EHO Color Remediation

ethanol
eho

#404

You’re doing God’s work


#405

If your crude is that black, charcoal might be necessary to pull some of the darkest stuff.


#406

Do you follow skunk pharm?


#407

Read through their site a while ago. Anything in particular?


#408

Just mostly the qwet sop seems pretty good to me and what I use mostly


#409

@Killbill


#410

I reaaaaaaallly wish I could afford a sonicator right now. Super curious what I could accomplish with etoh and bleaching clay in ultrasonic


#411

Thanks for that! I was considering using charcoal but figured it was only good for the greens. I’ll be sure to load that in the next column.


#412

I assumed it had chlorophyll if it was that dark.
Theres green, brown and some red and yellow chlorophylls as well. AC seems best for greens and brown


#413

It looks like your medias are probably becoming overloaded with whatever it is they’re removing. I do think a bit of carbon could do some remarkable things for your color, but used sparingly.

T-5 based on the research referenced earlier becomes less effective when the overall concentration of compounds we’re aiming to remove is higher. So, when the product first strikes the media it is more effective than it will be as the undesirable compounds build up in the solution passing through it, not only because the media is becoming more spent, but also because of its tendency to perform less efficiently when exposed to high concentrations of undesirables.

I’m going to post a few pictures demonstrating t-5 affecting color with extended exposure at room temperature later tonight. A unplanned expirement caused by my equipment malfunction and overall laziness.


#414

I’m wondering if this stuff might just be too filthy… The column slowed way down, so I’m waiting on the other half to come through and did a carbon scrub of the first half. Pretty much zero color change.


#415

It could be that whats left in that crude is just thermally decomposed pigments. Pheophytin is the decomposition product of chlorophyll and if i remember correctly is a brown color.

You said this was ran through a WFE right? Maybe this crude was originally full of chlorophyll but now is just filled with god knows what. It would explain why conventional bleaching practices arent working. Its a different compound youre trying to remove. @coppertop


#416

Just to be sure I understand, you reran the filtered solution through a new clean bed of filter media?

How did you scrub the first half with carbon?


#417

That would make total sense. I’m thinking of just reclaiming the heptane and running this through the SP and trying this again with extract I made myself in order to control other variables. Another member here ran the crude from the same guy (and it appeared to be the same stuff) without any polishing at all beforehand and his distillate came out looking pretty good.


#418

I ran it through a carbon bed on top of a celite bed in the Buchner.


#419

Physically mixing the carbon in the solution dramatically helps with adsorption efficiency.


#420

That’s my preferred method, maybe you need agitation in heptane, but more likely it just doesn’t grab what you’ve got.

I’m still interested in what would happen if you ran it through clean t-5, but I know the cost and time can get frustrating.


#421

Yea, what started out as an exciting day is turning out to be pretty disappointing. I’ll have to just move on and try again later when I have cleaner extract that I put together. This stuff has to be the filthiest stuff I have ever handled, so I’m not too discouraged about trying again with cleaner crude.


#422

I need to stop dragging my feet and solve my pump issue from a week or two ago now lol

I wish I was more confident about my understanding of air pressure and air pressure regulation :dizzy_face:


#423

I hear you there. That’s why I designed this system with a 60 psi pressure relief valve. It can supposedly handle 150 psi, but pressure scares the shit out of me. Especially with self built equipment.