CO2 vs Ethanol Comparison

Trying to compare CO2 vs ethanol for processing hemp at industrial scale (20+ lbs / hr) into a winterized crude oil and wanted to run it by you guys as a sanity check.

There were several things not included in the study since I don’t have a good way of estimating them. Would appreciate any input if someone has a good way to estimate the cost to run a C1D1 or C1D2 lab vs non-regulated lab, the cost to dispose of ethanol or biomass soaked with ethanol, and ethanol re-distillation or proofing

Summary

Throughput - Processing Power in kg biomass processed/hr

• Cold Ethanol - 30 kg/hr
  • Warm Ethanol - 20 kg/hr
  • CO2 - 22 kg/hr

System Cost and System Cost vs Throughput
Includes extraction vessel, centrifuge/spinner, chiller, carbon filter, ultra low temp freezer where applicable

• Cold Ethanol - $514,000 & $17,276 per kg/hr
  • Warm Ethanol - $455,000 & $22,244 per kg/hr
  • CO2 - $2.5M or $114,271 per kg/hr

Operating Costs
Excludes loss of cannabinoids, but includes cost of energy (electricity, natural gas, LN2), and solvents

• Cold Ethanol - $111.06/batch, $2.04/kg, $3.73 per kg/hr
    • Assuming 2% solvent loss and ethanol is $11/gallon
  • Warm Ethanol - $41.95, $0.77/kg, $2.05per kg/hr
    • Assuming 2% solvent loss and ethanol is $11/gallon
  • CO2 - $135.49, $1.24/kg, $6.21 per kg/hr

Extraction Efficiency
Extraction Efficiency of solvent * solvent recovery

• Cold Ethanol - 81% = 90% * 90%
  • Warm Ethanol - 86% = 95% * 90%
  • CO2 - 74% = 75% * 99%

Cost Assumptions

• Electricity $0.08* /kWh
  • Water - $0.0026/gallon
  • CO2 - $2.75/kg
  • Ethanol - $10.00/gallon
  • Natural Gas - $14.76/MCF
  • Liquid Nitrogen - $1.89/gallon

Operating Cost Assumption
Electrical usage approximated by taking 1/2 of the maximum usage of the equipment (V * A / 1000)

Costs not Included

• Maintenance
  • Labor
  • Rent
  • Solvent Disposal
  • Re-distillation costs
2 Likes

Good analysis! I would think solvent loss would be a little less on warm ethanol than cold ethanol but otherwise everything looks about right (obviously, I don’t know what equipment is being spec’d though).

When you say that “redistillation costs are not included”, do you have “solvent recovery” in there?

I would assume so, but i don’t see it explicitly listed.

Turns out that many folks are able to strip 190proof off their extract in single plate stills (FFE, rotovap, moonshine still without reflux column).

So long as they don’t try and get all of it at once, and retire the last bit to “cleaning solvent”.

I’ve only looked at cold ethanol extraction (-20 or lower), and simple stills I’ve purchased or built. I always finished in a rotovap, and I segregated that solvent.

At $10gal I’m guessing you’re looking at heptane denatured ethanol.

Getting back exactly what you put in doesn’t seem to happen with that stuff. I haven’t had appropriate analytics to sort that out (can’t just use a proofing gauge) In any of the spots the owners insisted on using that stuff, but I’ve got a buddy who is an HPLC operator at an OR hemp facility who thinks he has.

Pretty sure I could use the SRI 410c MM in front of me to figure it out… if I wasn’t currently sourcing solvent from a local artisanal distillery (should check methanol levels :thinking:)

Thanks guys. Sounds like the numbers seem pretty reasonable.

@doc seems that warm ethanol is better – maybe 88% = 95% extraction efficiency * 93% solvent recovery (up by 2%)

@cyclopath
I guess I meant “reproofing” instead of “re-distillation”

Processes were costed for solvents and utilities with the following processes included:

• Cold Ethanol - Extraction > Chlorophyll Scrub > Ethanol Evaporation
  • CO2 - Extraction > Winterization > Ethanol Evaporation

Why does ethanol have to be retired from extraction to a cleaning solvent after re-proofing – it’s just not high enough anymore?

What other types of ethanol is there? I just looked for 190 proof ethanol. Is there something cheaper or better than heptane denatured ethanol? How do I know if it’s denatured ethanol?

One thing I might have overlooked is manpower. How many people are needed to man a large semi-automated ethanol system or a CO2 system?

It has to be retired unless you reproof.

And only the last little bit. And reproofing is easy. Except if you add heptane to the mix. It leaves quickly.

Guessing into cold traps or atmosphere depending on process.

Alternatives? Straight ethanol. Beverage grade.

1 Like

You won’t be charged the $26gal excise tax on denatured ethanol. The stuff you linked is $36gal after taxes.

What’s beverage grade alcohol? Anything I’ve ever drank was only 80 proof… maybe 151 lol.

How can you tell what’s beverage grade vs denatured?

I think you are missing the bigger picture…
https://future4200.com/t/ethanol-v-co2-v-hydrocarbon-cage-match-420/53090

you ask. or look at the price…
[maybe even read the MSDS]

denatured can be paraphrased as “specifically poisoned so you can’t (won’t?) drink it”.

or perhaps “poisoned so we don’t have to tax your ass for being a sinner”

2 Likes