Enzyme Degumming

Here’s a picture of 1.5g of @Shadownaught Degumming enzyme dissolved in water and mixed into some (what I suspect is) wiper waste

For reference this stuff was dark brown when I started, this is 15 minutes into degum

Holy hell…will follow up post winterization.

5 Likes

How much water to oil?

Somethings wrong

I’ll show you what my stuff looks like I just degummed in methanol.

What solvent you using?

Less than 10mL per kg

1 Like

Using:

Extremely shitty “first pass” - 1kg
Enzyme Degum - 1.5g
RO Water - 10mL
Ethanol - 10:1 Ratio to “first pass”

Mixed by hand, then homogenized for 30 mins

2 Likes

Something is wrong ? How so ?
What results are you seeing ?

Yeah folks, shit is weird.

24 hours later and I have a huge green blob. Gums have precipitated themselves out, they’re clumped white on the bottom of the jar.

I did dissolve some in EtOH 9:1 and it’s sitting in dry ice ready for winterization

2 Likes

So much for sience :grin:
Well like to hear the end result
So you went from dark crude to green right ?
What happend to the 10:1 etho that also the whole thing became yello gelatin :grin:

Wait so it wasn’t already dissolved in ethanol?

No this is just the first pass distillate + 10mL of RO water.

O ok misunderstood that
So first pass / 1.5 gr enzym /10ml ro water homogenized 30 min
A green glob as result ?
Greener than the pic you possted earlyier ?

1 Like

Perhaps a little bit greener, looks like poorly made cannabutter

Intersting
I am not uused to wiped film distillates
But does it seem to be chlorphyl that makes the color ?
Or are there degredaded terps in that distillate that make up for the green ?
Either. Way allong the road i have learned that only making. A distillate out of anything shows the benefit of things
Very interesting thou thx

1 Like

The homogenizing step probably also benefits. The glob
For if all was so wel disperced in solution it probably didn t find a way out to top or bottom if it wan ted to

I just read your glg wiper sop and pretty curious about the degumming in methanol.

I currently add 20% hot water to crude like in the Colombo labs sop after T5/T41 scrub then add 1.5g degumming enzyme per liter of crude and it’s pretty difficult to get it mixed thoroughly with the water.

I was under the impression alcohol would denature the enzyme but it looks like that’s not the case.

Will degumming work as well in ethanol as it does in methanol in your experience?

3 Likes

We sell a degumming clay as well, DGC. It uses citric acid impregnated clay and is easier to use because you don’t need water and can be filtered out like any other absorbent.

When using enzyme or clay you should always winterize after as fatty acids will have separated from phosphate heads and need to be removed.

2 Likes

I actually got some of this from you and been meaning to try out.

Do you have instructions/sop on how to use it?

Also do you think it would be better to use it before or after doing hot dry scrubs of crude with T5/T41?

Once you activate the enzymes they wont denature unless you cook them too hot,

I mix them with water and dump them into my methanol and mix for 30 minutes, warm filter then freeze over night and filter to winterize

The degumming clay can cause isomerization issues from what I’ve heard, I’ve had 3 ppl ask me about it and it was indeed the acid from the clay causing small amounts of d8.

2 Likes

Howdy,

It is recommended to use DGC before other media but you can use them in series during the same process. In soybean oil processing the DGC is used first and then other absorbents are added during the reaction phase.

So for example, you would add DGC (1-5g/kg) and mix for 5min, then add other absorbents and mix for recommended time…then filter everything out together as SOP recommends.

DGC is acidic but is used in small concentration so as to avoid affecting material too much. That said, using DGC means you can often achieve success with less follow on absorbents. So when dialing in your own process start small with everything and work up.

What kind of temp do you recommend having your oil when mixing in the dgc for the first 5 minutes?