Ethanol Diamonds?

9 Likes

THanks THChemist. I know you’re capable of extracting at much lower temps than us and don’t do any post processing. Could you share what sort of input biomass you use? Dry cured or fresh frozen?
Thank you!

Dried and cured.
Get it to 5-10% ethanol (5% for sugar, 10% for slower, larger growth) and start playing around with heat and vacuum.

At the right percentage of ethanol you can just leave it jarred up on a shelf and it will work its magic. This sweet spot will depend on strain due to the varying ratios of terpenes.

15 Likes

Thank you sir.

1 Like

What do you do with the portion of oil that you pour off from the crystals/what is that consistency like?

better off platter-in-mantle. was able to pour up post roto

1 Like

The couple times i’ve tried to make diamonds I end up with some crystals and the other half has to be poured off and purged down further, which never ends up being “sauce” only a pull and snap shatter. Any comments about this?

try pouring it in a wider vessel with more surface area on the bottom. Don’t go over an inch high in the vessel.

4 Likes

I’ve done thin pours too…the sauce just eventually crystallizes/budders up too

how long are you allowing it to crystallize initially? if the sauce continues to crystallize then it is still super saturated with THCA and you shouldn’t separate it from crystals that have already started growing.

3 Likes

So if I were to have capped what I made in that platter that’s in the mantle with a miner lid could I have made diamonds if I had set it in the oven?

So if it’s still supersaturated should I just leave it alone? or should I increase/decrease temp to encourage the rest of the THCa to crash out? should I pull additional vac to remove more solvent or will that stall the crashing if there isnt enough etoh for the THCa to crash?

1 Like

Second this

from the picture you posted its very difficult for me to tell if there are any crystals in there. just looks like it is bubbling which isn’t necessarily a good thing. I know that mantle doesn’t show temps on the knob, I think it may be a bit too hot there.

If there are crystals growing then yes capping it and leaving it in moderate heat should continue the growth. “diamonds” as in boulders may be a stretch. that is fairly difficult to achieve from ethanol.

1 Like

I suggest giving it more time. I know it is difficult to be patient, but its worth it. slowly increasing the saturation while the thca is crashing out of solution is definitely helpful, so a moderate vac wouldn’t hurt. To much vac too quick would cause it to remain a viscous oil.

2 Likes

Thank you for the help

would love some links to videos you mentioned.

Thanks THChemist. I’m curious as to why you might think pulling too high a vac will cause the oil to remain an oil and not precipitate eventually

Thanks!

It’s bubbling cause I’m evaporating alcohol to get it to that state to pour it up to purge it. If I were to get it that saturated again with a digital mantle could I just cap it off and bring it down to a moderate temp.

Do you always pour off the sauce and then finish the “diamonds”, so thereby always having 2 consistencies from 1 extraction, or do you alway keep them together?