Equipment Sourcing: You need it, I can find it

Such a simple device, it’s one of the few things I suggest from Across International. Also, the condenser is a nice feature, it allows you to do warm alkane/adsorbent scrubs, also nice for large volume super saturations of said alkane

3 Likes

How about used equipment?

That isn’t my square. I used to maintain an Ebay alert for any of our Cascade equipment because we could easily buy, refurb and flip. I would also check out LabX.

2 Likes

I’m looking for an explosion proof sonicator that isn’t going to cost me $7K! Any ideas?

TIA

I’m wondering whether anyone has good relationships with suppliers in Europe?

We have accounts with VWR, Sigma and a local supplier, but they’re always so expensive on equipment and hardware.

Even finding a good machine shop/stainless supplier has been difficult over here, and whilst there’s a great amount of choice in the US … it’s really fucking shitty when you get stung by your bank for currency conversion, you get stung by the courier for shipping abroad in both costs and time, and you get stung by customs for importing goods from abroad.

For comparison … the ticket on a gallon of Viscosity is $6,000. By the time our last gallon got through customs it ended up costing us over €8000 (8k EUR is $9862 at current rate).

Sounds like someone needs to start a store!

1 Like

First, let me find out what a Sonicator is.

Are you in a regulated environment and need a certified system?
Passive or active solvent recovery?
Dry Ice or mechanical refrigeration?
Size? Consider running this every day, twice or three times every day for 5 days per week, 52 weeks per year. Really think about this one.

Once you answer those questions, then apply your budget to the equation. Consider the fact that the extractor is only part of the process and you will need ancillaries like recovery pumps, Vacuum ovens and vac pumps just to start. Winterization will require ethanol, filtration glassware and pumps for that as well.

Take a minute and really think about what you want to produce in terms of product and amount. There is absolutely no shame in starting small. You can do that in a really, thoughtful and smart way that sets you up for incremental improvements.

Be safe. Be smart.

Why do you need an explosion proof sonicator?

Hi, I tried messaging you to make direct contact. I am in need of 100 liter glass reactors with variable speed paddle stirrer. I prefer single wall a tank as I do not need to chill or heat the tank. Used is fine and I prefer to use American made glass. I will need 8-10 such units. Please advise if you can do this.
Thanks!!!

2 Likes

Why glass?

1 Like

100 liter is huge for glass. Stainless will cost you less in the long run, and will last much longer. Plus it will last through those bb gun fights in the lab! Lol I kid I kid…

3 Likes

My eBay fu is strong:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F232588849752

4 Likes

We use it for cleaning glassware with alcohol. Regular sonicators are designed for use with water.

anyone know where I can get a used pope?

I don’t know about used, I can get a new 2" for 40k with all the bells and whistles. What diameter did you want?

1 Like

pesticide remediation. Want to see the emulsion layer…

1 Like

To jump in on glass vs stainless, if there was a large enough sight glass that ran from zero dead space valve up one third of the tank, like a skinny tall one (think back of an edwards 80) it would eliminate the need for a glass tank.

I just got a ridiculous quote from Buchi for 100L reactors 68k each bare bones 6 to 10 week lead

1 Like

I needs parts for my agilent vac pump. We purchased through Cascade.

and suggestions for how it got into this state.

It looks like you need a new tip seal kit. IDP-15? Right here:
https://cascadesciences.com/shop/vacuum-purge-equipment/pump-accessories/scroll-pump-tip-replacement-kit-agilent-idp15/