for sure

2 Likes

Everything has it’s place :man_shrugging:t4: build around your desired end product

5 Likes

Also, will post extracted feedstock Be classified as hazmat material?!! That etoh and hydrocarbon material with residuals are gonna burn holes in pockets.

Factor that into your cost if it’s gonna be $5/lb to remove from facility.
Funny thing is about the “full circle”.
Just when you thought co2 was dead forever…

Plus, one little trick up the sleeve.
But it’s onjy gonna get more weird. I hope you love what you do because the people that are here for the money :moneybag: are gonna burn like pigs in the fire.

2 Likes

Yes since the vaping isseu s I have been focusing hard on hydrocarbons
Butane in this case for hexane and heptane where already in my arsenal at scale
And with the coming of corken s and blackmer s and my on it s way of a cowell Mac compressor
The invention of the Clorox. Crew
Have made butane a very attractive solvent on large scale
I m building a large butane extractor allá atlas by purge labs and think that
1000 kg is feasible on a daylie

3 Likes

Do as much as possible now before the iron curtain drops and government has two hands and a collar around the industry.

1 Like

When large corporations become involved, regulations are not a problem.
Petrochemical companies, in particular, have a way with the regulators and actually use regulations as a means of keeping out undesired competition.
When you have a legal department that is good at its business behind you, the options for creating economic hurdles for those without corporate muscle are many.
As far as biomass, a large facility would likely burn it for steam to power the processes rather than dispose of perfectly good, clean burning BTU’s.
In my long experience, regulations rarely drive large scale process selection.
Economics count, especially if you have to compete with those guys from China.
They don’t need no stinkin’ regulation.

… oh, and by large scale, I’m thinking about a million pounds feedstock a day complex.
That would be a very small refinery.

1 Like

Damnit!!

perfectly reasonable excuse for setting one’s meds on fire…

1 Like

That might be our only luck
Any facility producing a million kg of biomass is gooing to operate less than a few months per year :grin:

1 Like