EHO Color Remediation

In the future, when I can afford a small CLS and have a safe place to run it I’d like to try the CRC tek by loading the column with ETOH crude and blasting it with isobutane. It seems like the industry is primarily divided into just three camps, ETOH, hydrocarbon and CO2. Be cool if I could combine the scaleability of ethanol with the color remediation ability of butane and have the best of both worlds.

Though if running this extract through my column with heptane works, I may be able to skip that entirely. Might still opt for experimenting though, given how much time it would save in reclaiming isobutane vs. heptane.

4 Likes

My eventual goal is a dcvc with co2. I just need to build a chamber for it. Co2 is magnificently tunable, so a few minute blast should be able to separate out any compounds I want

Co2 (imo) is best used for post processing

Also since it can be as polar or non-polar as you want, the filtration teks should work damn well. Plus then no need for post purging either

5 Likes

I’d love to experiment with CO2 as well, but that’s going to have to be further down the line since as I have quite a few other tools in the 30-50k range I need to pick up first. The ability to tune the polarity of your solvent is nothing to sneeze at, and I could totally see its applicability in DCVC.

There are also a few customers I have run into that refuse to sell anything other than CO2 extract because “butane and ethanol is toxic”. I tried explaining that it doesn’t matter with CBD isolate since it has to be crystallized with pentane anyway, but nobody listens. Still trying to decide if I want to cater to that ignorance or not…

4 Likes

You and all us crazies it’s line snorting lines of information lol

4 Likes

Catering to ignorance has made a LOT of people filthy rich in this industry. Not saying its the right thing to do just saying its the norm.

7 Likes

Hang in there brother

2 Likes

Ppl don’t get paid for being dumb lol

1 Like

Well I’m gonna have to say that’s overwhelmingly false lol. (Insert Paris Hilton, Kardashians, pet rock, all of reality TV, bureaucracy in general, Trump etc.)

3 Likes

People get paid for catering to dumb people.

3 Likes

Thanks, I will switch to a better carbon! At first I thought this carbon was not effective when I used it as a warm scrub as recommended by most. However by adding it to cold solution and filtering it cold it does remove greens. But it could only be better and I’m concerned it may impart oranges or alter pH negatively otherwise.

I would like to mention to everyone here to that you can remove carbon without Celite by using glass microfiber filters it’s very effective. Sometimes nice to have a paper filter do the work rather than a making a cake.

2 Likes

I stand corrected

You dont need to make a cake. In bho i loose pack my powders.

Had an epiphany moment concerning magnesol and decarb. I think you could theoretically lighten a decarbed oil again using magnesol since it works so well at cleaning used(heated) oils in other, more common, applications.

1 Like

Its not really relevant here but ive read magnesium can be used to decarboxylate an extract without heat.

4 Likes

I tried many brands of carbon and Carbon-Chemistry’s hardwood worked the best. Some of the generic carbon on amazon is practically worthless.

4 Likes

I’m going to have to look into that further. I’m interested in the idea of decarbing while cleaning my product up simultaneously.

@cyclopath I’ve really been wanting to rerun some crude through my mini closed loop but I’m concerned about not being able to achieve enough pressure with my passive system. Maybe I could recharge my butane chamber with no2 and open it like I’m running it, but I’m not really sure. I was thinking about treating it like a dcvc column and dry loading it by evapping it into a mass of celite, then blasting it, that way it is more likely to dissolve completely because it isn’t one thick mass… theoretically.

2 Likes
1 Like

So @TheLostBiologist posted some pretty clear golden etho shatter on his Instagram today. Only uses bento and ac. Does his extractions at at least -60c he says.

4 Likes

Yup, best way to get light stuff is suuuuuper cold. But also the least (relatively speaking) efficient and cost effective method of extraction.

I think gold might be achievable at freezer temps with a super fast pull.

*Edit actually it’s totally achievable, I’ve done it lol.

5 Likes

How fast is fast? I do 3 and 5 minute soaks and the 5 is almost always darker than the 3. -40 is the max temp for a smokable extract as far as I’m concerned. Even then if you’re not colder than -60c it’s going to be darker. If you want yeild go warm. But if you want quality go cold.

The one Renchi was talking about.

That one was done at -75 for 3 minutes.

7 Likes