Equipment Sourcing: You need it, I can find it

I need a closed loop bho extraction system for a beginner. Something small I have a few add ons I would like to use if price allows. Can you help?

1 Like

you can usually find these on Ebay mad cheap typically. Not only the -20c version but they make a -85c degree one as well that ive had my eyes on for a while

Not trying to hurt your sales…just know there are tons of these on ebay always.

explosion proof:

3 Likes

Why…

Distilling cannabinoids and terps.

I would strongly reconsider… a mantle based SPD is far superior for the cost. Kugelrohr is overpriced, and basically garbage. I built one for under $500 with a toaster oven and an Arduino fyi, $7k is robbery.

12 Likes

I agree the new price is robbery, and I dont like the half ass window wiper rocker version versus a full rotation, and if I had it my way it the material bulb would be a properly rated wide mouth straight sided bottle vs a rounded bulb’s with narrow necks.

I attempted a super ghetto toaster oven tek. I dont have a strong requirement for a short path unit, but am always looking out for used/refurb deals.

Not counting cost, I think there is a lot there to argue for the kuge, shorter path, if properly done has finer control and more even distribution of heat with forced air type lab oven.

its really the vacuum u need to look for. if you have a good enough vacuum u can use small sublimation unit. Has @Beaker showed his smaller sublimation unit on this site yet? cause its super legit and exactly what people should do for small “distillations”

3 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

what about ur small cold finger sublimator thing?

Here is the small one I got. It works fine but needs a water chiller line. It is for very small samples of course.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MV4KV53/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is my horizontal rig. It is set up there running a second pass.

No oven needed. Just a mantle and stir bar mechanism. I use this routinely.

A rotating bulb set up cannot get close to the vacuum this rig can and a stir bar can be made to do the same thing. This rig pulls down to ¾ of one micron. Check the ultimate vacuum specs on a kugelrohr over that rotates and you will see it cannot get even close to that. It is important methinks.

3 Likes

people r spending thousands of dollars on personal rosin presses that only make like a few grams at a time so you never know lol

3 Likes

Can you get me some of the dry cleaner bags used in ethanol extraction? @Future said he gets them from you? Thank You!

3 Likes

Good luck with that. Those were a dime a dozen 5 years ago and now they are gold.

BIG: https://cascadesciences.com/shop/accessories/dry-decarb/mesh-bags-cdo-28-dry-decarb-oven/

SMALL: https://cascadesciences.com/shop/accessories/dry-decarb/mesh-bags-model-cdo-5-dry-decarb-oven/

2 Likes

Do you want it certified? Where are you located?

Used heating appliances are one thing but used refrigeration? Not a great idea unless you know how to fix it. Especially the -85. Those are known problem children.

I am all for bargains. Just be careful with used fridges.

1 Like

I can second the used cyro-freezer warning.

There are few folks qualified to work on them (none I can find locally) and they really don’t last very long. The two I picked up died in a) two months, b) two years. Worth the $4k (total) I paid for them? Maybe.

When I was doing instrument repair, my boss actually went and got his refrigeration tech license because the guy the university had was retiring, and there was nobody within 50miles willing to work on our cryo-freezers. We did have a number of freezers that were 20 years old (repaired at least once), but the mean time to initial failure seemed around 5 years.

I’ve got a -40C chest freezer that I picked up for $120 off craiglist that is still holding temp at the 3 year mark, and I’ve had good luck with used freezers in general, but -70 or -80 freezers seem to be a different beast as far as longevity goes…

High ambient temps will also reduce their longevity. We had afternoon lab temps over 100F last summer (before AC as installed). -80 didn’t make it a week.

3 Likes

Yes. This all day. Difference between the -40 and the -85 is the difference between a my car and a Formula 1 race car. Mine goes to Jiffy Lube 3x per year if she’s lucky. Theirs has a pit crew with specialized tools meet them on the track every few laps.

6 Likes

@Future or @Sidco_Cat do you have a recommendation for type/brand of 50/100L glass reactors for the pesticide remediation saline washes?

1 Like